We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chisasibi roads

Montreal, Canada
2 posts
Chisasibi roads
Save

Hi,

I will be driving to Chisasibi from Montreal in July with my car a toyota prius, are the roads good for a car

thanks

vince

5 replies to this topic
Quebec
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
19,335 posts
34 reviews
26 helpful votes
1. Re: Chisasibi roads
Save

I had to google that, but I did find this link. 18 hours north of Montreal straight driving.

http://www.jamesbayroad.com/jbr/

It says it is all paved, though bumpy in areas.

This bit on the "driving the James Bay road" link on the page is definitely worth paying attention to. http://www.jamesbayroad.com/jbr/jbrdriving.html

"There is only one gas station for the entire length of 620km, at Km 381. There are no other facilities whatsoever for the entire length of the road. You need to check in at Km 6. Radisson has most services, but remember that it is still a small town, of only about 300 people."

Montreal, Canada
2 posts
2. Re: Chisasibi roads
Save

thank you

Williamstown, MA
1 post
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Chisasibi roads
Save

I ran into another motorcyclist, travelling on an older 1200 Goldwing, who told me he'd turned around after going only about 100 miles on the road. The constant pounding from bumps is distressing. On my own Yamaha Venture, a heavy motorcycle, 4 critical bolts were dislodged from the rear seat/travel trunk supports by the time I got to within 50 miles of the turnoff for Chisasibi.

Although the road is in generally good condition, with well-marked corners and especially well-marked sharp corners, the road has periodic and abrupt bumps that appear to be either drainage channels or frost heaves or expansion joints - I never stopped to examine them. They are nerve-wracking and potentially damaging. I'd check fasteners a couple of times.

I limped my motorcycle into Radisson and got it repaired there at an excellent repair shop/hardware store. The road to Radisson is good, as is the road in to Chisasibi once you leave Route de Baie James.

Overall, the road is well paved and pretty well maintained. Others will mention the lack of services. Gas up when you can.

Georgetown, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
314 reviews
130 helpful votes
4. Re: Chisasibi roads
Save

You will have no problems driving to Chisasibi in a regular car. The road is paved all the way. There are more bumps on the 1st 200km of the James Bay Road than the last 400km, but are easy to spot and are well marked (with 1 or 3 diamonds, or a bump sign). They are fixing those parts of the road. Pay attention and keep to the speed limit and slow down when you get to a bump and you will have no problem.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
6,362 posts
70 reviews
36 helpful votes
5. Re: Chisasibi roads
Save

@MapleLeaf: this post is dated 2014!

Reply to: Chisasibi roads
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Chisasibi
Recent Conversations
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Canada. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.