We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving at night to Cabo Pulmo

nyccnms
9 posts
1 review
Save Topic
driving at night to Cabo Pulmo

We are arriving in Cabo San Lucas in the late afternoon, so after clearing customs, picking up the rental car, and buying some groceries for the rental house, we wouldn't be on the road to Cabo Pulmo until about 7 pm in early April. My adult kids tell me it's fine to drive after dark (there will be a full moon - hope no clouds!) but it is really safe? Thanks - NYC Grandma

Lodi, California
Destination Expert
for Cabo San Lucas
Level Contributor
24,830 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving at night to Cabo Pulmo

You will need to be very watchful for cattle (and pigs) on the highway. They settle there for the warmth, and frequently cause accidents.

Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
61,766 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving at night to Cabo Pulmo

If you're flying into SJD (the airport north of San Jose del Cabo), you'll be closer to Cabo Pulmo. If you're flying into the tiny airport in Cabo, you'll have more miles to travel.

There are cows on the road even in the daytime, but they're easier to see then. So many are black... at night, good luck!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving at night to Cabo Pulmo

No, no, no, no! The last 7 miles to Cabo Pulmo is a very rough 'off road' kind of experience. It's a windy dirt road, that in places is like a roller coaster, with large boulders and deep holes. In the daytime, we had a hard time navigating the road, in places having to drive on the wrong side just to avoid the rocks and holes. It would be the equivalent of a logging road in the wilderness. I don't know how you would see that at night. It took us at least 45 minutes to just travel that piece of the road. The highway up until that point is totally fine.....except for the livestock as others have noted.

Edited: 15 December 2012, 00:55
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving at night to Cabo Pulmo

So here's a video you will find useful. It's a guy driving from Cabo to Cabo Pulmo. He basically put a webcam on his car and drove the whole way. If you fast forward to around 1:48:40 this is where the dirt road starts.

At least it gives you an idea what it's like. The part we had the most difficulty with was around 2:02:00 and further, where the road starts to make it's decline.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRIEprXSR-8

Mind you we did drive it in November after the huge rains of September so maybe it was worse than usual.

Edited: 15 December 2012, 01:10
Washington State
Destination Expert
for Yosemite National Park
Level Contributor
61,766 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving at night to Cabo Pulmo

The Original Poster asked in Oct 2011 about a trip in April 2012. Hopefully everything went well for her!

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for San Jose del Cabo
Level Contributor
3,854 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving at night to Cabo Pulmo

Silly me! :-)

San Francisco
Level Contributor
35 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving at night to Cabo Pulmo

I know, older post, but still, one alternate view might be useful.

We drove from San Jose Del Cabo to Cabo Pulmo at night, then Out to La Paz for the day and back at night and finally back to San Jose Del Cabo in the day.

An hour and a quarter day time from Cabo Pulmo to SJDC. An hour and a half at night.

Two and a half hours from Cabo Pulmo to La Paz during the day, but only because of traffic. Two hours and ten minutes from La Paz back to Cabo Pulmo at night.

The last 5 miles or so are on a good gravel road. There are some potholes, easily missed, and some BIG toppes(Huge Mexican speed bumps), which you just have to slow down for, but other than that it's not a bad trip. Yes, watch for cattle and livestock. But folks in their rental cars creeping along like snails were more of a road hazard than the livestock. The cows moved faster ; -)

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
42 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving at night to Cabo Pulmo

DON'T DO IT! You have just arrived in a foreign county. there is desert for miles and miles. The signage is in Spanish and unreliable. There are cows and other livestock on the road (if you hit them they will win). The last part of the road to Cabo Pulmo is not paved. In broad daylight in a 4X4 my husband and I got stuck in the sand on the road to Cabo Pulmo. It took us over an hour to get out and we almost got divorced over it.

Stay in a hotel near the airport the first night and head out to Cabo Pulmo the next day.

9. Re: driving at night to Cabo Pulmo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2015, 15:15