We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about "Gran Caribe Cayo Largo"

Toronto
Level Contributor
178 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Question about "Gran Caribe Cayo Largo"

This may be a stupid question and I don't want to offend anyone but does anyone know WHY the "Gran Caribe Cayo Largo" is split basically into 2 sections? One section for Canadians (villa Coral and Villa Soledad) and One sections for Europeans (Lindamar and Isla del Sur), I have been to Cuba quite a few times but have never visited a resort split up like this (and I have been to everything from 2-4 star properties basically all around the Island of Cuba. I have had the pleasure of meeting many wonderful people from different countries and we were ALL allowed to use everything the resort offered to its guests equally. It kind of smacks of segregation in my opinion (You check in usually at Isla Del Sur apparently) and then are whisked away to your corner of the resort never to be seen again frequenting said LOBBY BAR, RANCHON or ISLA DEL SUR POOL for the rest of your vacation until time for departure home. Why would ALL GUESTS as a whole not get the run of the whole "GRAN CARIBE CAYO LARGO' property ???

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,179 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about "Gran Caribe Cayo Largo"

This resort was not offered to Canadians until quite recently. (yes, in the early days it was, but for some time you could not book it from Canada)

I believe LIndamar and Isla del Sur were being booked almost exclusively by Italian tour companies, but I could be wrong. Currently I believe Isla del Sur is closed for renovations. When I stayed at Villa Coral, it was possible to use the bars at Isla del Sur and the Ranchon at Lindamar for lunch, but again, this may have changed. You would have to talk to management, but I think it probably has a lot to do with tour operators that may have exclusivity. (another example of this......pretty much all Canadians at Cameleon Villas Jibacoa)

Toronto
Level Contributor
178 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about "Gran Caribe Cayo Largo"

Yes eeeefarm I did email the management today just to try and clear up the confusion, it seems that some services where offered to "Villa Coral" guests at certain times but it seems that at any given time they change their policies as to what is included and what may be included one year may not be included for the following year so if you enjoyed whatever "extra" services you got this year and decide to re-book because of it you may be disappointed. I would have no problem spending an extra amount payable to the resort for lunch at the ranchon at the Lindemar for a week or even several days out of the week and I asked the management that question as well. The silly thing is for example if you lived in Toronto and had a friend that lived in Italy and you wanted to re-connect at this resort the way they have things set up at this resort now you would not be staying in the same section, you would not be at the same pool, you would not use the same bars and you couldn't even have meals together. I had heard that the resort was once exclusively Italian but if you open it up to other countries open it all up not just part of it. I am not upset by being in the Villa Coral or the Villa Soledad but I do beleive that if we are all under one banner so to speak "Gran Caribe Cayo Largo" we should have access to ALL services that banner provides.

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,179 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about "Gran Caribe Cayo Largo"

Once upon a time, in the early days of Cayo Largo, there was visiting back and forth between all the resorts. There is a walkway from Sol Pelicano to Lindamar. Some of the folks who are long time Cayo Largo aficionados can probably elaborate, but that was back before Hurricane Michelle. More info here:

http://www.cayolargo.net/historia.html

Villa Coral also has a website:

cayolargodelsur.cu/www-isladelsur-cu/index.h…

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
7,265 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about "Gran Caribe Cayo Largo"

We'd love to book the Marinara some time too. It may be exclusive to Italians too. Can't book it from Canada.

Ontario
Level Contributor
8,179 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about "Gran Caribe Cayo Largo"

While it's true no tour operators appear to offer hotel Marinara, I believe you could book it independently from Canada. From the reviews, it appears you can book it from NYC! ;-)

Ooops, I see on the site it is listed as being exclusive to an Italian operator. Too bad! I believe it has been offered to Scuba Divers in the past.....

Edited: 09 March 2012, 13:11
Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
7,265 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about "Gran Caribe Cayo Largo"

The Marinara put in more of the double cabins this year.

There's a lot of potential in those GC Cayo Largo properties.

I see LH Productions is behind the website, too.

Muskoka Lakes...
Level Contributor
408 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about "Gran Caribe Cayo Largo"

Hey Vicki, just thought I'd add...

"........I would have no problem spending an extra amount payable to the resort for lunch at the ranchon at the Lindemar for a week or even several days out of the week......."

eeeefarm and others may/may not, disagree with me, but I was slightly disappointed with the a la carte at Lindamar and found the buffet as good. So...I don't know if I would want to pay extra for it....just my 2 centavos =)

Also, I personally think that the VC and Isla del Sur are the better choices to stay as they both have more amenities than Villa Soladad and Lindamar. Athough the little cabins at Soladad and Lindamar are quaint, I don't know if I would want to walk from them to the others' amenities. I'm also not a fan of the "motel" feel of the Isla del Sur, but that's my opinion. =)

Toronto
Level Contributor
178 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about "Gran Caribe Cayo Largo"

Thanks for the comments everyone, I really appreciate the input and it gives me food for thought!!!

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
142 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about "Gran Caribe Cayo Largo"

Hola All,

In talking to my long time buddy Pire the marina PR manager.. it appears you can book the cabins if you are doing the fly fishing for bonefish. Availon (sp) the Italian fly fishing company owns the small boats and offer ideal bonefishing and have most if not all the cabins for their clients. I could be wrong as we did consume mucho cervezas on that greet and meet with Pire? We have been offered the cabins before with a private chef, use of the pool and ranchon area, etc.

10. Re: Question about "Gran Caribe Cayo Largo"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 June 2013, 06:16