We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Cayo Largo from Western Canada.....Is it hard????

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
78 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Cayo Largo from Western Canada.....Is it hard????

Ok, ever since I saw pictures of Playa Sirena and Playa Paraiso I have wanted to go the Cayo Largo in the worst way. That being said, I'm not sure about the best way to book. We'd be flying out of Edmonton and I'm not sure which hub we would have to fly to in order to get a direct flight to Cayo Largo. Is there a place that flies direct? Just wondering if anyone has any info/advice in this area. Thanks in advance.

Edited: 29 April 2013, 22:59
S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,463 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Cayo Largo from Western Canada.....Is it hard????

Air canada Vacations will get you there.

An example:

Jan 4th 2014 for aprox. 1600 per person.

Check their website.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
3,848 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Cayo Largo from Western Canada.....Is it hard????

We face a similar problem on the East Coast and I to have wanted to go to Cayo Largo for several years. I believe the only direct flights are from Toronto and Montreal but ACV provides a connector from Halifax in their package. Trouble is that package only lasts to April 1rst, and we travel in April or early May. You may find that as well from Edmonton. This year we decided to bite the bullet and go. So we booked our package from Montreal and used some air miles to get us from Halifax to Montreal.

Correctme if I am wrong about the direct flights deebob

S
Destination Expert
for Cayo Guillermo
Level Contributor
7,463 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting to Cayo Largo from Western Canada.....Is it hard????

No,that seems right, cubabound.

The add on connector fee is a lot less than if one was to do a flight only from ,say Halifax or Edmonton.

I remember they used to charge a 48 dollar connector fee from the west. Bumped up to $98.(minimal)

Sunwing is doing more directs around Cuba. rom different parts of Canada.

Not sure if AC is feeling any of that pressure, or cares. I'm glad they are there as an option.

Salud!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,321 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting to Cayo Largo from Western Canada.....Is it hard????

Thats correct deebob, howevwer to the OP that particular situation is a direct, NOT non stop. It gioes from Edm to Toronto to Montreal then to Cayo Largo. If I ca suggest waiting till the new schedules come out in mid summer and also possibly taking a look at flying out of Calgary. I've sent you a PM.

Cheers

Mont Tremblant...
Destination Expert
for Cayo Largo
Level Contributor
6,249 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting to Cayo Largo from Western Canada.....Is it hard????

Indeed Air Canada Vacations usually flies to CL from December through March (it used to offer it year-round, but no longer...). Tours Mont-Royal usually offers CL year-round out of Montreal, as does Caribesol (the Quebec version of Hola Sun). Caribesol offers 12-day packages, if that's something you'd be interested in (flying with Cubana).

If you're not choosing ACV, then you'll have to make your way to Montreal and book a package to CL separately. This is one of my favorite sites to search for trips, as you can see the flight info (carrier and schedule) on the results page: http://www.voyagesbergeron.com/Default.aspx

Note that the prices you'll see for packages out of Montreal include all taxes and fees.

Don't hesitate if you have any questions!

Edited: 30 April 2013, 09:57
Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
3,848 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting to Cayo Largo from Western Canada.....Is it hard????

That leads me to another question bergerman. Its only been in the last while that i have given any thought to the distinction between direct and non stop flights. This may seem trivial but i would like to understand it fully; if i were to get on a direct, but not a non stop flight, say in Halifax, is it likely to be the same plane that lands at my final destination. Or does the distinction go that far? Put another way, is the ACV charter that leaves Halifax going to be the same plane that lands in Cayo Largo.

Nova Scotia, Canada
Level Contributor
14,320 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting to Cayo Largo from Western Canada.....Is it hard????

Anybody that departs Halifax to Cayo Largo via Air Canada Vacations have two separate flights – they are not classed as non-stop nor direct. The Halifax to Montreal (or Toronto) flight would be on Air Canada and is called a “connector flight”, and will have a different plane and flight number than the ACV flight from Montreal (or Toronto) to Cayo Largo.

At check-in at the Halifax airport, the AC agent can check your baggage all the way to Cayo Largo, so you don’t need to worry about baggage transfer. The agent can also issue your boarding pass for the Montreal to Cayo Largo flight.

ACV is currently showing a promotion of free connector flights, but I haven’t checked out from where or the terms & conditions.

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
7,754 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting to Cayo Largo from Western Canada.....Is it hard????

This year the ACV - Cayo Largo flight schedule was changed to Thursdays and for the first time in 4 years we didn't have to overnight in Montreal, coming or going from Fredericton, NB.

Fingers crossed for the 2013-2014 catalog.

Quesnel,Canada
Level Contributor
223 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting to Cayo Largo from Western Canada.....Is it hard????

how do you get prices for 2014 looking for first 2 weeks in dec and cant find anything

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
11,321 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting to Cayo Largo from Western Canada.....Is it hard????

deb1958

Most of the tour operators haven't released there 2013-2014 pricing yet. Normally in mid July the new books come out.

Cheers