We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is the best option to go from Diani to Tanzani? alam ?

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
3 posts
96 reviews
Save Topic
Which is the best option to go from Diani to Tanzani? alam ?

Hi! We’re in Diani and in 3 days we’re going to Tanzania. We read negative reviews about going by bus from Diani (Mombasa) to Dar es Salaam? Someone had this experience! How it was? Any bus company to recommend? The other option, is take a flight from Mombasa to Zanzibar, avoiding the bus ride and avoiding the stop in Dar es Saalam! But the cheapeast airline is Fly 540. Anyone knows about it?

Mentioned in this post
Diani Beach
Diani Beach
Ukunda, Kenya
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Archipelago, Tanzania
3 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is the best option to go from Diani to Tanzani? alam ?

I've made this trip by bus and air. If you want to leave from Diani without going to Mombasa first, then I suggest Simba bus because they have an office in Ukunda and the bus makes a scheduled stop in Ukunda every morning (around 8 am unless there is a ferry delay). It isn't the most luxurious bus and the trip to Dar will take longer than they tell you, about 10-11 hours.

Fly540 seems to be the cheapest flight and of course you leave from Moi Airport in Mombasa. It's only a 45 minute flight.

In either case, be sure to have your yellow fever card.

Mentioned in this post
Diani Beach
Diani Beach
Ukunda, Kenya
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Ukunda
Ukunda
Coast Province, Kenya
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
692 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is the best option to go from Diani to Tanzani? alam ?

Other options to consider:

If you still considering journey by land,

I would really get on the tahmeed or modern coast departing from Mombasa town,

because some buses dont do pick up after crossing the ferry,

the next stop from departure in mombasa is ferry crossing, then border crossing,

Then stop at city of tanga near the bus station, then somewhere on highway in tz at bus weighing bridge,

Then the bus stops near their offices on Lumumba street in dar es salaam,

I would get off here and stay overnight at hotel, search on airbnb or booking.com for reasonable hotel on Lumumba street, maybe Lumumba garden,

Early 530am-6am take taxi to ferry port, its few kms about tsh 20k or maybe less,

If you decide to finish the bus journey at ubungo bus station in dar, then expect 2 hours easily in heavy traffic jams,

If you got extra days, and wish to break your journey on the way between Mombasa and dar,

Then Mombasa to tanga n stay one night, its a city with reasonable hotels on airbnb, some near bus station n some near the beach such as inn by the sea, in town near post office is a new supermarket, taxi tsh 6k to 20k,

Or maybe mombasa to tanga, then another bus before 12pm, from tanga to lushoto, they have reasonable, but very basic, hotels in lushoto near the bus station, only some hotels have sitting toilets, not sure if all are electric lights, lushoto is cool sometimes at night drops to 10 degree centigrade, lushoto has wonderful views, and then lushoto to dar, then ferry to zanzibar,

Should go for ferry that takes 2 hours, its easy journey, otherwise fast ferry bumbs a bit too much made me sick,

Buses do take longer but always adds some fun and some good memories on the way,

Mentioned in this post
Mombasa
Mombasa
Coast Province, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is the best option to go from Diani to Tanzani? alam ?

Bina,

Simba is the only bus doing pickups in Ukunda these days, that's why I mentioned them. I've done the trip myself.

There's no need to break the trip in Tanga unless you particularly want to explore the town. The bus arrives in Dar around sunset, sometimes later, but there are quite a few reasonable guest houses next to Ubungo bus station. The OP will need to overnight there (no night ferries go to Zanzibar) and I recommend catching the Flying Horse ferry at noon the next day. It costs only 20 USD compared with 35 USD for Azam.

Dar now has an efficient bus mass transit system that will get you from Ubungo to the ferry docks in around 30 minutes.

Mentioned in this post
Ukunda
Ukunda
Coast Province, Kenya
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Island
Zanzibar Archipelago, Tanzania
Reply to: Which is the best option to go from Diani to Tanzani? alam ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Diani Beach