We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Southern Palms, prices, info needed!

Scotland
5 posts
Southern Palms, prices, info needed!

Hi,

We are off on honeymoon to Southern Palms in July. I was wondering if anyone could tell us what the best bars and places to eat nearby are that don't over price alcohol and food etc.

Also, we are all inclusive for 2 weeks, doing a 3 day safari and quite happy with local drinks etc all the time, so how much spending money would be recommended? We will be doing a few things but will have a few lazy days of staying around the beach and hotel.

I am finding it hard to find a map or somewhere that gives information about where everything is and how far etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction for this, so we have a rough idea of the surrounding area before we go?

How far from Southern Palms is Tamarind and Jumba Ruins Monsoons?

Are there any other things that we should consider taking that we might have wished we had thought of that Southern Palms doesn't provide? Mosquito nets etc?

Thanks so much,

Dave

Shanzu, Kenya
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
61 reviews
1. Re: Southern Palms, prices, info needed!

I'll leave alot of the answers to the South Coast and Southern Palms experts.

As far as Tamarind goes it is just on the North Coast overlooking the Harbour and would be about 90 + mins away on a good Ferry day.

Monsoon is in Mtwapa on the North Coast and would be 2 hrs away on a good Ferry day.

Both are great Restaurants but with the time involved getting there, not to mention the expense, I would stick to South Coast Restaurants such as Ali Barbours.

2. Re: Southern Palms, prices, info needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 07 March 2011, 11:05
Edited: 07 March 2011, 11:05
edinburgh
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
272 reviews
3. Re: Southern Palms, prices, info needed!

Boma I believe Doffcocker has already told you about the rules of posting.

Again have you been to Southern Palms?

To the OP Westwoodboy has answered some of your questions.

Mosquito nets are provided at Southern Palms and there are two sets of sliding doors one with netting and netting in the bathroom to keep the mossies out!!

If you are on honeymoon you may be upgraded to an ocean front room but if not it is worth upgrading for the wonderful view of the powder white sands, palms, hearing the tide at morning and night and seeing the reef when the tide isout.

As you are A/L you will not need money for drinks (local) all board except the Lebaneese restaurant and ice cream.

The safe is payable separately when you arrive and is a must.

You will also have to pay for the mini bar separately.

If on safari you will need small change KHS for tipping your room steward, porters and for drinks and tips for the waiters.

Also a tip of 1000KHS per day for your safari driver which you should pay at the end of the safari.

Also take a visa card or debit card for incidentals in the camp/lodge shop if you see anything you wish to buy.

You will possibly wish to tip any waiters that give you good service in the hotel and your room steward for taking care of your room at the end of your stay.

If you wish to do a dhow trip the operator you book with will accept KHS or visa/debit card.

Cash can be obtained at the Barclays Bank not far from the hotel from the ATM if you wish to bring back curios etc.

You will have to inform your bank before you go.

If you have a lot of electric items that need charged then a four way adaptor could be taken although at Southern Palms there are plenty plugs in the room.

There is a hairdryer, flatscreen TV, safe and tea and coffee making facilities and the mini bar.

Towels are provided for the sun beds on a card system.

The restaurants we know and have we been out many times to the Diani Coast are as quoted before Ali Barbours Cave Restaurant - lovely for an evening meal under the stars.

Reception will phone them to pick you up at a certain time and take you back.

Forty Thieves on the beach beside Ali Barbours - to have a snack lunch or drink and watch the world go by.

Sunday they do a good roast lunch with a jazz band.

Ngiri's Bar and restaurant caters for all international cuisines - crab cakes good.

Annielos Italian restaurant - good pizzas and Italian ice cream. Run by an Italian.

Blue Marlin Seafood Beach Club

International cuisine and seafood

Cost between USD 5 and 15 dollars

Bull Steak House Steak available and international cuisine

African Pot bar/restaurant opposite Western Union at Ukunda corner.

African dishes only but fresh and drinks cheap as well.

Frequenbted by a lot of locals and ex pats.

Nomad's Open Air Restaurant

Sea cuisine - very relaxing right on the sands of Diani Beach - very romantic for dinners with the Indian Ocean water sounds

Galaxy Chineese Restaurant

Chineese food and have to make a reservation.

Seafood also an optiom

Ushogo Bar - seafood right out of the Indian Ocean and surrounded by restaurants that serve cuisine from five continents and great pizzeria nearby.

6 menus to choose from.

Fisherman's cove set right at the Indian Ocean - serves seafood and is part of the Leisure Lodge Chain.

Obviously as you are on A/l you may just wish to try two of the above if wishing to have a night out from the hotel but I think you will opt to stay at the hotel with four restaurants to choose from.

If you havenot booked safari then I would suggest you book with a local tour operator as the money goes to that person in Kenya and not to the big tour operators.

We have used Ferdiand Mwango of Beach Air Tours and Safaris at the Barclays Centre since 1996 - a very fair and reputable person who has a lot of contracts in the Mara and Tsavo East and West.

Please don't hesitate to PM if you need any more information re. Southern Palms and ifyou look at my reviews it will give you a good idea of where you are going.

I have never heard of Flamboyant Restaurant in Diani but may be wrong.

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
550 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Southern Palms, prices, info needed!

Flamboyant is the boutique hotel owned by the same folk who own Ali Barbours and Forty Theives. So perhaps by Flamboyant Restaurant, in fact someone means Ali Barbours, although I suspect the Hotel also has a restaurant it may not be open to the public.

5. Re: Southern Palms, prices, info needed!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 03:17