We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelers Cheques at the Lady Hamilton

Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Travelers Cheques at the Lady Hamilton

Guys,

Does anyone know if they will cash travelers checks that the Lady Hamilton? I have emailed them a couple of days ago with no response as of yet.

Thanks.

United States
Level Contributor
13,739 posts
134 reviews
1. Re: Travelers Cheques at the Lady Hamilton

The telephone number for the hotel is 1-876-620-0000

Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
2. Re: Travelers Cheques at the Lady Hamilton

Thank you I have called the resort and they will cash travelers cheques but no matter what currency the cheque is in they will cash it into Jamaican currency.

Anyone know if it would be better to have US dollars?

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,531 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Travelers Cheques at the Lady Hamilton

It depends. Are you from the U.S.?

United States
Level Contributor
13,739 posts
134 reviews
4. Re: Travelers Cheques at the Lady Hamilton

"Anyone know if it would be better to have US dollars?"

That depends. First, the Grand Palladium is an all inclusive resort. Will you be spending any money while in Jamaica? While I stay at another all inclusive resort in Jamaica I normally spend $US20 per person or less during a 7 night stay on the island. You may spend more or less than I do. What are you planning on spending?

Second, where are your planning on spending your money while in Jamaica? Will these places price their goods and services in US dollars or Jamaican dollars?

"no matter what currency the cheque is in they will cash it into Jamaican currency"

They will do so at an exchange rate that they set. It will probably be in the hotels favor. If you stay at the Grand Palladium you will be miles from anywhere else that will change money.

Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Travelers Cheques at the Lady Hamilton

I plan on tipped and maybe buying a few things here and there but generally when we go away which has been mexico and dominican we take $500 US and come home with about $150. We tip quite a bit due to both my wife and I working in the service industry from when we were 16 till about 26.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
13,414 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Travelers Cheques at the Lady Hamilton

I would plan to arrive into Jamaica with some US$20-40 in smaller denominations for tipping at the airport and perhaps some food/drink at the small bar outside the transportation hall. Small mean a lot of US$1s and US$5s and a few US$10s.

If you decide to use the Palladium for some excursions, I expect they will accept credit cards as payment as well as cash and maybe travelers cheques.

Purchasing items in the on-site sundry store is probably best done in US$ which is likely what the goods will be marked in.

If you decide to take local trips with a taxi, the drivers will be delighted to accept US$ instead of JA$.

As to exchange rates, there is of course the "official exchange rate" that is used for government to government dealings. Retail shops are not obligated to use the official exchange rate. Today, US$1 equals about JA$112. For simplicity, a shop may use US$1 equal JA$100 for simplicity, avoiding giving JA as change and a little more profit for the shop. Most items for sale in a tourist venues will be marked in US$.

Ontario Can.
Level Contributor
483 posts
7. Re: Travelers Cheques at the Lady Hamilton

I used JA$ at the Palladium for tips. I converted from CA$ at the front desk. Very convenient.

Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Travelers Cheques at the Lady Hamilton

Maybe it is my paranoia it is only a question because I generally take cash but I just know quite a few people who have had money taken right from their in room safe in Jamaica.

9. Re: Travelers Cheques at the Lady Hamilton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2015, 00:16