We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids begginers skiing in Flachau

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Kids begginers skiing in Flachau

Hello

We are flying to Salzburg in February on a week ski vacation 2 adults and 3 kids 8yrs, 9yrs and 12yrs that will be introduced to ski for the first time. One adult that has not skied for over 20 yrs:) and one non skier.

We have never been to Austria and just from reading about ski resorts within reach from Salzburg I came across Flachau, Wagrain and Flachauwinkl. Are they any good for children beginners?

Or would you recommend different ones? Also we will be arriving Sunday morning and with transfer probably looking at getting into resort/accommodation lunch time. Would that give us sufficient time to find local ski school and rent needed equipment for them to be able to join lessons from Monday?

I don't know if they will enjoy skiing so I those places any good for other activities? I read there are some fun snow parks but not sure if you need to have lift pass to be able to access them or we can get the them if hire a car from airport.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you

6 replies to this topic
Lichfield, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: Kids begginers skiing in Flachau

Flachua is a good resort. The other towns are linked by a short bus ride, but Flachua has quite a bit to offer. Wagrain is also nice to visit just down the valley. The bus will be free with your lift pass. Getting there mid day will give you plenty of time to arrange lessons and settle into your hotel. Get transfers, no need for car hire. Ask at your ski school if you need a ski pass all week, some beginner areas are at the bottom of the mountain and you might not need it for the first couple of days. There is a fantastic thermal spa just five minutes out of Flachua, ask your hotel or search it online.

Lichfield, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
42 reviews
2. Re: Kids begginers skiing in Flachau

With regard to other resorts, there are hundreds. Lots of great ones, rauris, saalbach, lofer are good for beginners. But I have been to Flachua three times and I like it. Other posters will have their preferences. Check the Flachua tourist site in English. Your hotel will also give lots of help. It may have been cheaper through a tour operator? 2 main ways up the Flachua mountain, 1 in the town and one just further out. But you instructors will sort that with you.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
3. Re: Kids begginers skiing in Flachau

Hello and thank you for reply. I did check mentioned places and they seem further away from Salzburg, but thank you for recommendation.

Would you be able to tell me when you rent your ski do you give them back at same place for storage overnight? I'm trying to work out logistic with transport from accommodation to lift and collection of equipment and transport on a bus with kids. I may need someone to dummy proof it for me :)

Also in Flachau is it easy to shop/dine if we go self catering?

Thank you for your response in advance

Lichfield, United...
Level Contributor
129 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: Kids begginers skiing in Flachau

Self catering is no problem. Quite a lot of places to eat, a great place is Schusterhaeusl (on the Main Street - internet it) a steak / burger place - book ahead. There is a number of other walk in or take out places, pizza for example. One big supermarket on edge of town and othe Smaller ones in Flachua. The village is based on a main road, but lots of bars and places to eat. The town is growing very quick, but lifts very efficient. With regard to equipment, I have always taken my skis with me to the hotel. Take the ski bus? But you can ask at your rental shop. There may be lockers also, but my advice is to take your skis, jump on the bus by your accommodation. If you there say before, check what's best or email the accommodation.

Lancaster, United...
Level Contributor
1,008 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: Kids begginers skiing in Flachau

When in Febuary are you going? If it's during the main holidays/Fasching, it may be worth booking ski hire and lessons in advance as if various holidays combine, things can get booked up quickly.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
20 posts
6. Re: Kids begginers skiing in Flachau

Thanks for replies. I better hurry up booking accommodation and see where is the nearest ski school and wrap it all up.

We are going 18 - 26 February.

Reply to: Kids begginers skiing in Flachau
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Flachau
More Flachau Topics