We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Munich to Kossen

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Munich to Kossen

What is the most economical and efficient way to get from Munich airport to Kossen in Austria. I am travelling on my own. I wish to travel from Munich on a Wednesday and return on a Sunday. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

3 replies to this topic
Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
4,867 posts
1 review
1. Re: Munich to Kossen

I sggest you tke the train to Prien .From in front of the Prien station take the bus to Reit im Winkl. Tkes a bout 45 min. There pick up an Austrian bus to Koessen. .For the Munich - Reit im Winkl section, go to www.bahn.de for schedules, incl. the bus.

Specifically, from the airport take the S-Bahn suburban train to the Munich Ostbahnhof (East station), that's where all the trains heading east (i.e. Prien, Salzburg, etc.) leave. For the section Munich Airport - Reit you can use the Bavarian Ticket, EU22 for one person.

To use this ticket, you must limit yoursaelf to local trains. Regio trains and the bus. These local trains take about 20 minuteslongedr to Priuen than the fast IC and EC trains, which are much more expensive. You can get all the details on the Bavarian ticket in "search" in the Germany Forum.

When I lived near Reit, there used to go a bus from Prien direct to Koessen, via Marquarstein, but I am fairly sure it no longer runs. But just to be sure, also check Munich - airport to Koessen.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
15,113 posts
89 reviews
2. Re: Munich to Kossen

EXACT dates and EXACT times of arrival and departure.

The bus from Prien to Reit im WInkl takes ~ 50min - 1hr

www.rvo-bus.de/file/3191908/data/9505.pdf

Although the distance is short from Reit im WInkl to Kössen the Postbus 4000 line from Reit im WInkl to Kössen does not run very often

http://efa.vvt.at/vvtadr/TTB/D_00005389.pdf

Other easier way may be over Kufstein.

Firstly take the S8 from Munich Airport to Munich Ost (Ostbahnhof).

From there you can pick up direct Intercity EC trains to Kufstein or combination of 2 Regional services over ROsenheim to Kufstein

www.bahn.de or www.oebb.at

From Kufstein then take the 4030 Bus to Kössen.

The bus takes 45-50mins from Kufstein to Kössen. Costs €6

http://efa.vvt.at/vvtadr/TTB/D_000064b3.pdf

You can use Austrian rail www.oebb.at to show the overall solution from Munich Airport (Flughafen München) to Kössen

A ticket from Munich Airport to Kufstein utilising the direct intercity bought on the day would cost €28.50

If you use the Regional services to Kufstein then a standard single is €22 (same as the Bayern Ticket).

There isn't much difference in time between the Intercity and Regional connections. From the Airport it takes 1h50 to Kufstein (with 1 S-Bahn and 1 Intercity) or 2hrs (1 S-Bahn and 2 Regionals)

BAYERN TICKET

the Bayern Ticket. Costs €22 for 1 person then €4 for each additional person up to a total of 5 people. Gives you UNLIMITED use of ALL Regional public transport in Bavaria. Includes ALL Regional trains, ALL Regional buses and ALL city transport in Munich, Augsburg and Nürnberg.

Only the fast ICE, IC, EC and RJ Railjet trains are excluded

Valid from 9am weekdays (midnight weekends) until 3am the following morning

Full T&Cs and click on Bayern

bahn.de/i/…laender-ticket.shtml

AUSTRIAN TRAVEL INFO

You can use www.oebb.at to show train/bus connections/solutions from Munich Airport to Kössen

www.vvt.at for public transport in Tirol

Kilkenny, Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Munich to Kossen

Thank you so much, this has been very helpful. I arrive in Munich airport at 11.30am Wednesday the 27th of February. I plan to return from Kossen on Sunday the 3rd of March at approximately 16.00hrs...

Reply to: Munich to Kossen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kossen
Recent Conversations