We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few questions about Maalaea

Minnesota
Level Contributor
262 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
A few questions about Maalaea

Thanks TA for all your help already.....I am thoroughly enjoying the planning of our Maui trip near my wood fire in Minnesota right now......

We are staying at the Maalaea Surf Resort in North Kihei from April 1 to April 10.....

How bad will the wind be at that time of year? My wife and I stayed in Kailua on Oahu a few years back and she was a bit disappointed that a few of our days were full of cloudy days and wind, wind, wind..... How will it be in Maalaea, I have heard it is windy. We are more than willing to drive to hot, sunny, and calm... We are not naive, we know the wind blows on Maui, but just wondering if there are a few places more protected than others on either the west or south side....

Also, where can we drive to catch the best sunsets in Maui? We will not be driving up to Halaleakala, so that is not an option......How far south do we need to get?? I remember Lahaina was pretty cool at sunset as well..... Recommendations?

Edited: 25 November 2017, 20:13
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Maalaea Surf Resort
Maalaea Surf Resort
77 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maalaea
Maalaea
57 Reviews
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
9 replies to this topic
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
67,732 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few questions about Maalaea

You aren't *in* Maalaea there. I always thought the name was meant to confuzz people, LOL! The wind is likely to be pretty strong most days by 11 AM. The south side gets wind earlier and stronger most of the time than the West. If you go down to the Wailea end it should be calmer.

Sunsets are good from most south side areas, but you don't see the "whole" sunset like you did in Lahaina. It will be partially blocked by Lana'i and/or the West Maui Mountains, depending on where you are. You'd need to get down into the GW/Four Seasons area to have a more unobstructed view, but even that will still be different.

Edited: 25 November 2017, 20:39
Mentioned in this post
Maalaea
Maalaea
57 Reviews
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,753 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few questions about Maalaea

Whether a sunset is blocked all depends on time of year. I do know in March you can see wonderful "full" sunsets (sets over the ocean) from what is called butt wall in Kihei Town, across the street from Fred's. I've seen tons. Sometimes you can see it set between Kahoolawe and Lanai, Lanai and the west Maui mountains and other times Lanai or the west Maui mountains block it. Still spectacular.

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Lanai
Lanai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,536 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few questions about Maalaea

Coach, check out the LunaSolCal website. It depends on what system you are using, if you can get the free app or not. But you can input Kihei, and the date. It will then show you where the sun will set. It's quite fun to use.

www.vvse.com/products/en/lunasolcal.html

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,250 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: A few questions about Maalaea

You will probably be driving south to South Kihei and Wailea for dinner -- and sunsets. We like Gannons (above Wailea) and Five Palms (border of South Kihei and Wailea) for views. You can dine and view sunset on the cheap with take-out from Coconut's in South Kihei; just cross the street to Kam II beach park. (Paia Fish Market is another good choice for this.)

This post reminds me: Will there ever be another restaurant at the Maalaea marina? (Thinking a Fisherman's Wharf kind of thing.)

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
Paia Fish Market
Paia Fish Market
2,143 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maalaea
Maalaea
57 Reviews
Maui, HI
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,536 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few questions about Maalaea

NOTE: there are now two locations for Coconut's in Kihei. So, the original location will be closer for you. But if you find yourselves further down the road, check out the "new" location for an option. It's next door to Cafe O'Lei.

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
67,732 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few questions about Maalaea

Sue, I'm guessing you mean the old Buzz's building? I haven't heard of anything happening. The building sure needs a LOT of work though. Maybe the State is just waiting for it to collapse and pave it :-(.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,250 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: A few questions about Maalaea

Thanks, SW. Yes, I know Buzz's has been sitting empty for a long time. (Not long enough, given the food!) It just seems to me that the marina would be a draw -- as marinas are in other places -- even Oakland. Good, plain food -- wouldn't have to be "Waterfront Revisited". Maybe real estate is too expensive, but you can't earn rent or get taxes from the 'nothing' that's there now. Well, there is 'something' at the Maui Ocean Center, isn't there?

Mentioned in this post
Maui Ocean Center
Maui Ocean Center
4,153 Reviews
Maui, HI
Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
67,732 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few questions about Maalaea

Sue, the State owns the Harbor. So they really don't care :-(.

There are several restaurants at Maalaea. Seascape, Vino, Beach Bums, and Maalaea General Store (for more casual). Plus, the Oceanside that was torched is close to reopening.

Mentioned in this post
Maalaea
Maalaea
57 Reviews
Maui, HI
Michigan
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: A few questions about Maalaea

My family visited Maalaea last year at the end of March/beginning of April. We had sunny skies every day and the breezes were VERY welcome. Temps were 85-90 degrees...definitely beach weather! You are going to have the time of your life. It's so beautiful !!!

Mentioned in this post
Maalaea
Maalaea
57 Reviews
Maui, HI
Reply to: A few questions about Maalaea
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Maalaea
;