We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traffic Patterns on Maui

JSN
san francisco
Level Contributor
362 posts
41 reviews
Traffic Patterns on Maui

Aloha, we are spending 2 weeks in Maalea beginning Wednesday. Chose it mostly for the central location. Last time we visited Maui in the Napili area we went mad with the amount of traffic. What hours is it best not to be travelling around?

24 replies to this topic
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
15,322 posts
47 reviews
1. Re: Traffic Patterns on Maui

From your 2 posts I am trying to understand when you were here/when you are coming. Are you talking Christmas time? If that is the case, yes it is the busiest time on the island so traffic can be crazy. I stay in Kapalua which is further than Napili and never have had it be awful unless there is an accident which will stop everything being limited lanes and roads. SW lives on island and does say when the tourists start watching the whales instead of the roads it does become an issue! I notice the most traffic during normal rush hour but I guess I have never found it awful outside of accidents. Maybe you can give more details as where you plan on going?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
49,073 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Traffic Patterns on Maui

SW ... she's your best bet for specific info.

But I gotta say that it made me laugh ... you live in San Francisco and think Maui's traffic drives you crazy.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Traffic Patterns on Maui

Sounds like you will be here on Wed, for two weeks. If so you will be ok the first week and then the second week will be really crowded. Seems to me about 15 dec and on until the first week of january, and then feb/mar are really busy with tourists.

NORTH CAROLINA
Level Contributor
7,278 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Traffic Patterns on Maui

Gotta admit I was thinking the same thing BL.

After seeing the traffic and people driving in SF on three different trips driving on Maui is a cinch.

5. Re: Traffic Patterns on Maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 08 December 2013, 06:50

JSN
Seattle
Level Contributor
361 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Traffic Patterns on Maui

I haven't looked into it deeply (i.e. I can't provide any evidence other than analogies), but it seems like a lot of planes arrive in the early afternoon. Those people have to go somewhere - figure that half will go to Wailea/Kihei, and the other half are heading towards Kaanapali.

Given the number of times that I've been stuck in stop and go traffic between Ma'alaea and Ka'anapali, I always try to avoid this time period. Is that what you were looking for?

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: Traffic Patterns on Maui

Commute hours are like they are everywhere. #6 hit it though - it does seem like there is a weird rush everyday early afternoon from tourists landing. Although west-side bound traffic seems worse - obviously it is longer and also a one lane road that way.

r r
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
185 reviews
8. Re: Traffic Patterns on Maui

Road construction and reconstruction projects have been the recent delays in West Maui along the Hwy 30.

Listen to KPOA for traffic updates while you enjoy the Hawaiian music. They have the most up to date info because drivers on the road phone them.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
23,108 posts
9. Re: Traffic Patterns on Maui

There is only one way in and out of West Maui, a two-lane road between Maalaea and Lahaina. Then there are a LOT of people in those tall elevator buildings in Kaanapali. Once you get to Napili traffic eases as you go north to Kapalua.

South Maui has both pokey coastal Kihei Road and four-lane Piilani Hwy. above the coast. Wailea was laid out later and better than Kaanapali, with wide boulevards below Piilani.

Avoid commuter 'rush hours' as the worker bees swarm up to West Maui from Kihei and Kahului in the mornings, and back home in the late afternoons.

Socal
Level Contributor
1,265 posts
30 reviews
10. Re: Traffic Patterns on Maui

Is the new bypass helping with any of this in town?

Reply to: Traffic Patterns on Maui
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Maalaea