We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maalaea Bay Winds

West Richland...
3 posts
1 review
Maalaea Bay Winds

We are looking to possibly purchase property in the Maalaea Bay area, but I hear the winds can get quite bad there? Any comments on this matter?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
3,887 posts
1. Re: Maalaea Bay Winds

Yes there is a funnel effect down the valley between the West Maui mountains and the creater hence the name Valley Isle. My wife lived there many years ago and between the wind, cane smoke and red dust she said it was at times unpleasant. I would do some complete research and see if it would be a problem for you

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,315 posts
22 reviews
2. Re: Maalaea Bay Winds

Maalaea has become my favorite place to stay on Maui. I love the views and the convenient location for getting around the island. It does get windy, but I prefer strong breezes to hot, humid non-moving air. Mornings are usually very pleasant, with winds picking up mid-day and calming down again late afternoon or early evening. I used to stay in So. Kihei and experienced plenty of wind there, too. A couple of times it blew lawn chairs into the condo pool.

Hopefully you will rent a place in the area for a few nights before finalizing any purchase. I think of Maalaea as more of an acquired taste...not for everyone.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,315 posts
22 reviews
3. Re: Maalaea Bay Winds

P.S. I have been there during the dreaded cane harvest. There was blowing dust for 2 days but the maintenance folks did a wonderful job of keeping things clean. It is my understanding that they no longer burn those nearby cane fields...they cut the cane then turn the ground over. I've not had any problems yet with vog; I assume those winds blow it right on out of the area. I'll be there next week and will post regarding current conditions.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
14,767 posts
47 reviews
4. Re: Maalaea Bay Winds

There was just a recent trip report about how the smoke from the burning cane affected one person's vacation. Do research and be informed. May not bother you...but it might.

West Richland...
3 posts
1 review
5. Re: Maalaea Bay Winds

Thank you for the comment, and yes please let me know how things went on your future trip to the island.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
52,695 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Maalaea Bay Winds

Generally speaking we get the most vog in the winter months. This is because there are storms out west and they cut off the trade winds. When the trades stop and we get winds from the southeast, then the vog blows over to the neighbor islands. It can also miss Maui depending on how strong those winds are.

This last week or so we've had an out of season low sitting off the west of Kauai and it cut off the trades and the vog has been around!! It's finally moving out and the trades should be back starting tomorrow.

I lived in north Kihei for 5 years. The smoke from the cane burning wasn't much of an issue for me. What was an issue was the bare fields when the trade winds blow. Dust everywhere. The good thing is they only burn a field once every 2 years. The winds and burning wasn't so bad but dusting a vacuuming every day was certainly a chore. I would definitely keep the dust in mind and research this carefully before buying in Maalaea.

r r
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
185 reviews
7. Re: Maalaea Bay Winds

Wind makes me nuts and I would never take another afternoon cruise from Maalaea harbor.

Forget you hair do and hang onto your car doors.

The Maalaea winds would make me nuts but some people like vacations as "storm watchers".

Downey, CA
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
8. Re: Maalaea Bay Winds

We were staying in Maalaea for most of May and the winds really didn't bother us at all. We stayed at the Yacht Marina which I believe is more sheltered than some of the other properties. We were also there when they were burning cane (which affects several parts of Maui, not just Maalaea) and had to sweep up a little ash once or twice, nothing more. Quite honestly, I love the quiet, ocean views and convenient location more than windy days which actually cool down the area.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,315 posts
22 reviews
9. Re: Maalaea Bay Winds

Jerome,

We have been in Maalaea for a week. The temperature has been around 88 every day. For us, the wind is a welcome relief. It doesn't seem to bother the folks who own and/or rent at Kanai a Nalu where we stay.

Everyone out enjoying the pool, ocean, etc. at all hours of the day.

I agree with Jimgloria about the PM cruises from this harbor. DH and I took a sunset cruise a couple of years ago. The captain told us Maalaea was the 2nd windiest harbor in the world. I've never checked to see if he was right, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,847 posts
10. Re: Maalaea Bay Winds

What do you find most appealing about buying at Maalaea? It's too solitary -- and windy! -- for me. (See the wind shields on the lanai there?)

We own in South Kihei and visit in winter. The wind roaring down the valley and out of the bay is often fierce. It's a respiratory hazard when it carries the cane field dust and pesticides with it. (It's not 'just' ash that is a problem.)

Have you 'shopped' on the Maui Realtors website? You have thousands of choices.

Get answers to your questions about Maalaea