We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

top souvenirs from cuba?

glasgow
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
top souvenirs from cuba?

hi all

wondering what you CAN actually buy in Cuba?

and what I can actually bring back to the UK

am still puzzling over people taking lots of cash when they are going all inclusive.

please enlighten me and tell me what your top souvenirs from cuba are??

I am going for a che guevara t-shirt for myself and my bubba and possibly some cuban cigars....

Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
100,397 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: top souvenirs from cuba?

Many people prefer paying cash for everything and if they are going on several excursions they will need to take sufficient cash.

Rum and Cigars are the main purchases in Cuba, though some people purchase trinkets, etc. that you'll find in the daily flea market in Guardalavaca.

You can check your Duty Free Allowances at this link:

hmrc.gov.uk/customs/…1

glasgow
Level Contributor
1,637 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: top souvenirs from cuba?

am not too fussed about duty free allowances

i won't be over the limit

what kind of things can you pick up at the flea markets?

i want some typically cuban stuff for my flat and maybe to put past for christmas presents etc.

Havana, Cuba
Level Contributor
5,355 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: top souvenirs from cuba?

My favorite Cuba souvenir is a libreta. It is an endless source of amusement to have it in my desk drawer and check it when people come around these forums and tell what things are not available in Cuba.

Cigars is a given of course. If your question is what the top souvenirs are it is probably that along with rum. Rum is actually a bigger bargain in Cuba than cigars if you look at some of the expensive aged rums compared to prices overseas.

A Che t-shirt? Oh well....

Port Colborne...
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: top souvenirs from cuba?

you can not call what I buy a souvenir .... I buy Cuba art and not the kind of painted on velvet. It may be a painting or sculpture but it is art. The souvenirs I bring home is the RUM and as many bottles as I think I can get through customs without many problems.

Lodon
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: top souvenirs from cuba?

From what my Sister told me there are also plenty of wood carvings and locally made jewellery. Will be nice NOT having hundreds of useless souvenir shops like most of Europe has.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holguin, Guardalavaca
Level Contributor
14,385 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: top souvenirs from cuba?

At the flea market you can buy CD's, Tee-shirts, hats, very small selection of clothes and crocheted table cloths, hand made jewellery items, paintings, lots of varying wooden crafts that all come apart for easy transportation home so dont look at something and think "shame thats too big" ~ if you see something you like buy it there and then as sellers change daily and you may never see that particular item again. If you see a wooden craft you like but would like a variation to it then just have a word with the sculptors who will be happy to make something for you personally (same goes with the paintings)!

Edited: 16 July 2010, 06:54
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holguin, Guardalavaca
Level Contributor
14,385 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: top souvenirs from cuba?

Jacki ~ you are absolutely right, my sentiments exactly...lol..lol..

No hassling or begging either and they dont drive a hard bargain !!

Edited: 16 July 2010, 06:56
Newton Aycliffe...
Destination Expert
for Cuba, Rafael Freyre, Guardalavaca, Holguin
Level Contributor
100,397 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: top souvenirs from cuba?

The exact opposite of the Dom Rep, thank goodness.

Mississauga
Level Contributor
707 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: top souvenirs from cuba?

one of the reasons I stoped going to the DR B, way to agressive

manitoba
Level Contributor
155 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: top souvenirs from cuba?

We have purchased many canvas paintings in the Guardalavaca area.Ie market. Its funny because when I go back each year the same artist is there and I show him how I have had his work framed. ie pics. He laughs when I tell him how much I have paid to have this done.He says he is in wrong buisness he should be framing. :) Anyway their wood work is second to none. I believe that if you LIKE IT that is what matters. NOt the cost. In my opinion I have a few Van goes in my house :)

Enjoy finding what is appealing to you