We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No Bug bites

ontario
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
No Bug bites

Just got back from Henry Morgan and had a great time there.

I did not spray and did not get bit.My wife got bites all over Her!

Drug companies will like this !!!!!!!

I take vitamin B-12 and talking to other people that did not get bit

either .Most also took B-12 . This is only My opinion , But could save some suffering as the bites are nasty.

Would be interested to know if this works for others ???

ontario
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: No Bug bites

B-12 works to keep the bugs away !!

Halton Hills, Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: No Bug bites

Sand fleas love me. Not only do I get bitten, but I react strongly to the bites. In our group of six at Henry Morgan a few weeks ago five of us got bites, two of us reacted and I reacted the most. I take B12 and have for years. I used DEET. I used the Nature's Veil product they have there. Nothing helps except popping a Claritin daily to control the itching. The person who did not get even one bite sat out on the beach more often than the rest of us. I am the same blood type a another of our group who got bitten, but didn't react. Whatever the attraction is we cannot deduce it. I don't even react to mosquito bites up here in cottage country and minimally to blackfly bites. I don't have other allergies.

Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: No Bug bites

The sand fleas love me too. I was avoiding the beach at sunset for the first 6 days of our trip to Roatan. My friend sat on a chaise at the beach everyday and watched the sun go down....she had not one bite...and was wearing no repellant. I figured the sand flea thing must be blown out of proportion so the last night we were there I joined her and sat on a chaise and enjoyed the sunset on our last evening in Roatan. I wasn't even aware that I was getting bitten. However by the time I got home to Canada the next night I had about 25 red welts on my legs....and these sand fleas bites itched like crazy for 2 weeks. If you are the type to get bitten I would recommend due diligence with the sand fleas and avoid being on the sand at dusk and dawn which is when they bite the most.

ont
Level Contributor
424 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: No Bug bites

You might be on to something with the vitamin B thing

while wandering through the bug repellent section( yhaaa I know I need a life) came across a product called Insect defend patch..... B1 is the active ingredient !!!!!!!! and this was at a store that does NOT specialize in No DEET products !!!!!!! does it work? or is there enough interest to be a market for it ? .... good questions !!!!!!

Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
398 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: No Bug bites

Deet has been tested and proved to work, B vitamin in any controlled tests have not had positive results.

Use those facts as you will

Central Oregon
Level Contributor
99 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: No Bug bites

For the vitamin b12 takers what daily dose did you take? 250mcg, 500mcg, 1000mcg? Thanks

ontario
Level Contributor
56 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: No Bug bites

1200 mcg.

Tilaran, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
564 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: No Bug bites

I probably have mentioned this before. I get bitten for just going out to the backyard for 2 mins. Mosquitoes even prefer my blood rather than my kid's. My last year's physical check up report says my body is quite low in Vitamin B12 and my doctor suggests to take B12 shots once every 4 weeks. Didn't have any bites last summer and then due to laziness I stopped taking the shots in August. In October I went to Costa Rica and was eaten alive.

I've been taking a tablet of 1000mcg a day since beginning of March. I'll be in West Bay during the first week of May so I'll let you know whether it works or not.

Central Oregon
Level Contributor
99 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: No Bug bites

stu1254 & Karin L - thanks for the dosage amounts. Will start taking 1000 mcg today as the tablets I bought are 250 mcg. Our home has a major mosquito problem in the summer & they love me, so willing to try anything. Also making a natural essential oil mosquito repellent too, but bringing along the DEET only as back up. Staying in Sandy Bay April 27-May 4, so will report back how it all worked.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
134 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: No Bug bites

For the B12 takes how long before you left did you start taking B12?