We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM dispensing USD?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
108 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
ATM dispensing USD?

Does the ATM at mini mall dispense funds in USD? The option seems available, but when I selected it, the next prompt to confirm had the amount in lempiras. For example, I wanted $200, but the prompt asked if I'm okay with 200 lempiras WD + 60 lempiras service fee for total of 260 lempiras.

Mi Wuk Village...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM dispensing USD?

I can't say from your description but you don't want to use that ATM. That is a 30% service fee. Obscene. Stand alone ATMs like that are for the gullible. Find a bank with an ATM.

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
904 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM dispensing USD?

I've used several ATM's in Roatan, and although most of them give the lempira/US$ option on a menu, I've yet to see one that dispenses anything other than lempiras.

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
NJ
Level Contributor
378 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM dispensing USD?

The ATM at Eldons in French Harbor dispenses US - but I agree that service fee is ridiculous! I think we paid a flat $4.00 international fee but not service fee.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,717 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM dispensing USD?

I hate to ask a dumb question, but what's wrong with using lempiras, the national currency of the country? They seem to be widely accepted. And if you have any left over, you can stick them in a donation box at the airport or save them for your next visit. And you will have a next visit. When's the last time you heard someone say that they were never going back to Roatan? Oh, yeh, that guy with the yacht.

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
904 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM dispensing USD?

There's nothing wrong with Lempiras, but you have to be aware that when you enter the $200 on the keyboard and you get your 200 lempiras (with whatever fee you pay), that you're going to have to repeat the process (and re-pay the fee) otherwise you're going to be out of cash at the first happy hour that you hit that night......

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM dispensing USD?

I can't see any reason to declare that ATM a bandit, "preying on the gullible." The 60 lempira fee for the ATM use - about $3 - is certainly reasonable... typical of many ATMs around the world... but you'd want to make the most of it. I'd be very surprised if the ATM at the bank does not charge this same nominal fee.

It would indeed be silly to use the ATM for 200 lempiras... which is a little less than $10 American. Just because the machine offers cash in small increments - which is a very poor use of one's cash - doesn't mean a person has to use it that way.

I think the answer to the original question is - nobody (so far) knows of an ATM machine that dispenses dollars rather than lempiras. When asked before, folks seemed to agree that even if it seems to offer that option, it really doesn't have dollars to distribute. The OP was noting that is can be confusing, if not deceptive, because the attempt to get $200 ended up with an "offer" for 200 lemps... a very tired, distracted, or inebriated person could easily get hit up for the fee for not very much cash in lempiras.

If you don't want to go through the hassles of actually going to a bank where I suspect you could get dollars with some sort of extra fee for them using your card to do it - and I can't for the life of me understand why you would - you'd probably use the ATM and select a higher amount. I can't remember the last time I used an ATM there... but I suspect you have choiceswith a top end of 4000 or 5000 or 6000 lempiras... about $200, $250, or $300.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
108 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM dispensing USD?

My confusion was whether the offer of 200 was really 200 lempiras or some kind of typo meant to be 200 dollars. Of course I wouldn't want a mere 200 lempira wd. I've been perfectly happy to use lempiras during my travel through Honduras, but some of the services I'm currently using on Roatan quote their prices in USD and I noticed the exchange rate they use for lempira payment isn't exactly favorable to me. That's why I thought I'd try and see if I can get some dollars from the atm and also save myself the hassle of figuring out how much more lempiras I need as my trip is nearing the end.

Thanks for the info everyone!

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
Roatan, Honduras
Level Contributor
81 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ATM dispensing USD?

The ATM at the mall charges a flat rate of l60 per transaction not 30%. I use that one when I need money in a hurry. You can get l5000 at each time . The ATM at the Mayan P sometimes has US$$ and has a better exchange rate and lower fee. also Coconut tree in WE does have US$$ as does the one of the 2 at the airport. I haven't had problems with any of them in years. When I am finished I always come and look up the transaction online to make sure that it was deducted correctly. Most places here are using 20.4 -1 US dollar.

9. Re: ATM dispensing USD?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 September 2014, 00:18