We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Groceries

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
94 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Groceries

We are looking to book our trip to Roatan tonight or tomorrow, and the place that we would like to stay has kitchens with all the utensils and such... I like to cook quite a bit, so although we will use it much, a few times during the week we are there would be great to have. Where would one buy groceries in West Bay? We will have a vehicle or a moped, so driving a bit isn't too big a deal. Also, what should I expect to pay at the local grocery store for a local beer (6 pack)?

Thank you in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Roatan
Roatan
Bay Islands, Honduras
West Bay Beach
West Bay Beach
2,776 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
LALA Gallery and Garden Cafe
$$ - $$$, Caribbean, Fusion, Healthy
Hangover Hut
$$ - $$$, Grill, American, Bar
JavaVine Cafe & Wine Bar
$$ - $$$, Cafe, Wine Bar
Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,494 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Groceries

For real groceries, I wouldn't shop in West Bay. With a kitchen you can stock up those basics for breakfast and light meals... the beach restaurant scene can get a little old with an emphasis on fried food. I'd rather have some good bananas and yogurt and my own cup of coffee in the morning...

So... on the road to West Bay as you leave Coxen Hole are two largish grocery stores up on the hill on your right. Eldons is right behind the large gas station... Plaza Mar up the hill a little farther and to the left - north of Eldons.

Plaza Mar is my favorite as it is more like an island store - and I think the selection of liquor and drinks is superior. Eldons is air-conditioned and has automatic doors and is much more modern. Eldons has better bakery, meat department, and cheese/dairy section. It also has a lot more food from "home." I like the real feel for shopping in another country you can get at Plaza Mar that is mostly lacking at Eldons.

Be a little careful at both stores. We got great frozen fresh-squeezed orange juice in a plastic jug at Plaza Mar. We found refrigerated fresh-squeezed at Eldons in the produce department and almost bought it - but then realized it was a week past its "sell by" date.

We bought some frozen fish at Plaza Mar... kind of expensive, but we didn't know when the fish truck would be in our neighborhood. Some good tuna - but something like $25 a pound. We got two small tilapia as we like to whip up a quick creamy fish soup. When I checked my bill, I found one had rung up correctly, the other came through as almost 10 pounds of kingfish to the tune of $34. I took my bill back a week later and after they "checked the cameras" (???) they gave me a refund.

So - groceries on the island are expensive... but we just had a nice piece of tuna and about a pound of shrimp on the grill, with flavored rice and a salad and beers... probably cost us $25 and we don't have to leave a tip.

beers... I think right around 28 lemps for 12 oz bottles, 24 I think for cans. That's about $1.40 and $1.20... and six packs and 24 packs are the same price per beer at both stores Last year we got a Mexican beer, Imperial, for much less - but this year it is the same price as locals. People tell me you can do much better by going to the beer depot someplace...

that should get you started!

Mentioned in this post
West Bay Beach
West Bay Beach
2,776 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
3,254 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Groceries

Thanks for your time on that post....great info for people like me who are newbies to W/B forum.

Sudbury, Canada
Level Contributor
6,166 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Groceries

If you are going to use your credit card to pay at the grocery store you will need to show ID.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Groceries

idots is bang on.

If you need something in West Bay on short notice, there is 'Mangiamo Delicatessen'. But they are more expensive and have a limited selection, but some great local stuff. It is in the 'West Bay Mall' just across from 'Celeste's'.

Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
West Bay Beach
West Bay Beach
2,776 Reviews
Roatan, Honduras
UNITED STATES
Level Contributor
3,254 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Groceries

Thanks so much everyone!

Fort St. John...
Level Contributor
773 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Groceries

Eldons in the capital. I believe we paid about $1.00 a beer or close to it. Best prices, lots of selection, but I would suggest getting your fresh fruit and veggies from the outside vendors.

Blue Marlin sells frozen seafood at decent prices.

I bought Tuna from a shore seller with a red boat at $2.50 a pound.

Stay away from the Barracuda.

Edited: 07 March 2014, 12:41
Fort St. John...
Level Contributor
773 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Groceries

I bought a pack of fillet snapper and 2 king craps as Blue Marlin for $12.00.

Edited: 07 March 2014, 12:42
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
94 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Groceries

Two king craps? Maybe I should stay away from this place!!!

Lander, Wyoming...
Level Contributor
7 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Groceries

Apparently those craps were shaped like Blue Marlin? Autocorrect has made life a little more entertaining. Good price for all that seafood. I am assuming it was all bought at Eldon's?

Edited: 08 March 2014, 09:10
The Dalles, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Guatemala, Belize
Level Contributor
13,106 posts
328 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Groceries

Is king craps a thing folks eat on Roatán? I generally try to avoid eating crap in order to live longer but when in Rome, do as the Roman's do, I guess.