We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental in roatan

Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
car rental in roatan

Any suggestions on car rentals in Roatan? Someone suggested a local company owned by a lady named Delzie Rozales but I can't find any contact info.

Thank you!

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,750 posts
91 reviews
1. Re: car rental in roatan

Avis has always treated me well. They are very professional and are right at the airport and you can reserve on line. Last year I rented from them to go out to Paya Bay (turns out a taxi would have been better since the car just sat there for days), and I ended up damaging the car (don't ask). I was at their mercy, but they dealt with the damage very fairly, charging me way less than they would have at home. But I'm left with the feeling that it would be best to avoid renting a car since there are better transportation options. West End now has parking restrictions, so a car can be a real liability, as I found out.

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
4,540 posts
138 reviews
2. Re: car rental in roatan

We used Avis a couple weeks ago. Good news is our online reservation was honored at the very good rate of $150 a week for an economy car. The bad news is the car was an old Suzuki that Idiot She maintains was cheap on gas - but the nuts for the 3 chipmunks that powered it cost a fortune.

It had no suspension left and with 4 people in it we occasionally had to back down a hill to get a running start. We called for a replacement and couldn't get one until the next morning... Then we sat around waiting until 1 PM, then borrowed a phone and called and the car had "just come in" and wouldn't we rather just come and pick it up. No we would rather not... so we didn't really have use of a car for most of 2 days. The second car, a newish Hyundai, was fine...

Also - a note about gas. Both cars came to me with partially filled tanks. (The one I got last year from a different airport agency was actually below empty - the guy encouraged me to "try to get to Coxen Hole." ) I hate that policy... trying to figure out the right number of liters to bring the thing back and not have to pay excess. This time it was complicated... they charged me for the gas used in the first defective car, and ignored the extra almost-quarter-tank I brought back in the second car. Eventually they straightened it out, but the computer did not like it. Nice guy in the booth...

Also Avis has the highest name recognition, so the line when a flight comes in can be quite long at the Avis desk... and each transaction takes a long time. If I could match the rates, I'd go with Thrifty or Dollar just to avoid that line... but this year Avis got my business.

We pick up another one for a week on Saturday... we'll see how that goes!

Airdrie, Canada
Level Contributor
41 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: car rental in roatan

We picked one up today from Thrifty, right next to the Avis counter mentioned above - Avis had no small cars. Cost was $US42 per day including insurance and tax. We figured that based on taxi rides alone of $25-30 to West Bay, it was worth the extra bit in order to (a) get some groceries (b) find a place to stay, as we arrived from Utila without a reservation and found a great deal at Casa Paradise...

There was a slight delay after we signed all of our paperwork, and the car - a newer Toyota - arrived with the front bumper cover loose, so we made a five minute pit stop at their compound across the way for "repairs". Tires are on their last bit of tread, but otherwise the car is sound, good brake feel, and it got us safely to our destination. Big names does not necessarily equate to the same quality of vehicle that one sees in Canada and the US - check the car thoroughly before you depart...

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
237 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: car rental in roatan

Rented a car from Avis for a week this March for $150.00 plus extras it was $206.00 total. Instead of a economy they upgrades us at no extra charge to a 4x4 Kia, which was a bit of a clunker, but drove well and was perfect to go down the gravel road to Paya Bay/La Sirenas. But definitely sub North American standard.

The Avis people at the airport were very nice and check-out/check-in was a breeze.

Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
9 reviews
5. Re: car rental in roatan

Thank you to all for your suggestions (and experience!!)

6. Re: car rental in roatan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2015, 00:17