We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tank Rental

Dallas
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
Tank Rental

Does anyone know of a dive shop that will rent tanks so that we can dive to the reef that is right off of our condo?

Calypso, North...
Level Contributor
896 posts
1 review
1. Re: Tank Rental

An oft discussed topic that, I believe, has always resulted in the same answer: no.

Also, most shore rental dwellings are not all that close to "the reef".

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,764 posts
91 reviews
2. Re: Tank Rental

I have never heard of tank rental, but I don't know why that is. If you are certified, why not do a little shore diving on your own. The dedicated dive resorts, like CocoView or Fantasy Island, offer unlimited diving. So they will leave tanks out for you to dive on your own, BUT WITH A BUDDY, RIGHT? I think that the shore diving along West Bay is no big deal. The best diving, the diving that Roatan is famous for, involves swim-thrus and canyons and caves. On your own you would not be able to find these places, much less find your way in or find your way out. Heck, I've seen dive masters get lost in some of those canyons. So if you want to experience the best diving, hop on a boat and let someone else lug the tanks. It's hard to save a lot of money when the full price of a boat dive with tank, gear, boat, and DM is only $30.

Dallas
Level Contributor
3 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Tank Rental

Thank you for responses. We do intend to also dive with a dive master/boat but from pictures it looks like there might be some coral/fish right off shore and my husband is working on his photography and we were kind of hoping to get to just go out right off shore and work on it. There is a dive shop right next door and maybe after we schedule a few dives with them they will let us rent a tank or two to work on that.

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,764 posts
91 reviews
4. Re: Tank Rental

right off shore from West Bay beach there is wonderful snorkeling. Unusual given the shallowness of the water and given the amount of attention it attracts. But it's shallow. kinda hard to scuba dive in 8 feet of water without bashing the coral. But with proper sun protection you could snorkel all day. The best photos are achieved not by floating over it all, but by dipping under the surface. Those of us who have over the years acquired nature's life preserver may find it hard to stay under water for more than a few seconds. So instead of borrowing a tank from the dive shop, maybe borrow a couple of one-pound weights to put in your pockets. That will allow you to take more interesting pictures. Or you could stuff your pockets with sand but weights work better. Of course once you are on the other side of the reef crest the water gets rapidly deeper and you could dive here, but again the diving is not as good as other locations you would go to by boat.

Calypso, North...
Level Contributor
896 posts
1 review
5. Re: Tank Rental

""...The dedicated dive resorts, like CocoView or Fantasy Island, offer unlimited diving. So they will leave tanks out for you to dive on your own, BUT WITH A BUDDY, RIGHT? ..."

The horror of all horrors: Solo Diving is not an unusual event, certainly not at real-deal "dive resorts". Unfortunately, there are very few of them left, even on Roatan. CCV is certainly one of them, Reef House is another, AKR, too, but Fantasy Island in the same sentence is a stretch.

""...Or you could stuff your pockets with sand but weights work better...."

Is that what they recommend at Resorts that Offer Some Diving?

Ahh, back to ScubaBoard.

The mind boggles.

JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,306 posts
51 reviews
6. Re: Tank Rental

To each his own. I would NEVER advise a solo dive to anyone. We love to dive, also love life. You can always find a dive buddy on Roatan.

Edited: 21 April 2014, 16:23
Calypso, North...
Level Contributor
896 posts
1 review
7. Re: Tank Rental

When you solo dive, no one bats an eye if you fill your pockets with sand instead of lead dive weights.

So, there's that.

There is actually a recognized Solo Dive Certification that entails specific redundancy of breathing systems. In example: two tanks and two regulators. It's like going from your Fixed Wing pilot's license to Pressurized Twin Rating.

No, it's not for everyone, nor is night diving or wreck penetration, two other things often done at Coco View Resort and occasionally from Fantasy Island. Another thing that most folks wouldn't advise nor even imagine... and easy 27 logged dives per week at Coco View. It's kind of like the difference between Jungle Canopy Slide Tours versus rappelling down a mountain cliff. Different levels of immersion, figuratively and literally.

Tanks are not rented in most dive destinations. There is a perceived liability issue, certainly there is the issue of loss and theft. If you really wanted to "rent" tanks, I don't think many dive shops would hesitate with a cash rental fee plus a $200 cash deposit each. That would be one easy way to get their attention and likely sway their negativity to your favor.

Additionally, the greater bugaboo for this kind of activity, certainly on Roatan, is that availability and simple access to shore diving is very limited. Many folks think they have seen great shore diving on their vacays to the West End area, but in reality the best shore diving from Roatan is very difficult to access from... the shore.

97% of visiting Roatan dives (my best guess) are done along the West and Near West North Shore. The actual reef system is quite far out offshore. Along the Southern shore (where the two resorts as mentioned previously and Reef House Resort) are located, that's where the reef is lush and very close to shore.

Rental tanks and shore diving like you see in Bonaire? There is no other place in the world where that is so easy- that's why Bonaire is known for it.

Edited: 21 April 2014, 18:51
8. Re: Tank Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 01:16