Charles and Naree wrote a review Dec 2022
Jacksonville, Florida171 contributions
Elation is the oldest and smallest of the Carnival fleet. We chose it for a birthday celebration for it's convenience to home (we live in Jacksonville which is Elation's homeport). The experience had it's pros and cons.

The cons: Food in both the Lido Deck buffet and the Main Dining Room were underwhelming. The Lido Deck hot meal offerings were average at best. Desserts were almost exclusively cakes and soft serve ice cream. The Deli Bar was the best as was the Pirate Pizza. But at prime time Pirate Pizza appeared overwhelmed with orders. The Main Dining Room offerings were disappointing and while tasty good did not meet the standard for fine dining. For example, on the final night, one of the menu items was Enchilada. I can get one of those at the onboard Taco Shop. Daily grilled items were chicken, salmon and a thin steak. Premium meals like surf and turf were available at an upcharge. The only menu item coming close to what we expected was prime rib on Elegant Dining evening.

We observed a fair amount of raucous behavior on board especially by unsupervised teens and on several evenings we were awakened by loud and obnoxious passengers bumping along the corridor. While we did see some security personnel, a more obvious presence late in the evening would be helpful.

With only a single pool, it was always crowded. Two hot tubs on the pool deck were almost always occupied by kids. We did enjoy the adults-only Serenity Deck with it's two hot tubs.

One strange thing. The ship hosted a Military Appreciation event in the Mikado Lounge for those veterans on board. It was a nice touch. At the conclusion a group photo was taken of all of us. Later that photo was available to us only if we wanted to buy it for $7.95. We thought that a bit cheesy. I know Carnival can do better here.

Pros: The staff, the staff, the staff. Everyone (and we mean everyone) treated us over and above what we had previously experienced. The housekeeping crew gave us a clean and comfortable room. The Lido Deck crew were both responsive and constantly smiling. The Main Dining Room servers were top notch. Nearly all of those we met not only introduced themselves to us but also remembered our names on later encounters.

The Entertainment Crew excelled in their jobs. Neil, the Cruise Director, was a constant presence, keeping the fun going. The remainder of the Fun Squad were truly a fun bunch to be with. Others have commented on the evening shows but we would add that with a crew of eight performers and the Fun Squad, these folks really overachieved given the size and capabilities of the ship. We enjoyed the Diva and Rock Shows and the Bingo games.

Special thanks is warranted to Fun Squad Member, Peter, who on his own initiative, assisted in getting our elderly mother to the head of the line when debarking.

Bottom line is that we enjoyed ourselves. But if you are looking for a ship with more amenities and offerings then best to look elsewhere.
Sail Date: December 2022
Pools & Sundecks
Onboard Activities
Entertainment
1 Helpful vote
Scroll below for other great reviews

Carnival Elation

Interior Upper/Lower (1A)
  Porthole (PT)

Cabins

Balcony
Cabin size: 185 - 185 sq. ft.
Connected rooms: 8

• Filter
  • English
Ebony M wrote a review May 18
1 contribution
Carnival Elation boat - old, needs updated, steam room wasn't working, fridge in room didn't work, only one pool, no track, elevators not working, repairs being done throughout the cruise out in the open and in show rooms, lights in the cafeteria weren't working, automatic doors squeal, USB ports in the room don't work, beer station down Carnival Elation staff - never had a staff act like they didn't want to be there or help, no friendliness, boat was not upkept Carnival Elation itinerary - itinerary changed one day before sail, we were told via email that an engine issue was causing the change in stops, were supposed to stop at two islands, changed to one island and it was the worst island in Bahamas, refund was not available, sail off time changed and we were not alerted until boarding the vessel Carnival Elation food - never thought I'd experience bad cruise food, food was horrible, same food served EVERY NIGHT (and I've been on 10+ cruises and I've NEVER experienced bad cruise food or such a lack of selection in the buffet)
Robert B wrote a review May 3
1 contribution
I booked the Carnival Elation as a special gift for my mom's 75th birthday, but unfortunately, our experience fell short of expectations. Firstly, we received a last-minute notification of a delay, pushing back our departure time. Mechanical issues further disrupted our schedule, with changes to our itinerary and extended periods at sea due to the ship's problems. The onboard experience was marred by unpleasant odors, unsupervised children, and inadequate customer service. Many passengers, including myself, suffered from seasickness exacerbated by the slow 8mph pace of the ship. The ship's condition was concerning, with sewage smells and even instances of puke in the hallways. Carnival's response to issues such as flooding in cabins was inadequate, offering $25 on-board credit only as compensation. Despite spending a significant amount on the cruise, Carnival refused to provide any credit or partial refunds for the disruptions and disappointments. In light of these issues, I recommend exploring alternative cruise lines such as Norwegian or MSC for a more enjoyable and reliable experience. Ultimately, while the time spent with my mom was precious, the overall experience aboard the Carnival Elation left much to be desired. Save your money!
Sightsee00962101972 wrote a review Apr 2024
1 contribution
We sailed on Carnival Elation to the Bahamas and felt it was an incredibly chaotic experience. There was something wrong with the boat which delayed our departure time and ended up canceling one of our port visits. Communication was very confusing and disjointed. Our morning in Nassau, our catamaran and snorkeling excursion was cancelled due to "not enough interest." When we arrived at the information desk we saw a long line of people who received the same message. Come to find out the cruise actually meant to say it was cancelled due to weather. We booked a dolphin excursion instead. As we got off the boat we learned the dolphin excursion was cancelled and same man who minutes before had sold us the dolphin excursion got us to book a swimming with the pigs excursion. We got on a small boat, arrived at the island, and learned the pig excursion was cancelled but we were trapped on the island for the next four hours. As soon as we arrived back on the cruise ship they informed us the second excursion was also cancelled. Overall incredibly poor communication and customer service. Nothing was done to assist besides a $100 cruise credit per stateroom not passenger. I felt very disappointed with this use of half my vacation days for the year and very disappointed in the response from carnival. I would not recommend carnival to anyone.
R G wrote a review Jan 2024
36 contributions8 helpful votes
Returned 3 days ago and husband is still ill from a stomach bug. Read recent news articles before booking! Overall, I'd still give this ship a 2 compared with other ships/lines I've been on. Suite was good sized, and crew were very friendly. Even with 2017 refurbishment, it's an old ship. Lots of crying kids aboard. Food was passable, but except for burgers, deli, and pizza, passable is about the best I can say. Lots of small issues like a chunk of glass on our room's floor when we went in, elevators out of service when I had an appointment on 12 and our room was on 6 (and I am currently unable to do stairs after surgery), spa appointment time changed but we were not informed, issues with Carnival Hub and QR codes provided in room, announcements cutting in and out, technical problems with online boarding passes, dining menus, etc. All minor frustrations that could have been avoided by a cruise line that was at the top of their game. Carnival is not that line. Took the cruise because we live near Jax, but next time, I think I'll drive to Miami/FLL. It's cheap and convenient, but it is a "2" for sure compared with the other dozen cruises I've taken.
Michael A wrote a review Oct 2023
Jacksonville, Florida1 contribution
I have been a loyal Carnival fan up till now. It was the most crowed cruise I have been on in the 15 years since we started with Carnival and the staff was overwhelmed. My husband and I have been on the Elation a few times and have noticed a decline in quality over the years. It never bothered me that people called Carnival the Walmart of the seas but this particular crowd took it to another level. I personally have never witnessed some of the fights that have become common place in today's society but on this cruise I did see some particularly disgusting, selfish, loud, ignorant, unacceptable behavior. Who bends over and twirks in the lobby to show their rear? Who? Two women on a Carnival Elation cruise. Did I need to see that, you can't unsee that people. Get some class! Women in lido wearing thong bathing suits, no shoes, etce. Carnival apparently doesn't care. We decided to splurg on the Chef's Table. I have no words for the behavior of at family who decided to join us 45 minutes late. One walked through the kitchen barefoot! One was so high she could couldn't keep her eyes open. They scoffed at the food like it was disgusting. The kept leaving the room to go to the bathroom and each time we had to pause the dinner. They had disgusting table manners and all around the most rudest, ignorant, disrepectful people I have ever had the unfortune to meet. I will not be on Elation again and not sure if I will do any Carnival ship.

Upcoming itineraries

5 Night Cruise to the Bahamas
Departure date
Saturday, 24-09-21
The map for this itinerary is not available at this time.
Itinerary
Prices are cruise only, per person, double occupancy, and are provided by our partners. Taxes, fees and port expenses are not included. Fuel supplements may apply. Availability of prices is subject to the supplier’s pricing availability.