“3rd world service from a major in Christmas Island”
Review of Virgin Australia

Reviewed October 20, 2017

We were warned when we got to Christmas Island that getting off could be difficult. During our week the Tuesday flight did not make it because ,apparently, staffing issues. The the next day was due to weather ( acceptable) then on the Saturday we were due to leave staffing issues again. On the Sunday Virgin had an Australia wide IT outage which was fixed by 3.30pm eastern time (12.30) CI time. They started check in on time then stopped because the plane had to be rescheduled. About 4pm we were told that the plane was now coming about 8 pm and flying on to Cocus then coming back and staying all night. Due to staffing hours we would take off at 1.30 Monday. My email update confirmed this the next day but I was told in a local cafe that it was now 3.30. Went to the airport and this was confirmed but no email update. We eventually took off at 3.30. This mean that we had to be put up 2 extra nights on CI which Virgin arranged and payed for. You need a car to get around but extra days not payed for. Also told that our booked accommodation in Perth would have to be claimed and the Perth car hire charges for non arrival was at my expense. It appears that no extra staff are carried even when they know this will delay flights. Islanders are fed up with this service as were we.

2  Thank John G
Write a ReviewReviews (6,586)

Reviewed October 20, 2017 via mobile

Travelled to Sydney from Brisbane on Saturday 30 September and returned to Brisbane on Monday evening 2 October. This is a long weekend in both capitals, so I was expecting it to be busy and problematic. I do believe there were problems with checkin at Brisbane, however, we were fortunate to miss this. This is why you should ALWAYS give yourself enough time to arrive at your destination. Return flight was quite a bit busier in Sydney. One thing did concern me was that, people arriving late get pushed to the front of the queue without having to wait in line for 1 hour. It was clear that a few of these people make a habit of this, and have developed this to a fine art. Upon reaching the checkin desk (many self checking too busy or not working) I upgraded to Premium Economy for only $29 per person. Bargain. Staff were friendly and helpful amid a very hostile,returning home from long weekend public. Well done Virgin.

Reviewed October 19, 2017

I love that I can book my special assistance needs and my wheelchair for my flight via the website. So useful and I don't have to sit on the phone for hours. I love flying with Virgin Australia as they are always respectful and accommodating and look after me and my wheelchair so well. Always pleasant to deal with. Love it!

Reviewed October 18, 2017 via mobile

From check in to the flight the customer service was wonderful. The lounge was nice, though a little dirty and the WiFi kept dropping. The plane was clean, our seats were comfy, and our meal was decent.

1  Thank John W
Reviewed October 18, 2017

We had the opportunity to experience both short haul as well as long haul flights provided by one of two major airlines in Australia. The short haul from Coffs Harbour to Sydney was very good. It was on time and staff was helpful. Checking-in at Coffs Harbour went without a hitch and transfers in Sydney were easy. Long-haul from Sydney to Perth was pretty average We (my wife and I) had to share the three seat arrangement with a lady of above average proportions and the food provided was average. No choices for anyone with food allergies. Despite short delay in Sydney, efforts were made to arrive at the scheduled time in Perth. Staff during flight were efficient but it appeared that they were only doing there job. We expected better commitment to service from an airline who prides itself on good service.

1  Thank Opabos