“Business Trip to France”
Review of Air Canada

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I had not flown Air Canada for 30 years prior to this trip...There were some good and some bad. Flight to Paris from Toronto - during Spring Break - so had a few classes of kids travelling for history class. Kids were really well behaved and I enjoyed my first flight on a Dreamliner. Food on flight was terrible, guess I'm spoiled from flying Qantas. Got to Paris and 6 of us were missing luggage. I arrived CDG on Sunday - received my luggage on Thursday. I was given nothing at the airport, not even a toothbrush. I did want to shop in France but not because my luggage went missing - and the EUR exchange killed me!! To AC credit they approved my claim immediately but still waiting the "30 days" for processing.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (12,783)

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We got caught in the snow on the way to the airport. A normally 3 hour journey took 14 hours! Even though we left really early to give us a buffer, we still missed the flight by 16 minutes! We spoke to some absolutely fabulous staff at the airport and we were rebooked onto a flight only an hour later. And they didn't even charge us.
Amazing service and fantastic, understanding staff that handled our situation with the most professional and sympathetic attitude.
We never shout or yell as that gets no-one anywhere. It was not their fault that we were late and we expected to be charged for the replacement flight. But to not be charged was an unexpected bonus. Thankyou Air Canada and your staff.
Instead of flying direct, we had to fly to Vancouver and then back to Calgary but we arrived on the day that we originally should have. When we missed the flight, we thought we might lose a day or even two to get a new flight. But to lose only a few hours was just fantastic.
Again, thankyou so much Air Canada.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Apart from Air Canada cancelling our original flight from Manchester to London two weeks before departure, the overall experience was brilliant.

Due to a low number of passengers on our original flight to London, this was cancelled and they gave us the option of a re-route to Frankfurt or a full refund. We had no option but to go with Frankfurt as this flight would be getting us to Canada for our wedding. It wasn’t the cancellation that was major the problem it was the lack or communication from the airline.

Anyway as you can see from the photos the experience on the flight was great as they were aware we were on route to get married so complimentary champagne was provided out going and in coming. Food was also great and the onboard entertainment was excellent. From blockbuster movies to a game of blackjack against the wife.

Top flight, average customer service prior to flying but would recommend and fly with Air Canada again.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Flight was good to and from DFW. Note that if you want shuttles, you need to book them 24 hours in advance at DFW, cheaper to take TRE or DART to Dallas area. TRE is like the WestCoast Express but costs $2.50 to downtown Dallas. DFW was a ghost town both when arriving and leaving. Luggage carousel is a bit of a hike and is in another terminal so this will take time if you are checking luggage. Nobody around at DFW to really assist in directions or where to go.

Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I want to provide the airline with 3 suggestions, each of which I will speak to in detail following:
1. Improve the aircraft boarding experience - currently it's extremely poorly executed.
2. Charge passengers $25 for each carry-on bag that's larger than a ladies purse.
3. Eliminate purchased meals on the aircraft completely - all meals must be purchased in advance from the airline, a food provider in the airport terminal, etc.

Air Canada needs to do a much better job of proactively organizing passengers for boarding. These days, there is typically a line-up for priority 1 passengers, and a separate line-up for priority 2 passengers - these are great - the problem is the 3rd line-up for zones 3-5 passengers - it's this 3rd line-up that most EVERYBODY else lines-up in before any boarding announcement is even made - and the line-up is a mix of zone 3, zone 4 and zone 5 passengers with no particular order to zone or seating row number. When the airlines asks for zone 3 only passengers, that's when the confusion and mayhem starts that pisses people off. Hopefully the airline will read this and change it's practices before a fight breaks out and someone is hurt. Here's my suggestion. A staff member spend a few minutes to order passengers as per their seating arrangement on the airplane. In other words, if the airplane has 40 rows, line up the passengers such that passengers seated in row 40 boards first, then passengers seated in row 39, then 38 and so on - that way, as people board the airplane, passengers aren't stepping over each other trying to get by to their row/seat while another passenger is putting their carry-on luggage in the overhead bin, etc. That brings me to point 2.

The airline should be charging the same $25 for carry-on luggage as they are for check-in luggage. It's unbelievable how crazy big carry-on baggage has become for people that are traveling just a hour. If the airline charged $25, I bet there would be a material reduction in the number of carry-on bags people would have. And maybe passengers wouldn't be competing to be the first to board the airplane to get that last overhead bin storage space that seems to always be filled to the maximum. And I get that some folks don't check in luggage, for the many obvious reasons, so they want the ability to carry-on a piece of luggage - no problem, you just pay the $25 for that convenience and privilege.

Last point on meal purchases during the flight. When food is available for purchase, a reasonable passenger may depend on being able to order a meal during flight (and opt out of ordering a meal while waiting in the airport terminal), and that reasonable passenger would expect items in the menu to be available for purchase. Often, even on 4-5 hour domestic flights, some (often several) items are not available - the excuse given is the catering company didn't provide that item this trip, or sometimes (particularly if you're sitting near the rear of the aircraft) that item has been sold out by the time the flight attendant reaches your seat. I suggest moving to a model where all in-flight meal purchases for economy passengers would need to be done in advance online or on the phone. Business, First and Premium Economy would continue to be provided meal service in-flight. I would bet this model for food service would be well received by the airline (saves money?), the union representing flight attendants (or most of them, as they would have less work to do), and the traveling passengers (again, probably most of them, as their expectations would be better set and managed with fewer disappointments).