“tl; dr: Good service, terrible food”
Review of Air Canada

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Flew Air Canada for all legs of my North American trip in August: Brisbane - Vancouver, Vancouver - Portland, Portland - Calgary, Calgary - Vancouver and Vancouver - Brisbane (yes, that's a lot of money on flights!!).

They were all fine; the flights were all uneventful, and the service ranged from professional to excellent. The flight attendants were all at least bilingual, more than happy to chat and provide recommendations about places to eat (very important!) and visit, and I even met one who used to live in Brisbane, so we could chat Australian politics!

The long-haul planes were modern and sleek, while the flights to and from Portland were on turbo-props--something that I hadn't been on since flying from Thailand to Vietnam all those years ago!

The only complaint was the meals--airplane food is supposed to be bad (you know, pressurised air does things to your taste buds), but this, this was really ... not great. While not inedible, certainly if I had to fly Air Canada again I'd seriously contemplate bringing my own. If I'm allowed to be facetious, why does a Canadian airline not have Ceaser mix, or actual maple syrup?

On the whole though, it's certainly not a bad airline, and I would absolutely fly them again.

1  Thank UberOink
Write a ReviewReviews (17,964)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I can say only that learning to travel overseas is a lesson in itself. What you can take on the plane, what you cannot. Getting through boarding, security, etc and of course the trip home.

Despite the limited space in economy the first leg of our trip was pleasant. The food was pretty good for airline food, which was good since they had confiscated all my son's items for lunch in the security line. If you travel with a child that has special needs don't purchase special foods until inside the terminal. Then not only won't you have to buy food twice but you also don't have to worry about your child melting down in the airport because it's gotten taken away. Luckily rice, fruit, and several good breakfast items were available in the airline meal that he would eat.

My biggest disappointment occurred in the Air Canada terminal on the domestic side of the airport. It was like visiting a poor relative. The international side was clean beautiful, welcoming. The domestic side was dirty, under construction everywhere you looked, and a failure in ways i was not expecting on my return trip. I was afraid to touch anything, I didn't even want to send my child to the bathroom. The floor was sticky, reminiscent of a movie theater carpet, and the seating had spills and crumbs everywhere.

It was quite a departure from the terminal on the international side. It was difficult to believe it was the same airline. There was hardly any place to charge my phone/computer/devices that was operational, and the wireless offered by both the airline and the airport had weak signal strength.

The flight staff were professional, and accommodating rather than friendly but that was still a workable alternative. I'd say both the airline and airport staff could use a training on customer service from the international side crew.

The second leg of our flight was less cramped, we checked carry on bags to free up space at our feet and put our personal bags in the overhead instead, keeping out my son's laptop and medicine. As before the flight crew was exceptional. I'm not certain what the difference is between the flight crew and the airline terminal staff but there is a difference that is noticeable.

Overall, I'd have to say our return trip was less pleasant. I would still fly on this airline but they need to do something about their domestic flight terminal it's embarrassing.

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service (e.g. attitude, care, helpfulness)
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We tried Air Canada because of the cheap flight price. I was pleasantly surprised at the comfort of the seats, service and in flight entertainment options provided free of charge. Would definitely fly again Air Canada. We were each allotted one checked bag for free.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Overall this was a more or less decent flight experience. The first thing was the seats in Economy / Premium Economy just seemed more cramped then in other airlines, but Southwest is pretty tight also. Second comment was my screen didn't work, brought it to the attendants twice , who said it just needed rebooting, it never did work and she never gave me an update....?

The weather was not particularly good and the wind was blowing which probably explains why we were only a feet off the runway and suddenly the pilot accelerated, pulled up the landing gear and went around again, ultimately for a nice landing.

The staff were all very friendly and did an admirable job. I would fly Air Canada again, but it doesn't seem to really stand out from the rest at all.

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service (e.g. attitude, care, helpfulness)
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Service is friendly and efficient with a good balance. The food was very good. Seats are comfortable and go pretty flat. Slightly restricted room for feet if you are tall, but no climbing over other passengers to get in and out.