“An A La Carte Way to Fly”
Review of Allegiant Air

Reviewed February 22, 2018

My wife and I wanted to fly direct from Grand Rapids, Michigan to visit friends in the Palmetto-Bradenton, Florida area for a week. We heard about Allegiant offering non-stop flights to St. Pete/Clearwater airport, about 30 mins. north of where our friends live. I went on their website to book a flight and realized that buying a ticket didn’t get you on the plane. First you purchase a ticket and then you buy your seat. But wait! You have to pay for your checked bag (like most airlines, except Southwest) and if you intend to put your carry on bag in the overhead compartment, you had to pay a fee for that privilege. While the standard allowable checked bag weight is 50 lbs. for most major airlines, Allegiant limits your bag to 40 lbs. I must of overlooked that detail when I bought our tickets. We discovered the weight limit while we were in line to check our bag. We were four and a half pounds over the limit but the nice lady allowed us to slide “just this time!” (we were also over the limit coming back and they again allowed our bag to go through). I suggest you bring something to eat and drink onto the plane. Nothing is served complimentary. Credit card only, no cash. The seats are actually thinner with much less padding than other airline seating. The magazine and barf bag pockets on the back of the seat are hard plastic, not material. Oh, yes, one other thing—the seats do not recline. It was a good size plane (A 320, I think) and it appeared to be well maintained. We did save about $200 total over the large airlines. I would fly it again.

Write a ReviewReviews (5,682)

Reviewed February 22, 2018 via mobile

Terrible customer service, very rude, extra charges EVERYWHERE! Beware, it may sound inexpensive, but by the time you're done, you've spent more than if you used a better airline. They made us weigh our carry-on bag, then charged us extra to check it, wouldn't allow it in the cabin because it was over 25 lbs. Only problem was I took that same bag to Florida without them weighing it or charging us. Also DOZENS of others on the flight had bigger, heavier bags that weren't weighed. Just left a bad taste.

Reviewed February 22, 2018

We have now flown back and forth many times to the Tampa area. I will agree that the seats could be more comfortable, but the time you save with the direct flight definitely out weighs all else. No missed connections, no lost luggage, no concerns about weather in other airports. The flight staff has always been friendly and helpful. I suggest that you bring your own snacks as the choices on board are limited. It also pays to upgrade to a seat with more leg room if you are like me and have long legs.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
1  Thank meginiowa
Reviewed February 22, 2018

This is a bare bones airline, made to just get you from point A to point B. Seats are small and cramped, and flights are almost always full. However, being a flight to/from Vegas, the flight attendants were very fun and relaxed and the general atmosphere of the passengers is pretty much in party mode. You get what you pay for, literally, with this flight. Being a direct flight helps mitigate the simpleness of the services.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Reviewed February 22, 2018 via mobile

I chose allegiant for the cheap fares. I didn't know what to expect since I had never flown before. So I have no comparison. I recommend getting the app and checking in on that to save time and skip the line. I will fly allegiant again.