“Worst we have had”
Review of Asiana Airlines

Reviewed March 1, 2017

I have almost never given 1-star reviews, and the past time was two years ago. This is to emphasize that Asiana has really earned this low ranking. We flew ICN-JFK.

Asiana was by far the worst of the 8 international first class services we've used. As a quick overview the food was bad, the catering terrible, and the service unbelievably awful, resulting in a long and unpleasant flight which should have been enjoyable.

The first class lounge before the flight was like a low-end business one with mediocre and minimal food, and a loud waiting area above and open to the busy terminal. A bad lounge compared to others, but we were saving our focus for the flight itself so weren't concerned. In retrospect this was the best food of the experience.

Dinner service is when things starting going downhill quickly. We had preordered meals, which were not at all as described. They were bland and left largely untouched by us but for a cursory taste of each item. This should have been no problem as normally 1st stocks lots of options, but it was not the case here. It seemed like they didn't have any other choices, all the other meals were either 'already ordered' or not on the plane. This is in a small cabin that wasn't even full! It could only have been a case they didn't get the food loaded properly on the plane. They didn't even have cheese...

Six hours before landing (4:30am) when all passengers were sleeping, two of the night staff, eventually joined by a third, made themselves cozy in the empty first class suite immediately in front of us in row 1. For more than an hour they had a loud conversation that included laughing and woke everyone up.

With everyone awake, we started ordering breakfast, which were denied as "they weren't ready yet" (first class is supposed to be dine on demand), and asked to wait an hour, which ended up being more than 2. They offered to prepare the 'anytime' items, which for this flight were just Korean soup and ham sandwiches, which we declined. When breakfast eventually came it was better than dinner, but still only a business class level at best.

This is very much a 'first world problem' scenario, but these flights cost over 10k. Most business class experiences are better, and I have even had better food, wine and service on one Air France economy flight. The only way this was first class was the seat with a door, and champagne (but Rothchild, not Dom or Krug). When service was not ignoring the passengers (water was never refilled even once unasked in a 15 hour flight), it was telling us didn't have what was on the menu or preventing us from sleeping.

1  Thank J P
Write a ReviewReviews (2,541)

Reviewed March 1, 2017 via mobile

We flew a roundtrip ICN CTS. Sometimes people write about a tired interior, these planes were totally worn out. Upholstery hanging loose underneath the chairs,hard to find a position inwhoch you didn't hu rt your back, headtest that don't move. Meals of old fashioned economy quality and presentation.
Our return flight was 90 min later than planned, but because it was not possible anymore to change our travel schedule to the airport, we had to hang around with our luggage for 2 hours because they started the check-in also 90 min later, which I consider very bad service

Reviewed February 26, 2017

I flew a week ago from Seoul to New Delhi in Business class. The service was good, but the quality of the aircraft, seats, amenities(or rather lack thereof) was extremely poor. The seat semi-reclined, so my feet hung down at an incline which started to hurt after a while. The fabric on the seats was old and worn. The entertainment was worse than most airlines provide in Economy - mostly really old TV shows and very old movies. The food in business class was horrible, so I can only imaging what it would be like in Economy. I don't know how they can compete with other airlines. I would never fly with them again.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Reviewed February 21, 2017 via mobile

On both of my flights from Incheon to L.A. (sat in 49K) and L.A. to Incheon (sat in 55J emergency exit seat), I found each of the flight attendants attractive but not very friendly. On my flight to L.A. the flight attendant rudely tell me to put the shade down with a slight scowl. On my flight to Incheon, I hit the button to get the asked the flight attendant to help me with the screen to watch movies. Since my seat had legroom and there was no screen in front of me, my screen was inside the arm of my chair. She helped me, I said "thank you" and her response was a cold one: "Hit the flight attendant button to turn it off." Our flight was also an hour late because of ground traffic at LAX. I can't fault Asiana for that and to the pilot's credit, we still arrived on time. I had two meals on the flight. One was excellent (steak) and the other was barely edible. Compared to Korean Air, the flight attendants were just as attractive, but the service wasn't amazing by any stretch of the imagination.

Reviewed February 20, 2017

This covers OZ602 and OZ603. Daily service from Seoul to Sydney and back. On the way to Sydney there was no water in the sink or toilets of the lavatories in the forward section or economy. Things happen, i was hoping it was a one off, but 2 weeks later, on my return trip, the same thing. OK, so no water- let's make a sign to tell people. The plan has a lot of Chinese people on board but the signs were only in Korean and English and looked unprofessional. Take off was delayed for 2 hours returning from Sydney, another bonus. Passengers were given 15 dollar vouchers.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)