“Really the only choice for me when travelling from Uganda directly to Europe - all else pales in comparison!”
Review of Brussels Airlines

Reviewed January 10, 2021

I have said before that the 'new normal' is not exactly appealing to me as it has taken quite a few service elements out of flying. The absence of a welcome drink may seem the least issue but it also involves the absence of newspapers and news magazines, inflight magazine, the set up of fruits, snacks and pralines which made the Boutique Hotel in the Sky so special or the disappearance of the fare well gift of Neumann chocolates ... It is the case with all airlines now and while I hope for some of these service elements to return at some time in the future, for now it is health and safety first. Boarding was a warm affair, being shown to my seat with the staff of course wearing masks like all the passengers did too. Bottled water was being delivered was was a sanitized headset and an amenity bag. The flight left Entebbe on time and arrived 16 minutes early at Brussels. On the flight were two meals served, a fully fledged dinner and a continental breakfast, the latter with a warm bun and a warm croissant. The pictures will attest to the quality of the meals but it is always surprising how well  such meals 'survive' at 39.000 thousand feet and cope with the change in air pressure.As a starter I opted for the Creme de Champignons, of three main course choices I selected the Salmon, followed by a cheese selection and a slice of cheesecake. Well presented, very tasty and served with the smile, something sorely missed during my last flight to Europe when my hosts booked me to fly via Amsterdam, a never ever again experience!Turbulences on our flight were apparent, having chosen a flight route over the central Sahara but kept well in check by the pilots Damien and Ralph. Responsible for the service on board was Purserette Annemie, assisted by Ann and Nejib, but the other crew members, when going to or coming from the front galley, all smiled and greeted the first time they passed For me it felt like a homecoming after my mid December flight experience and it is true, when flying with Brussels Airlines you can count on the crew going the extra 'S'Mile - Savoir Vivre 'New Normal' style ...

Date of travel: January 2021
1  Thank Safariafficionado
Write a reviewReviews (7,587)

Reviewed December 27, 2020

I have ended up flying Brussels a bit recently because of working in DR Congo. Their African network is good and the flights going to different cities in Africa is one of the reasons I like Brussels airport. Their flight service it pretty standard not really exciting European airline stuff.

But oh my, their customer service is one of the worst i have ever experienced. Its obviously outsourced to a company where the people have a limited range of things they can actually do. But instead of admit that they just tell you things are impossible. I had to delay some flights because of COVID and they can clearly take my money to change flight, but they are just useless on things that ought to be pretty simple like linking two tickets with Brussels airlines. I had two flights, same day, Kinshasa - Brussels and Brussels - Alicante. i just wanted to link them so i could check my baggage the whole way through and not have to check in again at Brussels airport. According to the phone customer service this was just way out of line and simply impossible. Delivered in the rudest way when - having just got over COVID - i was a little bit fragile.

IN the end the airport staff did it no problem - but for the phone customer service this was out of order. There are much better airlines on the market. Do like I do - take them where absolutely necessary but avoid (or better take Ethiopian) where you can.

Date of travel: December 2020
Reviewed December 12, 2020

Flights in this age of the pandemic have their high- but also lowlights.
Check in at Brussels Airport was smooth but proceeded only after showing a valid recent COVID19 negative test plus having to explain why I did not need a Visa for Uganda, being a Life Resident ... also explained that VISA are in any case granted on arrival, not that this will be remembered by the look of it ...

Traveling Business in the past had its advantages like the use of the lounge to pass time until the flight would be called but alas, at Brussels Airport all lounges were closed - unlike my outbound flight from Entebbe a few weeks earlier when the lounge there was open - and operating under the new SOP's.
Having to 'hang around' and wait for boarding was not my idea of spending time ahead of my flight.

On board - a warm welcome was offered by (masked) Purserette Cynthia and her (equally masked) team in the front cabin - was the new normal again promptly apparent.
No news magazines nor newspapers, no inflight magazine or champagne welcome drink and regular announcements to keep wearing one's mask. Water was served in a glass, the plastic bottles also gone by the look of it, not that I minded that very much, reducing the single use of plastic considerably no doubt.

Oh well, I was sure the cabin had been completely sanitized but nevertheless used my own wipes to do the job once again to give myself peace of mind. Trays, surfaces, armrests, the seat buckle even, all wiped down and then I used my sanitizer spray to clean my hands again.

The food and drink service started once we reached cruising level and was as usual professional, friendly and attentive, the food selection and quality really good BUT, no more chocolates on trays or a fruit selection for one to choose and pick as was the case in the past and the Neumann farewell gift of pralines too had fallen victim to the pandemic enforced 'New Normal.

There is still a wide selection of superb Belgian beers and wines available in business class but in the age of the pandemic does it all feel different. Travel has changed and I suppose our mindset has to change too ... even when it means to accept the absence of service elements much treasured and enjoyed in the past.

Still, travelling in Business Class is worth it and the single 'King' seats are offering a protective cocoon I would not want to miss.

Captains Emmanuell and Philippe with copilot Bruno steered the ship through calm skies with hardly any turbulences and brought the flight into Entebbe on time.

Overall still a very good flight but I guess it is, for now. good bye to a lot of the things which pre-pandemic were considered quintessential.

1  Thank Safariafficionado
Reviewed November 17, 2020 via mobile

The actually flight was actually good, the flight attendants were very friendly, helpful, but I do want to plead to the management, that they should also help their passengers even more when they are in the airport either getting ready to depart or to arrive, baggage claim is one example, I dont know what happened but from lungi to roberts is such a short flight, but somehow they managed to misplace my bag, of the hundreds of baggage of course mine was the only one misplaced. After almost an hour of the baggages turning in the carousel, mine wasnt there, its a good thing i flagged down a Brussels staff and initially he told me to file a missing baggage report, but i told him how could they misplace my bag it was only a short flight , then he called the baggage handlers and they found it! My could you imagine if my bag went to Brussels? Please do more training for the handlers and protect your passengers...thanks ..

2  Thank ryanedwardazcueta
Reviewed November 15, 2020 via mobile

Avoid, cancelled my flights in July, still waiting for refund and no correspondence to date. Disgusting customer services. It seems I'm not alone and many more people are in the same situation. Feel very let down by the whole experience

Date of travel: November 2020
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.