“Awful”
Review of China Eastern Airlines

Reviewed January 15, 2018 via mobile

My family flew business class on this airline from Tokyo to Shanghai on December 31st. The plane was beyond dirty, and they had one single bar of mini soap- the kind that used to be dispensed one pp back before the advent of liquid dispensers placed on a hand towel for everyone to use and no paper towels. When I asked for a towel the flight attendant simply informed me that there were none. Did not eat a thing although a meal was offered. So grossed out by the bathroom situation. The best was on two separate occasions- we smelled cigarette smoke. The first time I asked the flight attendant and said she smelled nothing. The second time was beyond pungent and my husband and I knew it had to be coming out of the lavatory. We got up as if we wanted to use the facilities and waited patiently to see who was in there or what was going on. When the door opened, it was a member of the crew from the cockpit. The flight attendant knew why we were waiting for the lavatory, and seemed to be going through the “motions” of asking him if was he smoking for us. No particular concern whatsoever, as if this was perfectly normal. He nodded no, and then she turned to us and said, “see, no one is smoking.” I did not expect the pilot to say yes. We realized that no matter how wrong and unethical the smoking was, we were getting nowhere by pushing further. We sat back down, and that was that. Would not recommend this airline to anyone ever. Disgusting. Appallingly bad.

4  Thank LondonHH72
Write a ReviewReviews (2,969)

Reviewed January 15, 2018 via mobile

I was on a flight from Shanghai to JFK flight that was diverted due to snow storm. We sat on the runway for 2 1/2 hours waiting for a gate, no one communicated why we were waiting, didnt provide any water or ask us if we needed anything while
We waited for the gate. Then after being diverted normal airlines would provide vouchers to hotels, information around flight availability, what did they provide? NOTHING. After waiting in a line for 2hrs they provided us with customer service number to tell us they weren’t doing anything for us. Even the airline company next to us in the line felt terrible and provided us with water. China Eastern basically left us stranded. You are a disgrace to airline companies and I will make sure every website that asks for a review will know it.

5  Thank Cris T
Reviewed January 15, 2018 via mobile

Me and my Girlfriend was shocked at how much china eastern airlines has improved compared to 3 years ago when we were Travelling with them.

Back then, the service was extremely bad, food was average or even below and the seats were old. The only thing that enticed was the price.

We decided to give CEA a go again this year because once again, of the very attractive and affordable air tickets. To our surprise, it was a wonderful experience. They refurbished their larger planes, seats were new and comfortable, leg space was pretty decent, food was 5 stars in terms of quality and taste, inflight entertainment was one of the most up to date I have ever seen and the service was excellent!

Definitely would fly with CEA again but do note that you have to make a transit at ShangHai before your final destination.

1  Thank 117zhih
Reviewed January 14, 2018

Great airline, new flight, first time taken the route and I will take it again! I usually have to fly into Manila. It was great bypassing it all together with this flight.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Reviewed January 13, 2018

We have travelled many many times and are not particularly hard to please, but I have to say flying with China Eastern Airlines was an absolute nightmare. The thing I found most unsettling was the fact that no staff member spoke any English, odd considering 85% of the travellers where English speaking. What would happen in an emergency?? We had an issue with a small child (not the child's fault) he was a screamer, but also given what seemed to be free rein by his carer and did as he pleased. Obviously sitting in such close proximity I was in his firing line, we asked to be moved and were told if we paid more than we could be (broken English) we did not see how this was a suitable solution but the staff were not interested in the least. The manager was woken to come and resolve the issue with no positive outcome. An hour prior to landing in Brisbane a hostess came to me and asked would I like to be re seated? my husband said what happened to the passenger who was in that seat, did they jump out?? Everyone who travels a lot knows the food is not wonderful, but usually you are able to eat it and be sustained for the trip, the food on this airline is honestly disgusting and not palatable in the least. The in flight entertainment was poor, and you could not hear through the headphones unless you held them in with your fingers. The staff at Shanghai Airport are also rude and unable to help with any issues ? due to the language barrier they grunt and point. A "Smile" is universal but these were not available either on this flight nor in Shanghai Airport. Feeling extremely disappointed would be an understatement. As fairly frequent flyers we would NEVER choose to fly China Eastern again, nor do we recommend anyone reading this to do so.

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
1  Thank Deborah Deb's N