“Ok, until baggage”
Review of China Southern Airlines

Reviewed 14 January 2018 via mobile

Flew r/t VTE-JFK, outbound flight good no problems, service and food decent...inbound was a disaster, departed and landed late, rushed to connecting flight in Guangzhou...baggage didn't make connection though, 20 passengers had to wait two days for baggage. Not acceptable, we were told that bags would accompany.

• In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
Write a ReviewReviews (2,423)

Reviewed 13 January 2018

I made 2 flights with this airline. The service was good and one flight some of the staff spoke good english. The flights were on time and and snack was nice. Departing from Zhengzhou, I encountered soem problem with the name on my ticket. Apparently all my names should be on the ticket, not just my last name and my first name, but also my middle names as well.

Reviewed 13 January 2018 via mobile

Was booking a flight via call centre and asked specially for window seat, as result - no window at all!
Even though the flight was fine and flight attendants were polite and speak English, was very surprised with that little inconvenience.
Chinese style food, as expected on domestic flight, was okay but tasted a little bit strange.

1  Thank LeonWainor
Reviewed 13 January 2018

Safety is the No 1 factor when considering flights. I would rather pay more for a good record flight than a budget one, you only have 1 chance when above the cloud. Service average, I wouldn't say very good, but it gets me direct to my destination. I used to fly to HK then transfer to Guangzhou, and totally gave up the idea because of the time and hassle in transit. Seats are also comfortable, food not bad.

Reviewed 13 January 2018

I found very inexpensive fares to Southeast Asia and decided to give China Southern, which just started flying from SFO, a try. My results were mixed. (The friend I met had a worse time.)

Pros
The planes are big, new, and comfortable. Overhead room and leg room were ample.
Price is low.
Flights were mostly on time and luggage all arrived with me.
Free layover hotel is available in Guangzhou BUT process for visa-free entry is long, complicated, and not guaranteed. You may wind up sleeping in the airport.

Cons
Most serious: staff spoke really English really poorly. I travel internationally often, including on other Asian carriers (Air China, China Airlines, Air Asia, Garuda, Korean, Thai). On this airline, I could barely understand "San Francisco." A number of announcements were made about delays and turbulence; I'm not sure what they said. From a safety perspective, if something went wrong, I would not be confident the crew could communicate with non-Chinese speakers. I would be hesitant to fly them again.
-I booked on Orbitz and then had trouble getting seat assignments (for a 13-hour flight). I tried China Southern's website, which is mostly in Chinese, and wound up emailing them. They booked me seats for all but one leg and said that flight was full. (It wasn't.)
- My SkyMiles number (sent with Orbitz) wasn't included, and I had to add it at every leg. Delta also gave me few points for miles flown (perhaps half), based on the service class.
-Meals were poor. Simpler, fresher food would be better than what was served. Even peanuts or crackers.
- I had trouble on both long flights with my back of seat entertainment system, and for at least two of the legs, I was not allowed to use my iPhone in airplane mode, which had music and audiobooks. Ironic, flying near Shenzen and Foxconn.

The CAN to SFO flight stops in Wuhan and everyone must disembark with carryons and go through Chinese exit security. This isn't really explained, and then we had two hours in a giant, freezing, cavernous terminal with wifi that never seemed to work.

There's a good if pricey tea and noodle soup cafe that only takes yuan or dollars in cash....Be careful not to miss your flight.