“Best airline when travelling from Scandinavia to Asia”
Review of Finnair

Reviewed 19 October 2017

Finnair is my goto company when traveling from Norway to Asia. I travel at least 2 trips a year to different destinations in Asia like Japan, Korea, China etc. While they are not on the tier of Qatar/ANA/Cathay etc they are on the tier just below. they also do have more and more of the newer airbus 350 in use on these long haul flights which makes the difference between them and the tier above less noticeable.
On all of these flights you get two meals with free drinks, free water at any time, blanket, a good selection on the entertainment system and the stopover in Helsinki is really fast. Also I did not notice any difference between Finnairs Airbus 350 and Qatar Airways Airbus 350 in regard of seat space and entertainment system (flew both the same year). If not for the different color scheme I wouldnt be able to tell the difference if asked in a blind test. However Finnair also do still use older airbus 330 and these are of course out dated compared to the 350. So sometimes you get to fly the new airbus and sometimes you end up on the older version. This is also one of the reasons Finnair is a tier below ANA/Cathay etc.
However when everything is ok, then Finnair really shines and there is nothing to complain about them at all. They also got great prices to Asia and have a shorter flight time for people traveling from Scandinavia.

But the negative is that Finnair is not always the best at solving customer issues.
They are a bit slow to answer and you sometimes have to be persistent about your rights before they approve. However they have never outright refused to comply to anything that is my right as a passenger and most of the times there are no issues with them at all.
There are also a two incidents I have had where I ended up writing a long complaint after my trip. One was when they left my luggage in Helsinki and it took 5 days before it arrived in Tokyo while they put blame on another airliner.
The good thing is that they seems to understand and tries to make it up to you after wards since after i complained about the entire ordeal they offered my a nice compensation. But all in all their customer service is way better than the likes of Norwegian and SAS, but not quite up there where the top tier airliners are.

But the overall experience for me after using them over 14 times is that they are the best option when it comes to price, service, comfort and flight time traveling from Scandinavia to Asia, and i will use them again.

2  Thank etrym
Write a ReviewReviews (3,238)

Reviewed 17 October 2017

Flight itself was okay - no meal or any kind of entertainment, but it was a night flight so it wasn't that bad. Thing is, we did pay extra for our exit seats while they offered zero extra legroom and just behind us were two babies who cried nonstop from the moment boarding was completed and up to the point of disembarkation. I mean - you see these are families with babies, why don't you seat them on the back? After some time and only due to my request, one of the FA gave us ear plugs which made it a bit less horrible.

Reviewed 17 October 2017

I always like flying Finnair because it is so reliable and it is one of the safest airlines in the world too. The food or the service at least in the economy might not be so excellent always but it has always been ok, and the first flight to my kids was on Finnair. My younger daughter suffered from popping hurting ears and the stewardesses helped her. If I want a reliable safe airline I choose Finnair.

1  Thank 129jussim
Reviewed 14 October 2017

It was the first time that I traveled by Finland Airline (AY). It was a nice experience.
First, meals on flight were good. I had dinner and breakfast on flight. It's nice at all.
Second, the TV programs / films provided are good. There were variety of films. And thre were quite latest released as well.
Just one thing to improve. The attitude of the flight attendant can be more friendly.

1  Thank Angela S
Reviewed 14 October 2017

The aircraft was quite new.The food good but the service was very poor.
The in flight entertainment was average with old movies and had mot been changer since our previous flight on September 12.The cabin crew were all male Singaporeans in their early 20's and very inexperienced.
The lounge at Helsinki looked good but the food selection was the worst I have ever experienced.There were two types of open sandwiches. biscuits wine and beer etc..