“change a flight is difficult”
Review of Hainan Airlines

Reviewed January 15, 2018

I had a lot of trouble changing a flight schedule. Paying the change fee is not an issue. The problem is there no online operation to do so. You will have to pay their New York office and then someone from China will reach back. The whole process has to be done by phone. Then you may need to wait for 48 hours to have the change confirmed. It is very inconvenient. Think twice before you book your flights.

I have flown with them before. The fight experience is fine.

2  Thank Chinlee W

Reviewed January 15, 2018

My wife and I chose Hainan for round trip flights from Chicago to Beijing because of price ($660 per person when we booked) and high safety and consumer rankings. Both flights were in economy on Boeing 787 Dreamliners – one of them in service only a month. Seats were comfortable. Flight attendants were very friendly and helpful, though language was an issue at times. Food was fine. Movie selection was pretty limited, but okay. One major snag: our seat selections on the outbound flight were cancelled when the airline switched planes, leaving us with no aisle or adjacent seats to choose from. We chose to upgrade to roomier bulkhead seats for an additional $90 per ticket - something the airline could have offered for free, but didn’t. One other disappointment: A delightful young couple with a very well-behaved infant had the aisle seat in our bulkhead row, plus two seats in the row behind. Not long after takeoff, a flight attendant attached a bassinet to the bulkhead, which the baby napped in at times. Unfortunately the bassinet prevented us from raising or lowering the entertainment screens stored in our armrests. We left one in the up position throughout the flight so we could watch movies and the flight tracker, but this limited how much I could get up and move around the cabin, since I had to crawl over the screen to get out of my window seat. Overall, the flight was good, especially considering the cost. Would definitely fly Hainan again.

3  Thank 539jeffj
Reviewed January 14, 2018

At the end of October I flew direct from Calgary to Beijing. The numerous flight attendants were extremely helpful and provided fast food service each time on the flight. While on the flight, my passport disappeared but it was a mystery as to where it went. When we brought it to the attention of the flight attendants, they helped search the area including removing seat cushions and getting down on the floor of the plane. They helped search through my belongings. They made two announcements before the end of the flight and then after everyone disembarked the plane they stayed behind helping to do a very thorough search of the seating area. After about 15 minutes, we were about ready to give up when this small flight attendant jumps up off the floor with my passport in her hand. Needless to say, I was relieved and extremely grateful for her persistence as I had visions of "Terminal Man" in my head.

2  Thank 118margies
Reviewed January 13, 2018

After reading the positive reviews, thought I'd give this airline a shot. Check in at Melbourne was fast and smooth but departure delayed by nearly 2 hours without explanation. This impacted transfer at Changsha with flight arriving 10 minutes before departure of connecting flight. After collecting luggage, spent 45 minutes trying to organise new flight to Beijing dealing with staff with limited English. New flight scheduled for 9.30pm so long wait in airport. 9.30 came but flight not ready for boarding, again no explanation. Left after 10.30pm so arrival in Beijing after 1am. No terminal so left plane onto tarmac in minus temperature to fight for a place on shuttle bus. Welcome to Beijing!
Food and service on board both flights sketchy at best. Touch screens either not working or so unresponsive that we gave up trying to watch outdated movies and tv shows. Games not working at all. Hoped for a better experience on return flight- boy was I wrong!
Return flight via Xi An. Again check in @ Beijing was relatively easy and we were assured bags checked through to Melbourne. Arrived in Xi An and met by transfer staff who escorted passengers to international terminal by foot, informing us that we would have to wait 1 hour to be reissued with a new boarding pass despite having boarding passes issued in Beijing. Waited 45 minutes for staff who told us to come back in 20 minutes to collect boarding pass after customs had checked luggage. Waited 75 minutes again no explanation other than blaming customs. Another 15 minutes saw staff pull a bag trolley into the check in areas stating these bags "Had problems" and no boarding passes issued until luggage claimed. Thankfully our bags weren't among them but still had to almost prise boarding passes from duty manager.
Cleared security and proceeded to gate with about 30 minutes to spare. Once on board, same food, same average service and same unresponsive touch screens. Staff provided a customs declaration card only in Chinese. When we requested English version, told sorry there is none. Unacceptable for an airline claiming to be an international one, especially travelling to an English speaking country. After some terse discussion, was provided with a manual to interpret Chinese! Challenging at best in the early hours of morning. After that, I was largely left alone by cabin staff.
This bargain airline might be good for those trying to save money but the stress of missing connections, of substandard service and equipment is just not worth it. Obviously a Chinese based airline serving the needs of Chinese speaking passengers but has a long way to go to call itself an international airline. Would not touch it again ever no matter how attractive the fares seem. Buyer beware!

4  Thank Catherine J A
Reviewed January 13, 2018 via mobile

My seat smelled like old rags or dirty socks. An hour into my flight, I opened my food tray to find it was still wet. They must have wiped it down with a dirty rag before departure. My pillow had a big oil stain and smelled like unwashed hair.

Flight attendants were great by United standards, but horrible by KAL, Singapore Air standards.

Food tasted like it was from a 7-Eleven freezer and I received three half cups of water during the entire 12 hr trip. I had to get more myself from the back.

Can’t complain about the 787 Dreamliner and their safety record though.

1  Thank M R