“Manchester to Beijing [return]”
Review of Hainan Airlines

Reviewed January 21, 2018

We flew Dublin to Manchester [Aerlingus] on the fist leg of our journey & then to Beijing with Hainan Airline, economy class. As always, Aerlingus was super to fly with. This was our first time to fly with Hainan & hopefully won't be our last because our experience was really good. We were looked after really well, staff were professional, attentive & courteous at all times and the food was as good as you will get on any good airline. We had the feeling that Hainan were trying very hard to be acknowledged as a first class airline and they didn't disappoint. Good news for Irish travellers ... Hainan will soon be flying directly out of Dublin to Beijing.

• Check-in and boarding
3  Thank John A
Write a reviewReviews (1,405)

Reviewed January 19, 2018

We sat in economy seats, mid plane. The food and drink service was good. The price was very reasonable. We would recommend this flight, on this airline. The only concern was that on the return flight, the direct flight was cancelled and we were rebooked on an alternate route on an alternate airline.

Date of travel: October 2017
1  Thank gmarockyh
Reviewed January 18, 2018

As one may assume, the economy class is a bad class on any given airline. However, that's just not the case with Hainan Airlines. Even the economy class didn't disappoint me, and I'll tell you why right now, starting with the Seat Comfort.
Most of the seats have a recline feature, (unless you're seated in the very last row) which functions very well. There is also adequate legroom, just make sure to change your position every so often so that your legs don't become swollen. Next, the in-flight entertainment system: Amazing!
It is so extensive, and has almost everything you need; from tv shows to movies, music to games, it covers everything. Slight con though. The content is just a wee bit outdated. For example, in the music section, they have several wide-known albums such as Dangerous Woman, 1989 Deluxe, This is Acting, and so on. These were the selections available as of the date this review was written, so there may be a possibility that more recent hits will be added in the future. Moving on to Food and Beverage.
As one can expect, most airplane food does not meet the standards of regular food. Coming from a neutral perspective and standpoint, (as well as a person with not-too-high standards) I'd rate the food 6/10. It's acceptable and okay, but it's not extraordinary. For most folks, it'll do.
Pssssst, for those who do not like the majority of the food and do not suffer from celiac disease, here is a small tip. Eat the bread and butter. The bread and butter is a small side that will be served with every meal. In my opinion, it tastes better than some of the other things on the menu (appetizers, main courses) and is pretty good. If you find you like the bread too, ask the flight attendants for more. They most likely won't refuse.
Last but not least, Customer Service!
Despite the fact that the crew are not that fluent in English, they are still more than willing to help if you have an issue. My friend whom I was traveling with wanted a drink that had run out temporarily. Instead of telling my friend that there was no more Passion Sandy, the flight attendants went through three extra minutes of trouble just for my friend. That's some real devotion and good attitude right there!

3  Thank magica9278
Reviewed January 15, 2018

I had a lot of trouble changing a flight schedule. Paying the change fee is not an issue. The problem is there no online operation to do so. You will have to pay their New York office and then someone from China will reach back. The whole process has to be done by phone. Then you may need to wait for 48 hours to have the change confirmed. It is very inconvenient. Think twice before you book your flights.

I have flown with them before. The fight experience is fine.

3  Thank Chinlee W
Reviewed January 15, 2018

My wife and I chose Hainan for round trip flights from Chicago to Beijing because of price ($660 per person when we booked) and high safety and consumer rankings. Both flights were in economy on Boeing 787 Dreamliners – one of them in service only a month. Seats were comfortable. Flight attendants were very friendly and helpful, though language was an issue at times. Food was fine. Movie selection was pretty limited, but okay. One major snag: our seat selections on the outbound flight were cancelled when the airline switched planes, leaving us with no aisle or adjacent seats to choose from. We chose to upgrade to roomier bulkhead seats for an additional $90 per ticket - something the airline could have offered for free, but didn’t. One other disappointment: A delightful young couple with a very well-behaved infant had the aisle seat in our bulkhead row, plus two seats in the row behind. Not long after takeoff, a flight attendant attached a bassinet to the bulkhead, which the baby napped in at times. Unfortunately the bassinet prevented us from raising or lowering the entertainment screens stored in our armrests. We left one in the up position throughout the flight so we could watch movies and the flight tracker, but this limited how much I could get up and move around the cabin, since I had to crawl over the screen to get out of my window seat. Overall, the flight was good, especially considering the cost. Would definitely fly Hainan again.

Date of travel: November 2017
    • Check-in and boarding
3  Thank Jeff J
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.