“Don't book with Iberia!”
Review of Iberia

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I bought round trip tickets for my husband and I to travel with our friends in October 2023. We paid for premium economy seats. About 2 weeks before our trip, Iberia tells me that the plane had to be changed and our flight had to be changed. I was told that the new plane didn't have premium economy seats, but the one they put us on would. Oh, and the original flight was direct from Miami to Barcelona. Now, we had to have an almost 5 hour layover in JFK before getting to Barcelona. So, now we aren't flying with our friends and the travel was ridiculously long. Turns out, our friends didn't get bumped as we did, and the reason why were were bumped was to allow for crew to sleep. Oh, and I forgot to mention that there were 2 empty premium economy seats next to our friends! All this change for NOTHING! I will NEVER fly Iberia again and will tell all about this lousy experience.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I cant begin to explain how utterly incompetent, rude, disengaged and careless this airline is. I landed in Paris from MAD as a business class passenger with bags checked in a Priority. Only one luggage arrived. I filed a declaration of lost luggage, my bag was untracked, there was no trace of where it was. I made 7 calls to customer support, they were unable to tell me where the bag was, whether it had stayed in Madrid, had arrived to Paris. I received an SMS 10 hours after landing, informing me that my luggage was going to board flight VY 6937 from IBZ to ORY the next day. (Vueling is Iberia's low cost airline).
The carelessness, unprofessionalism, cumulated mistakes and absolute incompetence across the board is like no other I have ever experienced. As a frequent traveler it's happened to me before that a piece of luggage doesnt make it. But this was just next level.
Upon filing the lost bag report, I was given a form with a tracking number + 2 phone numbers to call and ask for updates:
The French one was a paid toll number
The Spanish one is out of service and lands on an automated voice note viving two other phone numbers to try.
When I called one of the Spanish numbers and asked for English, the line hung up on me, I called back and asked for Spanish. The customer support person told me my bag was not located. She asked me to describe items inside the bag, to help recognize it, to which I said you cant even locate it, how is a description of whatever sneakers or jackets are in there gonna help? To which she responded "fine, I will add to your file that you refuse to cooperate with the customer service operator", threatening me as if I were in the wrong, when my business class priority luggage did not arrive and is untraceable.
After 7 customer support calls throughout the day, which got me nowhere, i received an SMS saying my bag would land in ORY from IBZ the next day at 5pm... At the time of filing this review, im awaiting confirmation that the luggage boards that flight and arrives safely in ORY, and gets delivered to me. UNREAL. Will do the utmost to never ever fly IBERIA again and recommend anyone who values their peace of mind, sanity, and respectful interactions with staff, to avoid them at all cost.

1  Thank Clara A
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Had the worst travel experience ever with Iberia. Had flight from San Sebastián Spain with small layover in Madrid en rout to Dallas TX. Literally worst day of my 40 years of traveling.
First off I could not check into my flights online and had to wait until I got to the airport to find out that they did not have the tech to scan my new “smart” passport. They issued me one of three boarding passes only and apparently flagged me for inspection as well. I was worried about my one hr connection in Barajas for good reason. Wouldn’t help me at the gate so I had to run back to customer service and after waiting in line the woman literally took my passport and mid sentence decided to go to lunch. Passed me off to another rude man who finally gave me a boarding pass for my flight but marked with a big red stamp. I soon found myself in a special security selection in a back room with a male attendant who had me take off most of my clothes and shoes and dump out my bag so I could be “bomb swabbed”. I only had 15 minutes left to board my flight and I felt extremely violated and scared, as well as completely screwed if I missed my flight. I looked around at the other victims in this room being forced to undress and they were all blonde women of varying ages- much like me. I left this room in tears and made my flight by the skin of my teeth. NEVER AGAIN IBERIA.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Flight delayed by 4 hours, and there is no single apology from them. The flight duration is 2 hours and delayed by 4 hoirs.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

# Review for Iberia Airlines

I recently had a deeply frustrating experience with Iberia Airlines regarding a change to my return flight reservation. Originally, my flight was scheduled to return from Rome to Santiago via Madrid. I attempted to change the origin of my return flight to Milan instead of Rome but faced significant difficulties on the company's website, which redirected me to a phone operator.

After spending several minutes on the phone, I was informed that I could change the origin of my return flight for an additional cost of approximately $500 per passenger. I accepted the charge for myself and my two children, assuming the matter was resolved. However, upon arrival at the airport, I was shocked to be told that I could not board the flight, though my children could. This situation was absurd and highly stressful.

At the check-in counter, I was instructed to call customer service because the staff at the counter could not assist me, causing further delays and frustration as other passengers waited to check in. During the phone call, I was informed that I needed to pay extra to secure my place on the flight from Milan, despite having already paid for the change. This made no sense, especially since my children and I were on the same reservation.

After an hour on the phone, I was finally offered a seat on the flight, but my return flight issue remained unresolved. As the departure time approached, I feared missing the flight altogether. Although I eventually boarded, I spent the entire journey anxious about not having a confirmed return flight.

From Spain, I had to make multiple calls to ensure that my return flight was confirmed. Despite assurances over the phone, I only received the tickets and reservation confirmation for my youngest child, not for myself or my older child. The stress and unpleasantness of this situation were overwhelming, especially when traveling with two young children.

I strongly urge Iberia to revise their policies to empower check-in counter staff to resolve such issues. Up until now, I was a satisfied customer who recommended Iberia to friends and family. However, after this experience, I will seriously reconsider flying with them again. I specifically chose a flexible flight option, which did not prove to be flexible in this case.

This experience was deeply disappointing and stressful. Iberia, please take note and improve your customer service and policies to prevent others from going through similar ordeals.

Date of travel: May 2024
    • Check-in and boarding
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.