“Not too bad handling of missed connection”
Review of Kenya Airways

Reviewed February 8, 2024

Kigali-Nairobi-Bangkok 4th Feb. 2024.Ticket cheap, promotional, purchased instantly after KQ resumed their NBO flights to China via Bangkok. Trip started well, check-in in KGL clear though tedious (20-40 minutes per person in Skypriority line!). Luggage inscribed the whole way inclusive of an additional leg to Hanoi on another ticket with Vietnam Airlines, another SkyTeam alliance member. That would ease my transfer in BKK. Later, the trip became an unreasonable lengthy Odyssey over 4 days: due to just a two hours delayed departure from KGL, I missed connection NBO-BKK which was closed at gate (or cancelled; I got different information). First, KQ sent me from the now closed gate 11 in NBO to gate 8 to board with Qatar Airways to DOH and then to HAN (final destination). However, I had to decline as only NBO-DOH was booked and acknowledged by QR. The remaining sector was not booked and QR refused to book me through to Hanoi. Then I had to queue up at KQ-transfer desks, who eventually told me that they alternatively would provide me hotel in Kenya until their next departure 2 days later (!!). On top, they further needed a supervisors approval to this long stay. I would go on next direct flight, but had to await ticket re-issuance. The approval would take hours.

In the meantime they sent me to their Prime Lounge in NBO to wait for details. Went airside/landside/airside and had to endure 2 security checks. The details dragged on; however, at 4 a.m. I was, without any dialogue, laconically, sent a rebooked itinerary NBO-AMS by KQ and then AMS-BKK by KLM. That detour implied a 2-3 times longer trip with arrival in BKK a day later than planned. They then saved on hotels but added on flight costs. I thought I better accept this solution as to discuss options seemed not easy and I was too tired to make a fuss, and would then arrive a day earlier than feared. Those two trips went well; I narrowly managed transfer in AMS, but my luggage was not following me. It apperently stayed on in Nairobi; this I arrived BKK without my luggage. It only arrived there with KQs own flight the following day. I had in the meantime postponed and rebooked my onwards tickets with Vietnam Airlines who of course could not sent my luggage with me as it had not yet arrived Bangkok yet. However VN did a great job to retrieve it and eventually submitted it to my private address in Vietnam upon an extra day and some ongoing actions from my side. Not to the benefit of Kenya Airways…

Flight 1 KGL-NBO
Apart from the delay, it was a fine trip on a well occupied B737-800. Lounge in Kigali was accessed through my Flying Blue Gold Card and was a pleasure. Food is good, including several hot dishes and savory snacks. Drink options are very sparse but well stocked. As usual, gate calls in Kigali are done way too early and even before arriving aircrafts have landed. If adhered to, one would sit in the dull gate area for 1-2 hours instead of enjoying the lounge to a maximum. Thus, I refused to be chased out of lounge early as there were no reason to rush for nothing. Boarding easy. Onboard, I got my wanted seat and preordered seafood-meal. Wines onboard are drinkable as compared to those served in the lounge.

Flight 2 NBO-AMS
Dreamliner aircraft, a bit worn. On time. Flight was not full; I was given three seats to flat out as I was deprived sleep struggling in the airport the previous night. Flight crew were very good. Two full meal servings with options and 3 full drink rounds was sufficient. Additional drinks provided in galley. IFE is OK, nothing extraordinary and very small screens. Headsets provided. Flight was on slow speed for cost saving issues and we arrived 1/2 hour late despite having left early. Transfer in Amsterdam bearable, no immigration checks while transiting non-Schengen. Only security consumed time. Lounge 52 is good as always.

Flight 3 AMS-KLM
Lounge 52 in non-Schengen terminal is spacious and good as always. Boarding effective. Huge, spacious, B777-300, fully loaded with passengers. Noisy aircraft. Got an acceptable seat. On time. The issue with KLM is the poor onboard catering and drink service. And, the surly, patronising, despotic, and arrogant staff. Passengers are de facto humiliated and treated like pigs in a pigstall. Nothing is allowed, seatbelts always on as to minimise their work. Nothing extra given or special provided for anybody. There is no recognition of frequent flyer status, even elite passengers. KLM need to up their game and renew the ageing stewardesses, though it seems too late. Hardly any drink rounds and always disallowed to order two drinks while finally being addressed. On a 10 hours flight we were offered meals only 2 times. First drink round was after 3 hours since take-off, way after the first meal service elapsed. Food of low quality and without any true options. Breakfast inedible. IFE OK, WiFi must be paid for; internet works with some hiccups, though. Call bells not answered and even if so, you are getting a rude, cold attitude slammed in your face so you regret to have called them, as anything appears to be too much of a trouble. The crew despise their clients and elite fliers are not getting any premium. The staff appear consistently to be of Dutch origin and appear like a mafia together. Blood infusion is needed and respect for passengers is far, far away. Never any honest smile, no charm, no joy, no jokes to break the ice. KLM has a long way to go compared with its colleagues on Kenya Airways and Air France.

Date of travel: February 2024
    • Seat comfort
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Check-in and boarding

Reviewed February 7, 2024

Terrible customer service, think twice before you book in this airline. I book my flights though their website. And I got the reservation with an error. I book my flight departure at 6 am and when I got the reservation I received with a different hour departure. I contacted them and they said it was my mistake, they haven't offered me any solution. And the reply it took hours.

Date of travel: February 2024
1  Thank Oscar Africa S
Reviewed February 7, 2024

Kenya Airways cancelled my booking 2 months after it was ticketed - and they had the audacity to ask me to go out of my way to request the refund. I have asked for more detail regarding their reasoning and have yet to hear back from them after a week. Worst experience i've had with any airline.

Date of travel: January 2024
1  Thank Reidos15
Reviewed February 7, 2024

We Booked return Flights through a travel agent from London to Nairobi then from Nairobi to Zanzibar January 2024. Due to Storm Isha our connecting flight from Dublin was delayed buy 2 hours.
We just missed the London to Nairobi Flight.
Looking for a Kenya Airways counter in Heathrow to explain our delay but it so happens there is no Kenya Airways counter in heathrow.
There is not even a person to talk to from the Airline.
We contacted them on their Whatsapp page and got talking to a Bot then a real human.
We were told there is nothing they could do for us.
Kenya Airways then canceled all our flights even though we paid for them
We paid €1400 return and No Refund, No reschedule & No Apology.
Do yourself a big favour AND DO NOT BOOK WITH THEM!!!
I cannot emphasize enough that they ARE A SCAM AIRLINE !!!

We booked with another Airline to get to our destination and we went to check in for the return flights and the were CANCELLED as well.

Look if your happy to take the risk of not getting ripped off go ahead and use them.
But all I can say is they are useless, no customer care, no counter in Heathrow anyway and the take your money and are happy to say ' Sorry there is nothing we can do '
KENYA AIRWAYS ARE A SCAM AIRLINE
KENYA AIRWAYS HAVE NO CUSTOMER CARE

DO NOT BOOK WITH THEM!!!!!!

Date of travel: January 2024
1  Thank Smokingchef1
Reviewed February 5, 2024

Our flight was cancelled at the last minute (along with several other Kenya Airways flights to other destinations) and we had to stay over in Nairobi for 32 hours. The staff were hopeless and disorganised. You need a visa to stay overnight in Kenya and this took them 4 hours to organise. The lounge was ill equipped to cope with the numbers of people and the few places to lie down were very quickly filled. Finding a replacement flight was a joke - we were booked on one but after waiting for 2 hours at the boarding gate, they informed us that it was full and we had to return to the lounge and start the whole process again. What a nightmare! The staff are unsmiling and when my husband became ill on the flight out, they took no notice. Beware - the sick bags have a tear off strip at the top which is not a good idea in an emergency when you expect merely to open the bag. Do not fly with this airline.

Date of travel: December 2023
    • Seat comfort
    • Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight Entertainment
    • Check-in and boarding
1  Thank MargaretG231
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.