“Extremely Poor Customer Service”
Review of KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

Reviewed April 15, 2024

My recent experience and dealings with KLM has been both the most frustrating and disappointing I have ever experiences in a lifetime of travel. The customer service they offer appears to have been intentionally designed to ensure that you don't pursue any issue that you may wish to raise.
My request for reimbursement for monies outstanding for pre booked seats on a flight that KLM cancelled should have been a simple task.
However this has not been the case, after an eight page documented dialogue on What's App and over twenty emails and a considerable amount of time with the customer service department of KLM, requesting that we be reimbursed to the credit card for the amounts paid for the seating, it was not forthcoming.
We were told, we must provide evidence and detailed, name, address, telephone number flight details a specimen signature, proof of identity with either a copy of driving licence or passport and full bank account details.
This was queried and once again requested that the outstanding monies be paid back onto the original credit card.
I raised a concern regarding the amount of personal information that was being sent to a call centre but I was told that that until this information was received the claim would be put on hold.
The requested quantity of personal data would appear to contradict the personal data protection act and its over use policy, "requesting only what is necessary". After providing all the evidence requested to the KLM call centre, the monies outstanding were finally paid directly back onto the credit card that the seats had been initially purchased.

None of the data that was requested by the KLM call centre was necessary to have the monies reimbursed.

I would strongly advise any one considering flying with KLM should be aware of the issues that have been raised on previous and future reviews of KLM.

Date of travel: February 2024
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and boarding
1  Thank trevor g

Reviewed April 14, 2024

I have had the most insane experience with KLM, We had to go from Amsterdam to Rome and the flight is delayed for 7 hours, what can happen

When we came home and submit all the documentation in accordance with KLM's own rules to get compensation. Now after more than 30 emails we still haven't received any money and new irrelevant questions are asked every day to bother the process as much as possible - This is a company where you really have to be careful - It's as if they deliberately bother you former customer as much as possible, just to get us to stop the process - A terrible bureaucracy and a frivolous company with no poli and a deliberate attempt to cheat and circumvent customers' right to compensation

Stay far away if you can

Date of travel: March 2024
2  Thank Rene B
Reviewed April 13, 2024

Nicks from Skytanking was super helpful and friendly and made my trip so much better. Sorted passport and visa with no queues

Date of travel: April 2024
Reviewed April 13, 2024

I rate this airline as the worst. My flight KL678 on November 4th 2023 was canceled and caused me alot of inconvenience and extra expenses. Despite being eligible for compensation, KLM has refused to compensate me. Their customer service representatives is a bunch of incompetent ladies who have no clue of their job. They lie and will do exactly the opposite of what they tell you.
The most shocking thing is that my claim for compensation was declined because my final destination was not in an European country. What level of stupidity is this? KLM flies from Calgary to my final destination Nairobi. What business should I have in an European country? I am not an European.
They have declined my case twice. I am thinking of other options but KLM must pay all the expenses that I incurred due to this cancellation.
Please I advise traveller's to avoid this company.

Date of travel: November 2023
    • Customer service
    • Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
1  Thank Rosemary A
Reviewed April 13, 2024

I've just come back from my trip, KLM has been the absolute worst experience I've ever had flying with any airline. From the beginning Glasgow Airport with KLM flying to Denpasar (Bali) check in opened late 2 hours before instead of the usual 4 hours on long haul flights, when asked what was the reason behind this was KLM said that the flight was going to Amsterdam and not Denpasar. No other airline has ever done this to me and other customers who are in long haul trips and I've lost out on lounge access that I've paid for as a result. I've also asked for an upgrade to business class and the desk staff said yes, as I was about to pay the staff at the desk told me that they will take the payment and sort the details out in Amsterdam, when I got to Schipol nobody knew what was going on and I basically wasted even more time and not for the first time with KLM, misadviced. On all flights to and from Denpasar I've experienced some of the most unprofessional service I've seen from cabin crew, from being constantly ignored to loud and boisterous personal conversations echoing throughout the cabin, it's all there.

And to top it all off KLM have now lost my luggage and no one knows where it is. I'm at a loss for words at just how bad standards are for KLM. Even if somebody tried to make the whole experience bad on purpose, they could not possibly make it so, the service is just that bad. Even the phone support is so bad that the agents are not equipped to deal with customer queries and I'm just being redirected to the website. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

Date of travel: April 2024
1  Thank Miguel L
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.