“at home in 33000 feet”
Review of Lufthansa

Reviewed January 17, 2018

Departure on time; arrival 20 minutes ahead of schedule.
Phantastic staff aboard, calm and comfortabe daytime flight.
Food very much to my preference: fish, fish and... fish.
Excellent Riesling!
Veritable choice of inflight entertainment.
... just my hip-bone is too large for the seats ;-)

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (23,589)

Reviewed January 16, 2018

Generally positive experience. Check-in a little disorganized. No one was there to help. The sign said that you needed a boarding pass to line up, but there were no available kiosks to my knowledge. Could have done without the anxiety of not knowing whether or not my wait in line was all for naught. Otherwise, once I got to the checkout counter and on the plane, the service was courteous and professional.

Reviewed January 16, 2018

Book a different airline.
***
The airport staff in Los Angeles tried to deny us boarding passes because "Italian immigration wants you to have 90 days past your return date available on your passport." We had to ask a dozen questions and demand a supervisor to get to the reason, the ticket agent simply didn't want to let us on the plane. This took two hours. They offered no hope, no suggestions, no solutions. And no one in the EU cared about the 90 day "rule."
***
This seemingly arbitrary policy enforcement meant my husband would have to come back on Christmas Day, two days after arriving in Italy. Lufthansa doesn't fly on 25 or 26 December. They wanted to sell us an $8,000 one-way return flight on an associated airline. We bought a return flight on another airline and they let us go with a stern warning.
***
Our flight was half an hour late getting into LA and boarding, big relief, but it made us late on the other end and we missed our connection to Florence. No one escorted us to the connecting gate in Munich nor did they help at all and we watched the doors on the waiting shuttle close after running all that way. British Airways never lets this happen - they track the connecting flights and tell you while you're still in your seat that they are going to rush you through, and then they do. On one of those little golf carts, with all your stuff. Even if you're flying economy! We paid for business class on Lufthansa.
***
We had to spend the night in Bologna at our own expense, after losing the money we paid to stay in Florence AND the transfer fee. Then, we had to pay even more to take the train to our original destination. A honeymoon is not the right time for this kind of adventure.
***
There was exactly one Lufthansa ticket agent in Los Angeles serving all the people traveling for the holidays. In Los Angeles! I mean, isn't LA one of the biggest, busiest airports in the world? There was exactly one ticket agent in Munich trying to rebook a dozen people in our situation, two days before Christmas. And the gate crew in Firenze was so disorganized that people at the gate were yelling at them, which I had never seen. Fabulous.
***
Lufthansa in-flight service is wonderful as long as you're on Air Dolomiti (an affiliate). Choose another airline. Life is too short for Lufthansa. And definitely too short for United, their affiliate in the US.

2  Thank LA_Rough_Rider
Reviewed January 16, 2018

I'm not sure if I would recommend them or not. On the whole, the flight experience was as expected - crowded, cattle-call ...

The one thing I would note is that I was upset with the lack of attention paid by the flight attendants. I know the job is more involved than serving food and beverages but it should include collecting trash more than once during a flight. By the time we got off the plane, there was trash everywhere. Personally, I had a problem because the amount of trash my husband and I had accumulated prevented me from getting out of my seat to go to the bathroom. 7 hours without being able to get up is unacceptable. And, when I asked a flight attendant to take our trash, she just laughed at me and walked away, never to return.

Otherwise, the movie selection was fine. The food was awful. The beverages were as would be expected. The seats on our two long flights (we had a change in Frankfurt) actually seemed larger than most domestic seats.

Oh, loading was not as we see with US carriers. They loaded first class and families, etc., then loaded the rest of the plane all at once. I haven't found a system that works best yet but this just results in chaos.

Reviewed January 16, 2018

Very happy with Lufthansa flight offered free beverages to all at No charge don't know if this is the normal or just because we where 10/15 mins late taking off. Seems like more leg room