“Patchy call center quality”
Review of Lufthansa

Reviewed February 20, 2018

Flight was adequate & efficient, and lounge was good.

However, call center knowledge and efficiency was patchy. I was traveling on a Star alliance round-the-world ticket, and had to make several date changes to my ticket. The LH call center you get when calling from Europe (in South Africa) had no idea how to handle this and couldn't even give me a correct number for someone who could, whereas the call centers for Asia (Shanghai) and the US are fully on top of it. In the end it took almost two hours, partly on an international non-toll-free call to Germany (in fairness, the reservations desk in Germany is very competent and efficient), to make a simple date change.

As Lufthansa is the round-the-world specialist for the Star Alliance (they are the airline which will issue the ticket if you book through the Star Alliance website), they should ensure that all their call centers are competent to handle these tickets.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (20,999)

Reviewed February 19, 2018

I was quite exciting to be on a A380 again after my first experience with Thai Airways a few years back, and seeing all the ads and everything kind of raised my expectations.

Minus points:
1. the fact that you cannot choose your seat in advance for free (unless you are senator level or so). So, one has to wait until online check-in opens, then gets to select preferred seat free of charge.

2. baggage allowance is only 23kg.

Check-in:
the online check-in system and the mobile application is really easy to use and did not have any issues. Also, dropping baggage off at the airport was quick.

Boarding:
flying with a huge plane means there will be a lot of people, so it felt like boarding took ages! and on the way back to BKK from FRA, they let passengers go through automatic gates, which took even longer than usual because the machine did not always work

Seat & inflight entertainment:
the most disappointing part of flying on LH newest A380 fleet was probably the seat. I am about 165cm tall and I felt I barely had any space. My fellow passenger felt the same way. I had much more space on B773 of other airlines.

The personal screen was small. The selection of entertainment was ok, but since the screen was a bit small and I did not have much distance between me and the screen while the person in front of me was lying down, I gave up on watching movies.

Meals:
I didn't order special meals this time and was getting just the normal meals, which were ok.

Overall service:
I think it was ok. It was also fun to observe that the crew would address every "western looking" passengers with German (even though that poor guy was Irish and spoke no work of German) and address me in English (even though I spoke German to them). They also forgot to serve vegetarian meal to my fellow passenger on the same row

All in all it was OK, but next time I would probably consider a different airline.

Reviewed February 19, 2018

I occasionally use this airline on business, as it is too expensive to fly it with the family on leisure :) The air-crafts always seem to be in great condition. Cabin is neat. Crew is always very professional. On the other hand, speaking about the service, food and beverages - nothing too special, if you compare with Qatar, or even Turkish airlines. It's always great to fly with them. Congrats on the 5 stars from Skytrax !

Reviewed February 19, 2018

im flying with lufthansa for the last 6 years. Is a relaible company with decent airplanes.
As long as the segment is operated by Lufthansa is a relaible flight but if you have to run with SAS ( which is a part of Star Alliance) well expect delays. For that dont have close connections less than 40 minutes in Frankfurt, Oslo or Copenhagen.

Reviewed February 19, 2018

Context: Myself & wife, both senior citizens of age 63 & 66, were to travel together by above flight at 0210 on 12th Jan 2018 from Pune, India to Frankfurt, Germany, followed by second flight from Frankfurt to Boston, USA by another flight LH 422. Our bookings were done much in advance from USA & while booking our emails, cellphone numbers were duly registered with airlines. It also showed up on the bookings. We had paid for extra leg room seats.

Experience: We arrived at Pune,India airport 4 hours in advance, along with 4 check in bags & 2 cabin luggages to check in at the Lufthansa counter. We had travelled to airport by taxi.

While showing our tickets to security at the airport entry for getting inside, the officer broke the news that our flight was cancelled & asked us to approach either at counter inside airport or outside, just opposite of entrance. We first approached outside counter, who confirmed that the flight was cancelled. Then we asked, why was there no intimation either on our email or cellphone to that effect? He just shrugged his shoulders. Then we asked what now? So he asked us to get inside & contact inside counter for anything to be done.

We went inside, in most agitated mood. At inside counter we got same answer plus they said they were looking. This type of exchange was intermittently happening for about an hour. We both were standing for that much period. ( We are both senior citizens running age of 65). After getting disgusted, I asked the counter girl, what exactly they all were up to & what did they exactly intend to do with us. Secondly how on earth, when whole flight was cancelled, there were only about 10 people around & where are others? She said they were duly informed & they did not come. So again I asked, why we were only unfortunate senior citizens not to get any idea when our emails & cellphones were registered with them? She only shrugged.
Finally after repeated asking, I asked if we could be accommodated on Mumbai based flights or any other flights. On hearing that, she said was it urgent that we should go? So when I insisted, yes we must go, then she said one of us could be sent, while other will have to stay back. My wife refused to go alone & I told her if I go, my wife alone cannot travel back in the middle of night back to home.

after so much of exchange I was diverted to other girl, who was indeed sympathetic. She in hushed tone told me to please wait & assured she would do something. I told her we did not want to go alone. So she assured me she would get me better solution.

After about 2 hours standing, she invited me to verify for approval an alternative itinerary draft for both of us of, which she produced. It took us from Pune to Abu Dhabi to London to Boston by 3 different airlines. When I okayed it, we were duly given that alternative booking.

Throughout this episode, there was utter chaos, nobody from airline was in charge, everyone was pointing to others. There were no announcements, No one assured us anything. No one requested us to seat...though there were no seats at all. No one offered us even a glass of water, let alone a glass of war, tea or coffee.

In my honest opinion, they must have come to know about flight cancellation at least few hours earlier. There should have been a plan B in place. Some one from airline should have guided passengers about various alternatives possible & their rights in such situation. There was utter chaos. A professional, experienced & top class Airline like Lufthansa, should have handled such situation in much better & professional manner. I am myself an experienced professional in corporate world.....hence I know for certain that there should have been better handling of such situation.

Only one junior girl was sympathetic, not only to me, but to few others too & she was proficiently handling rerouting.

I had very high opinion of German professionalism. But this experience destroyed it. When I wrote back to Lufthansa, their official reply was that they could not help due to airport problems..standard way...excusing themselves. My only intention was to point of lack of professionalism. I did not ask for anything from them.

While their website contained lot of information about passenger rights. they seem to be good only at fair situation..in crisis... I doubt their professionalism.

Anyway, My only purpose of this report was to explain whatever factually happen & let them draw their own conclusion. But be careful. Regards,

1  Thank Harshvardhan M