“Best Five Star Airlines”
Review of Singapore Airlines

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Singapore airlines really made me comfortable during the flight with the best service from your cabin crew, best taste with the breakfast, lunch and dinner menu with the high quality. This is first time I'd try your Airbus A380-800 route Singapore - Hongkong.

Date of travel: November 2018
    • Value for money
Write a ReviewReviews (16,832)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I used to fly regularly with Singapore Airlines between London and Sydney but had not done so for about ten years. I booked this trip on the basis of previous experience when I remember excellent and faultless service, great attention to detail, good seats and great entertainment. One feature of that service was that you were unfailingly addressed by name by the crew. I looked forward to my journey and bear in mind that I paid a premium for it over and above what I could have paid another airline but I was willing to pay it because Singapore Airlines presents itself as unmatched and the best in the business. They might have been once but they are certainly not now and are at best average.

Check in at Heathrow was rather chaotic, there were five desks open for first and business class although two of them were designated first class and bear in mind that Singapore Airlines only have six first class seats on the A380 so rather overkill. The queue moved reasonably quickly and the person working was polite.

I made my way to the lounge, there are four choices of lounge in terminal two, all accessible with a business class boarding pass. Having been to them all I would rate the Singapore Airlines lounge as last of the four, the food offering is the poorest of the four and on other fronts it's certainly no better.

Boarding was efficient but then that's self managed through automated gates and the same for any airline in terminal two.

The A380 on the London - Singapore sector was one of the newest with their latest business class seats. I found the seat most uncomfortable. It's way too hard for a long flight, the leg rest is totally useless and doesn't elevate to any useful angle and to put your feet up you are forced to sit at an angle which is not particularly comfortable and after a while I had a sore back so was left with the choice of a sore back or don't put my feet up. The seat does go fully flat but I doubt most people spend more than 50% of the flight in a fully flat position so something of a fail. The seat also boasts a high level of privacy. I would define that as claustrophobic as the seat is so enclosed that's what it felt like.

The service of food and drinks was very task driven and impersonal. Over both the sectors I was not addressed by name on a single occasion. I found it quite disconcerting that the norm for the crews seemed to be to take things from a trolley and put them down on your tabel without even acknowledging you, on several occasions things were put down while the crew member had her back to me and she talked to her colleague across the trolley. Most airlines do not even have trolleys in the aisles in business class these days.

The food was at best average. There is no choice of starter, a choice of mains, two puddings and a cheese course. There is no flexibility in the times of service and you eat when the crew decide you should. Between meals there is a range of mediocre snacks.

The inflight entertainment system is good but no better than that of others.

The aircraft between Singapore and Sydney was a 77W and it features an older version of the seat with still no possibility of using a leg rest and the impossibility of putting your feet up unless you sit at an angle. This was a day time service so a flat bed was inappropriate. The older seat is slightly more padded than its newer relation so slightly less uncomfortable. The service on this sector was no better and just as task driven and impersonal.

The return journey was no better, just more impersonal, task driven service. The older A380 was poorly maintained internally with lots of scuff marks and poor seat controls.

I also find in 2018 the previously iconic 'Singapore girl' sexist and outdated. It really is time this was dumped and the crew were allowed to dress more appropriately for their role. You do not see women in vibrant and forward thinking Singapore going around dressed like this!

So, I wouldn't again be willing to pay a premium for Singapore Airlines as I don't consider that they are now in any way industry leading, in fact they are definitely in the lower half of the pack and trading on past glory while charging a lot of money for the average offering. Others offer better for less money and on future journeys I will look to them for my travel needs.

Date of travel: November 2018
2  Thank longhaulfromlondon
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The flight coincided with the airline's 70th anniversary and was comfortable, fully booked and departed on schedule. The food was average, the coffee terrible, but I enjoyed a Singapore Sling during linch. The staff were helpful.

Date of travel: December 2017
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I know that Singapore Airlines is regularly rated one of the best airlines and was anticipating this flight a lot. Service on board was friendly, quick and efficient. Their „book the cook“ option is good way to chose your dish in advance from a really comprehensive menu. Unfortunately, my steak was extremely chewy. But this can happen.
The reason for my poor rating is that although their seat is one of the widest, for tall people it’s just too small. When turning the seat into a bed, feet have to fit into a small cube. I‘m 6.1 tall, and is was kind of hard to put my feet in there. Best way was sleeping on the side with bend legs.
IMO other airlines have a way better seat/bed, like Air Canada or Oman Air. So from a service point of view SQ is definitely doing it right. But their seat just isn’t made for tall people to sleep relaxed. And on long-haul flights to me it’s more important to get a good sleep than to have decent meals. Bottom line is: I wouldn’t fly SQ again.

Date of travel: October 2018
1  Thank Torsten1978Muc
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Check-in took a while due to inexperienced staff. Seat was comfortable and cabin was spacious. Cabin crew were professional, helpful, and cheerful.

Date of travel: October 2018