“Dreadful, disorganized check-in”
Review of Sunwing Airlines

Reviewed 7 December 2017 via mobile

When flying with a discount airline, expectations are already low, but Sunwing has succeeded in lowering the bar further. Sunwing knows in advance, I assume, when the flight is leaving and how many people are flying - and should have enough people working. They didn't, though, and the check-in line kept growing longer as we waited. They were glad to offer us upgrades to Elite Plus check-in, allowing skipping the line. For a fee, of course. And, apparently, the express check-in also including jumping to the front of the regular line, too, causing further delays. Have to mention that the baggage drop -off was on the other end of the airport. Another well thought out plan. The saving grace is that flight take off was also delayed. Surprise surprise. Otherwise the added time to pass through Security and US Passport Control would have caused us to miss the flight.

In the end, saving a few hundred dollars for a family of 5 to fly is not worth the stress. If we do fly on Sunwing again, it will be with eyes wide open and I will accept full responsibility when the rest of my family looks for someone to vent their frustration on. This time, the blame is all on Sunwing.

2  Thank adstuart
Write a ReviewReviews (3,008)

Reviewed 6 December 2017

Once again flying Sunwing for our package vacation to Huatulco.
Everything went just fine, check in was efficient, a checked in bag was included for each passenger.
The carry on allowance of 5 kg is pretty tight to deal with.
Service on board was good.
I wish they did not have so much upselling, duty free, tours, even bottled water for arrival., a constant announcement of extras for sale.
I do however understand that these extras boost their profit which in turn allows a good price on basic flights

2  Thank Terry E
Reviewed 6 December 2017

Flight was good - typical flight so not much to say. Staff was friendly and check in etc was smooth.

1  Thank taray859
Reviewed 6 December 2017

The service was great and the staff very friendly and accommodating. Food selection is much better and quality is very much improved. Pre-order duty free for trip home was handy. Ensured we got what we wanted. New aircraft was nice but seats are a still a bit tight. OK for short flight. Unless I missed something on the WEB you must pay for seat selection and you can't print a boarding pass as on most other airlines. The only other improvement I can suggest is check in at YYZ. We arrived exactly three hours before flight time to find the line was very long and only two ticket agents on duty. It did improve as four more showed up in about 15 minutes. Guess lunch hour was longer than 60 minutes. Boarding was fine.

1  Thank 451frankl
Reviewed 5 December 2017

Follow others like Air Transat & Air Canada, to avoid line-ups to paid your $10US airport tax for entering & $20US (tourist card) while exiting the Dominican Republic. What a waste (40mins) of time. Even Cuba has eliminated this problem in 2016, to accelerate the pace.
My other issue was that my priority check-in was not respected returning from Cuba last time. I was told by the representative that it really didn't matter in Cuba. To top it off, I wrote three times within two weeks & no one responded. So much for customer satisfaction on your part.

2  Thank mikebeaudry