“Monarched AND Tapped!”
Review of TAP Portugal

Reviewed October 18, 2017

Having lost my direct Monarch flight I felt fortunate to find another with TAP even though it took nearly twice as long by connecting at Lisbon. I similarly felt fortunate when on board the plane as decent food and drink arrived and were served efficiently - a little expensive as the flight had cost me £180 more than the Monarch flight but needs must.... Arrival in Lisbon also good with no problems moving around the airport/through security again. Then it all went pear shaped!!! Strong winds in Madeira were affecting flight availability and while I have no argument with the safety concerns which led to the delay and eventual cancellation of my flight I was distinctly unimpressed with the service support offered to passengers.
My flight was due to leave at nearly midnight so we were called to the gate at the usual point in advance and asked to stay there although delay announcements were being made every 15-20 minutes. At 00.30 these stopped but there was no announcement of cancellation either verbally or on the display. Various individual passengers sought information from the staff who were still at the gate and were spoken to individually - what a stupid way of handling things. The result was that when the cancellation was finally confirmed all of the local hotels were fully booked and TAP had none on retainer so simply told passengers to make their own arrangements and submit receipts for an allowance of E60 pppn - bad enough if you are in a couple or party but completely useless if travelling solo as I was. There was also no indication of when we should return so I ended up dozing in a chair by the gate overnight and, after much queueing for information and 'focussed discussion' got a flight to Funchal at 4pm on day 2 of my journey. I got a voucher for E10 when they found me a space at 10am on day 2 but had not been offered a drink, food or a blanket overnight. As someone who lives with extensive arthritis I was in a lot of pain but nobody was checking passenger welfare. Imagine my horror when I discovered that some of the passengers waiting around had been there for 48hours!!! With just a 7 day break in the offing I was almost ready to come home.
On the way back a member of TAP staff was wandering around passengers at the gate in Lisbon (about 4pm) asking if anyone could travel the following day for the dubious reward of a hotel overnight and E400 - but travelling via London and not direct to Manchester!!!!!
The flight staff were very good, helpful, polite and efficient but the ground staff were tardy opening the information desks, had just one operator to start with, mismanaged the enormous queue of people who were mostly trying to get to Funchal and generally did not help the situation. I did not even try the phone line as talking to several other passengers they had got zero result from doing so except 'we don't know'. Obviously the weather cannot be controlled and safety is paramount but that does not mean that good customer service should not be offered.
I hope that next time I want to travel to Madeira someone else will have taken over the Monarch route!!

• Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
3  Thank dianer0berts
Write a ReviewReviews (12,262)

Reviewed October 18, 2017

The check in and seating was ok. But the inflight service was terrible. On the Paris Lisbon sector they only served a small snack and drinks with the minuscule snack like a joke.On the Madrid sector they did not offer any drinks supposedly since it was a shorter flight. Not a great airline.

• Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
1  Thank royann2017
Reviewed October 17, 2017

I will start with the positives. The outward flight from Manchester to Lisbon went without incident. The in-flight snack could have been a lot better but not lets be too picky !. Now for the negatives. The 11.30 am. return flight from Porto to Lisbon was delayed for over an hour. No explanation was given so we all assumed it was because of the sea mist that had been around earlier. This time the on-board snack was a "Magnum choc-ice" !. Now it must be said that I am a lover of Magnums - but not at mid-day when your last meal had been breakfast before 6 am. We then landed at Lisbon to find that the connecting 14.20 flight to Manchester was now delayed another two hours. Again no explanation. We finally arrived at Manchester only to find one of our nearly new matching Wenger Swissgear suitcases came off the Baggage Reclaim Carousel wrapped in cling-film. On closer inspection the zips had been totally torn apart and if it had not been for my safety luggage strap around the center of the case I hate to think where the contents would have ended up. We then had to go through the Damaged Luggage Report procedure which meant further delay. In all fairness we were offered a replacement suitcase by Global Solutions a week later but it was black plastic and as we wanted the replacement to be the same as the one irreparably damaged, we declined and asked for a cash settlement in order that we could replace it ourselves. For this to happen we had to make a claim to TAP Portugal which we did on-line and got a Email reply to say that our contact had been Registered. That was over a month ago during which time I have sat on the end of the phone listening to music from their Customer Service Center on numerous occasions only to have the call terminated after about 30 minutes without reply. On one occasion my call somehow got transferred to Portugal which has cost me over £6 in call charges. I have sent several on-line Complaint Forms which tell you that they have sent an Email confirmation but it never arrives. When you try their on-line Complaint Progress Check all it tells you is that they have tried to get in touch but failed. To say that I am one very very frustrated (and out of pocket) customer is an understatement. NEVER EVER AGAIN will I consider TAP Portugal.

3  Thank Richard C
Reviewed October 16, 2017 via mobile

Flight TP477 last Sunday it was late 40 minutes due late arrival but the captain apologized for the delayed and explained what happened and we did arrive in Lisbon in time.
The crew was very friendly and nice, we had snacks and drinks inflight. The rest of the flight was smooth and very nice.
The only thing that is not so nice is in Lisbon airport landing we have to go by bus to the arrival terminal.

1  Thank lauravicsantos
Reviewed October 16, 2017

Had a lovely flight by TAP from Manchester to Lisbon. Took about 2 and a half hours. Walked a long way yesterday - why does one have to walk so far in Airports nowadays - is it because they are so busy? Plenty of leg room, something to eat & drink.

1  Thank BrianB321