“TAP Miami to Venice”
Review of TAP Portugal

Reviewed December 15, 2017

Despite our reservations with paid seat selection, my husband and I received boarding passes that left us seated apart. I had my original reservation print out with seat selection confirmation (paid for) so the flight attendant moved us to a 2-seat area. It was unnerving until the seating problem was resolved. The legroom was tight but the seat recline worked, thankfully, on the intercontinental flight. Poor service; lack of water offered during the flight. I'm used to most airlines having attendants walk the aisles at night with bottles of water at periodic and frequent intervals. Our connecting flight in Europe had no gate assignment until 60 minutes prior to takeoff--that had a lot of us wondering why because in Lisbon they have a multitude of gates and it could have been a mad rush. The final continental flight was on an aircraft with seats that did not move. I felt so trapped and closed-in. The seat back distance felt much closer than on the transatlantic flight.

1  Thank Nancy N
Write a ReviewReviews (13,042)

Reviewed December 14, 2017

The airline cancelled a flight that stranded my son on his trip home for Christmas. Maybe the yield was low, maybe there was a mechanical, maybe the couldn't find a pilot. But it wasn't weather. With literally hundreds of other airline seats available that would get my son home, they were literally inhuman. "Why can't he take this flight home?" "Not available." But wait, it is available. I'd say you get what you pay for with an airline like this. But actually you don't. Worst travel experience ever, and I have been in emergency landings, 10 hour delays in some of the less appealing airports you could name. Nothing prepared me for this.

1  Thank westchester2015
Reviewed December 14, 2017

TAP is currently the worst option to travel to or from Portugal. Despite being a flag company, it shames Portugal and the Portuguese. From complicated reservations, to the difficulty of contact (via email or telephone), to boarding, everything is chaotic and third-worldly.
On my last trip (Lisbon-New York) the old and dirty boarding bus, after full, was open for more than 20 minutes, forcing to breathe the exhaust gases that entered it.
Although traveling on business, the service on board is minimal.
But the "icing on the cake" was the "lounge" at JFK airport. TAP places passengers in a room with a dozen seats and 3 or 4 tables where they can consume 10 USD. Exhausted this amount, have to pay (at the airport prices).
Finally, still on the returning flight, an business class breakfast that includes 1 yogurt, one bread, butter and jam.
To foreigners traveling at TAP I assure you that Portugal and the Portuguese are much better than our airline!
I sincerely hope that the name of Portugal will be quickly removed from the name of this very poor company.

1  Thank cristovao
Reviewed December 13, 2017 via mobile

I was flying from the Azores to London and had a layover in Lisbon. The Azores are on a different time zone than Lisbon, and my phone didn't pick up the change, so I ended up missing my flight to London. TAP put me on the next flight for no cost and my checked bag will go on this new flight. Bless you for being easy and simple.

Reviewed December 12, 2017

I travel regularly out of Lisbon generally in business class where available. Even happy to use budget airlines! This is the first time I have flown TAP, sadly I have to return to Lisbon on TAP, if I could transfer to Lufthansa I would. Ryanair, Transavia or EasyJet would have been a better option and value! My complaint to TAP - Today December 4th I have boarded TP552, LIS-MUC. Despite sending them all the details regarding my mobility scooter in advance and having several conversations regarding it I find myself with problems at Lisbon airport. It appears that TAP make life as difficult as possible for a disabled passenger causing unnecessary stress. With all other airlines I can travel with independence taking my scooter to the gate with me. As a regular traveller using many different airlines on a regular basis, including budget airlines, out of Lisbon I have always been able to use my mobility scooter through security, passport control and direct to the business lounge then on to the gate. It is no bigger than a baby buggy and folds flat just like a buggy! Today I had to wait almost 15 mins at check in for a MYWAY wheelchair to be brought. Then go with him to the out of gauge baggage riding my scooter to drop it off. I am then taken to the executive lounge without a chance to stop at any of the shops. On board I am approached by the dispatcher saying my battery needs to be removed from my scooter and I need to carry it with me! As the battery is key operated (the key removed and carried on my person) and secured in the scooter by a lock this is not necessary (ref IATA regulations 965-II /966/967) I carry the iata regulations with me and the certification that the battery is safe for travel at all times. The dispatcher goes away and eventually returns saying that this will no longer be necessary. Being told that this is a new procedure with the airline does not leave me with a lot of confidence as it is just an excuse for being uninformed. Seat - no different from economy. Uncomfortable - does not recline, only difference is the middle seat is left free. Food - who on earth serves roast beef for breakfast with a 07.55 departure? All this and at a premium price.

1  Thank 1946Siobhan