“Poor customer service in booking but great staff in flight”
Review of TAP Portugal

Reviewed December 17, 2017

Even though Tap is a respected airline there are a couple of things that would make me not want to travel with them again......they wanted $70 for a check in bag but then when I checked in online thirty six hours before our flight we were told that our first bag is free!!......many people we spoke to later had already paid the $70.....we were told that there would be no meals on board and to their credit two meals were served......I booked two seats for each of the long flights (a total of 4 seats) in what I thought was extra leg room seats.....they then changed the plane that we were going to fly on.....I was told that the seats I had chosen did not have extra leg room and so on the plane they changed to I would not have extra leg room seats......I then asked for my money back for the seats and they refused.....so I paid an extra 30 Euros to get the emergency row seats on the long return flight only......I was told by the TAP rep that when I check in for our first flight from Toronto to Lisbon that if I did it as soon as the online check in opened that we would be assigned the best seats available......I did the online check in at exactly 36hrs before our flight.....our designated seats could not have been worst....they were at the back of the plane in seats that do not recline....I am tall....I was forced to call again and pay $89 Canadian for ordinary seats that at least reclined......this was not a good way to do business by TAP and it has taken away our desire to fly with them again.....when I contacted them about the above they played dumb!

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (10,393)

Reviewed December 16, 2017

My wife flew from Brisbane to Lisbon with the last leg from Venice. Although her bag was checked right through to Lisbon, it did not get there. Apparently it was left in Venice. She filed a report and, for the next five days, made repeated phone calls about her luggage. Promises were made but never kept. Finally, the bag arrive.

She submitted a complaint and a request for compensation. This consisted of out-of-pocket expenses (109 Eur) for clothes such as underwear, plus 100 EUR/day for stress, inconvenience and hardship. The total is well under the total allowed of over 1350 EUR under the Montreal Convention.

Multiple phone calls and emails went back and forth, with TAP refusing to reveal how much compensation they would provide. Finally, four months later, she got a travel voucher for 250 EUR; this included a 25% loading for accepting a travel voucher instead of cash. That is, they thought her claim was actually worth a mere 200 EUR.

TAP are a disgrace to the airline industry. Five days to get a bag from Venice to Lisbon, four months to pay compensation, refusing to reveal what they would pay, and a pitiful amount provided.

Words cannot express my disgust with TAP.

4  Thank ron d
Reviewed December 16, 2017 via mobile

Transfer time >3 hours but you can't use the lounge because they are refurbishing than the replacement lounge doesn't let you in for some unexplainable reason other than we are not TAP gold members ( who wants to be??) Worse flying experience ever.

3  Thank altocumulus
Reviewed December 16, 2017

My wife and I were excited to be going to Spain. We get to Logan, start to check in and right away are informed that we are only allowed a carry on bag and our checked luggage will be $90 per bag one way. YUP $180 to get there but only $75 per bag on way back if we paid at Logan. YES $330 surcharge for luggabe before we even board. They said we need to read the fine print when booking. THERE WERE FOUR OTHER PARTIES WITH SAME ISSUE AND AT LEAST ONE HAD BOOKED THRU A TRAVEL AGENT!!!! The TPA Staff at check -in counter claimed this was a common problem as they just recently added an economy fare which did not include luggage and was designed for European bussiness man. WELL IF IT IS SO COMMON OF A PROBLEM THEN FIX IT. If you ask me they like the problem tourists book the flight thru websites, agents etc...TPA blames the websites, adds the fees and gets the business. Between the Travel Websites WE used CHEAPO-AIR) and TPA SOMEBODY IS LUAGHING ALL THE WAY TO THE BANK AND IS GUILTY OF FALSE/MISLEADING ADVERTISING.
I will say service on the flight and travel was good. Thank God Seville and it's people were so fun so that we still had a great vacation.

2  Thank 992edo
Reviewed December 16, 2017

I ended up using Tap Airlines to fly from Lisbon to Barcelona as I waited too long and couldn't get a reasonably priced one way ticket from Toronto to Barcelona.

The only annoying thing that happened on this flight was the gate was changed from Gate 22 to 7 close to when the plane was supposed to board and it was a long walk to get there. My friend uses a cane so this was a challenge. The staff at Gate 22 were also not willing to confirm where the gate was going to be. The staff at Gate 7 were actually pleasant and let myself and my friend board early.

The A320 airline configuration is good as it is not as tight as some other configurations. The aisle is large enough for me to roll my 14" case on the floor to get to my seat. The seats were comfortable. Since this was an early morning flight they gave us a meat sandwich (roll) and yummy custard tart. We found the 2 hour flight passed by very quickly. The airplane did not have any in-flight entertainment but it was a short flight. Hence the flight was better than we expected.