“Stay away”
Review of TAP Portugal

Reviewed January 16, 2018 via mobile

If possible stay away from the airlines.

Pros:
Direct flight to OPO (Porto) and Lisbon from Newark
They serve multiple meals and offer free wine and beer

Cons:
1. They charge you for breathing their air! 90$ one way for each bag. 40$ for seat selection. It's just ridiculous.
2. Seats are really narrow so expect being pushed around by the person sitting next to you.
3. Entertainment system doesn't work. Even if it works, the screen size is too small for it to be meaningful. Selection is horrible. The system is simply outdated.
4. They are not at all transparent about their pricing policy. I had no idea I'd have to pay so much more for luggage and seats while booking the flight.

• Seat comfort
    • Customer service (e.g. attitude, care, helpfulness)
    • Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
4  Thank Girish D
Write a ReviewReviews (10,901)

Reviewed January 16, 2018

on of the best i ever flown ,most impressed the customer service and the help with the connecting flights

• Food and Beverage
    • Value for money
    • Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
1  Thank sibilvey
Reviewed January 15, 2018

Excellent service, from check in to landing, In flight service was brilliant, you get complementary snack and hot drink and cold drink, we have no complaints, we have already recommended TAP portugal to family and friends and will be flying ourselves with them again soon.

• Food and Beverage
    • Legroom
    • In-flight entertainment (WiFi, TV, films)
1  Thank martin n
Reviewed January 15, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I recently traveled to Morocco and had used frequent flyer points for the trip. We booked the trip nearly a year ago and had to make changes up to the 11th hour due to weather conditions on our outbound flights. The ONLY reason TAP Portugal Airlines is getting anything other than a “1” is due to their assistance with initial seating assignments and the fact that they served wine on our flight to London.

We were scheduled to depart on a Friday late morning from Marrakech Airport and would have had ample time to check in prior to our flight, but due to a train wreck that delayed our train train trip from Tangier back to Marrakech, we were delayed 90 minutes with no capability of communicating with the airline to alert them of our delay. This delay affected not just us, but about 75 other travelers heading to Marrakech Airport for other flights.

We anticipated that we might not make the flight but expected TAP Portugal to help us by rebooking us on their next flight but when we saw our flight had been delayed by over an hour, we thought we might make the original flight and make our connections as well.

When we attempted to check in, we found the main counter closed and were redirected to the TAP Portugal Customer Service Office in the main terminal. When my wife and I explained the situation to the agent, she said “That’s not our problem” and refused to assist us except to force us to buy another ticket which would have cost nearly $1000.00 USD each.

We pressed her for help and demanded to speak to a supervisor whereby she gave us a foreign number to call which did us no good. After 10 precious minutes of arguing with her, she relented and called a Swissport Supervisor (I’m guessing Swissport probably owns TAP Portugal) and were directed to an office on the mezzanine of the airport.

After dragging all of our luggage up the flight of stairs (no lift), we met with a female supervisor and then her manager who understood our story and allowed us to check in and board our flight which ended up being 90 minutes delayed on its own so what was the deal?

The connecting flight was also 2 hours delayed so while we thought we would have a really tight connection in Lisbon, we actually had time for dinner and a drink to settle is down.

TAP Portugal is a rotten airline as far as onsite customer service and while we would have understood if there might be some additional cost involved if we had missed the flight completely, the circumstances were beyond our control and it wouldn’t have taken a lot for the original agent to hear us out and act concerned for our safety.

She probably thought we were late because “tourists“ don’t think the rules apply to them and she wanted to teach us a lesson.

Bad move on her part....

1  Thank Jerry B
Reviewed January 15, 2018

My husband, 2 teens and myself flew Tap to Lisbon June 2017. We booked far in advance, and paid just under $700 r/t. Unfortunately, the times of the flights changed months after we booked, but that happens with lots of airlines. (I have had it happen to me at least 4-5 times in the past. It's one of the downfalls to booking many months ahead).

I had to call the airlines 800 number a couple of times regarding our seat assignment. First to get our seats, then to change our seats back to the 2 seaters on the side of the plane. (They had changed equipment, and our seats ended up getting moved to the 4 center seats). The customer service people switched them for us no problem.

Flights were on time. We got pillows, blankets and earbuds. There was plenty of entertainment, food and free wine!

Flight attendants were nice and our bags arrived with no problems.

If I were flying to Portugal again, I wouldn't hesitate to book TAP.

1  Thank MofromMass