“United comes to the rescue”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed August 14, 2017

Taking a journey with my grandson we were not anxious to wait 7 hours for a scheduled layover in Vienna. Lufthansa had an earlier flight and with approval from United we were told we could go on an earlier flight which would save us five hours!!! United came through and approved the change for an earlier flight and we were off for our final leg of our 15 hour journey. Thank you United for helping us get to our hotel by 6 pm instead of 11 pm in a foreign city.

Date of travel: August 2017
Write a reviewReviews (50,740)

Reviewed August 14, 2017

United do not appear to be too big on apologizing for keeping passengers waiting for delayed flights. This flight was due to leave at 20.05 and we finally left the stand at around 21.25 and took off about 20 minutes later. When we enquired at the United desk about how long the delay might be we were dealt with by one of the most unhelpful people I have ever come across. There is very little point in having staff on the front line dealing with dissatisfied customers if their point of reference is just to be rude and unhelpful. The flight itself was uneventful but inevitably landed late.

• Food and Beverage
    • Check-in and boarding
Reviewed August 14, 2017 via mobile

I buyed a business class ticket from cleveland to Newark and after few days Newark roma ! THEy don t allowed me to enter in the lounge ! Incredibile last time with united !

Reviewed August 13, 2017 via mobile

So we've flown to San Francisco twice in about the last 8 months. Both trios were nightmares. First time flight was delayed due to weather in our hometown. They told us we could drive two hours to catch a flight they could get us that would get us to Seattle than down to Frisco. We got to spokane and the flight arriving from Seattle to take us back was delayed leaving Seattle. Witch in turn had we gotten on that flight to go back we would miss our connection to San Francisco. Next choice was to fly to Salt Lake City and catch a flight to San Francisco, which again our connecting flight was delayed getting there. We were supposed to wait 3 hours for that flight. We ended up waiting 8 hours in that airport with a 5 month old baby. Of course she was not easy to keep calm for the majority of the time and we finally ended up getting there around midnight. Mind you we should have been there by 4:30 originally.

Then coming back they cancelled our flight when we went to check in to fly back. It was first delayed which they warned us about. The cancellation was dropped on us after we returned our rental car and had gone through all the checkpoints to check our bags. We asked why it was cancelled and it was flight crew rest. I get that. So we asked what should we do next? She said there is a list out by the shuttles that takes you to different hotels out front and we could pick from there. They didn't offer to help at all in our search. Now we are stuck paying $200 dollars for a hotel room, extra meals, and transportation. All very rude here and each attendants station. Now we are having to miss work which again is money lost. Not like it grows on trees for us. I tried calling their customer service and was told the "department" that handles these calls would have to be left a message and they might return our call. Which they didn't. That was the worst part.

Here we are now current time getting all packed up and getting rides to the airport for them to tell us our flight was delayed AGAIN!! So here we are sitting in the airport for 3 extra hours and we finally get to go. No warning this time on the delay through the app or text messages. We finally get there and get our rental car and then drive two hours to our destination.

The day we fly out we drive two hours to the airport and again just to find out our flight was delayed. No notice again. We go to check in and they didn't have our baby ticket ready when we got there. They had it in the flight originally when we arrived. So we check our bags and some lady tells us, "you have to talk to that person over there by all the kiosks". We do and she says, "no you had to go to this other counter over here and they can add her." We wait in line and get to the counter only to hear, "you have to go talk this person over here". First person we started with. She again says no you need to talk to a different person altogether. I replied by telling her she was the 4th person to redirect us. I said no, we won't go over there and asked for a manager. The manager got us setup finally. We had checked one bag and our child's car seat. Finally get on the plane and fly home. Get a notice one of our bags didn't make it. The front desk response is I'm so sorry there isn't much we can do in these situations. So my response was "You expect me to walk my 1 yr old daughter back home from the airport that is at least a 30 minute dive on the highway?" The Temperature at this time is 90 degrees out. Then if some thing happens to my daughter, like an emergency, I should just run her to the hospital. Finally someone from a different airlines hears what's going on. They pipe in and apologize for all the trouble and understand where we are coming from. They finally get us a car seat that we can have to hold us over until we get ours back. United tried to offer no solutions to us whatsoever. Like they didn't even care about the safety of my child. They could have rented one for us from the car rental places. Long story short I would never fly them again and would never recommend them to someone in the future. I'm not sure how they can do business like this showing little care for their customers and their customers safety.

Reviewed August 13, 2017 via mobile

It's sad when friends immediately offer their condolences when they hear you're flying United. We have flown many times using United as we lived as expats in Costa Rica and traveled to and from the US for visits. Unfortunately United service has been in a tailspin (so to speak) that even all the pressure and bad press have still failed help them pull out of. Our past experiences have included staff refusing to give water to us for our thirsty children due to "potential shortages". Repeatedly running out of ALL meals before servicing the back 25% of the plane, offering chips and popcorn as a substitute breakfast. Putting up our family of 5 in a 1 bed hotel after messing up our connection (hotel almost refused us saying it was a fire code violation). Staff that is rude and impatient with us and our children. Sadly the list probably is longer than you want to read. I'm not trying to vent, just to suggest, if you are considering "flying the friendly skies", might have a friendlier more comfortable experience with somebody else.