“Ohare to Cancun on United”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed February 20, 2018

We just took a trip from Chicago to Cancun roundtrip. The United crew both ways were very nice and accommodating. We ungraded both legs of the flight to Economy Plus at a cost of $39 per. It was definitely worth it for a longer flight. We were in the front of economy both ways so tons of legroom. The only drawback; those seats don't have armrests that raise so it's a bit snug. Seems like airlines and flights can be hit or miss lately. This was one of the good ones.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (35,380)

Reviewed February 20, 2018

Flew B777 from SFO to Lihue, Hawaii. The aircraft looked almost brand new. We did not have IFE but instead had a slot where you could put your own device such as smart phone and iPad for your own entertainment. It was quite bumpy and turbulent towards last one hour of the flight due to tropical storm system that was passing east of Hawaii. Overall was a comfortable flight.

Reviewed February 20, 2018

Flew R/T from Newark to Honolulu in Economy Plus. Flight outbound on time - return flight arrived early.
Legroom good. Economy Plus is worth the extra charge for this long flight. I like the 2-3-2 seating in this 767 aircraft. Vinyl-covered seats are hard, especially for a flight this long..
Nice entertainment system with good movie selection.
No complimentary meals in Economy on this "domestic" (but 11 hour) flight. They do have hot-food-for-purchase which was ok (chicken/cheese wrap, deep dish pizza).
Good, professional flight attendants. They made one food-for-sale run, plus several beverage runs - they were cordial when I went back to the galley to get more juice.
I've had two issues with United which I attribute to their IT department - a month prior to the flight I noticed they had reassigned me to undesirable (center section) regular economy seats, even though I had selected and paid for Economy Plus. The call center said this was due to a schedule update. Really? I don't think it's acceptable that they lost a record of my paid service AND put me in undesirable seats. (The aircraft changed from a 767-3 to a 767-4, but these planes are so similar they should have been able to transfer the seat assignments). To Customer's Service's credit, they were able to reassign me to (close to) my original seats pretty quickly.
New IT issue - the mobile app shows I've accrued credit for a free visit to a United lounge. The app says they emailed me the passes, but the email address they used has a typo (so of course, i didn't receive the passes). How does an automated system generate an email address with typo's? Another issue to fix, United!

Date of travel: January 2018
Reviewed February 20, 2018

Despite some bad publicity in the past, we've always found United to be fairly dependable and since Newark is a hub, usually few late departures or arrivals. What we find disappointing is in traveling often between Newark and Las Vegas, the lack of larger planes for such a long flight and the lack of the much better First Class seats. e.g. the ones that recline and have all personal tech at the seat. I've flown these to Chicago and have always been surprised that they are not available to Vegas. I would buy or upgrade to First Class to and from Vegas if such were available. But the very basic seats available, simply a bit wider and just two in each row simply doesn't cut it. And the meals alone aren't worth the upgrade or extra cost. So we just fly Economy Plus for the extra legroom and buy the priority to get on with Group 2.

Reviewed February 20, 2018

We had lots of trouble checking in for this flight. It was a codeshare with Air Canada and for some reason never fully explained that resulted in a "We have no reservation for you" when we arrived for the flight. Time consuming chaos ensued.