“Sometimes fantastic, sometimes not”
Review of United Airlines

Reviewed February 22, 2018

This time flying my round trip to Aruba from Newark Liberty was a piece of cake on United. Left on time for both flights. Flights were smooth and the captains always kept us abreast of what was going on. Service was fine. Food, even in First Class, still needs to be improved. One thing I don't understand is why any flight over 4 hours does not have an entertainment screen on the back of the seat in front of us. I understand everyone seems to have electronic devices to watch/listen to whatever on the United app, but sometimes you just want the convenience of having it right in front of you. No big deal though. I'm all about the safety of the aircraft and how the crew treats their passengers. There are some flight attendants on United that are the best of the best. Others, cannot give you the time of day and show it. If you don't like being a flight attendant, why do it? A little courtesy is all we ask.

United is always my first choice for flying. Maybe because I was a dedicated Continental flier (boy, I miss them), or probably because they have the biggest selection of flights and times out of Newark Liberty.

I'm also hoping they revise their current boarding procedure. How I miss the days when they would board the back of the plane first, then move up row by row. Doesn't that make sense boarding back to front? I think having boarding Groups 1 - 5 is a way of showing who has paid the cheapest tickets and who has paid the most for a ticket. Is that fair? Not in my book.

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (35,403)

Reviewed February 22, 2018

United is my go to airline when traveling in the USA. I like that I earn miles for every trip. I wish that on a long flight such as this one we received more than one drink & a small bag of pretzels. As a mileage plus member I receive complimentary admission to United Airlines lounge. I have never been able to use this - at Newark Airport it's only for premium members & when I've tried it in other places such as Amsterdam they won't honor it. This "benefit" I feel is useless.

Reviewed February 22, 2018

Most airlines have the following capability: selection of audio songs/albums for a playlist, push play, go to sleep for few hours with the music on. That is very convenient for me and I didn't find audio music at all on United Inflight entertainment transatlantic flights, this flight is not the only one with the same lack of music. I found some 1hr VEVO Videos collection, but it's really small and too short anyway. There's no option to make a playlist of those anyway.
Also during this flight the entertainment system had to be restarted by the air crew because of some malfunction.
It was a brand new Dreamliner 787, and those kind of malfunctions/options available I wouldn't expect, especially when available on other airlines. Also no headphones were given, luckily I had my own.
The rest was ok, except for annoying old lady and a crying baby, but what can you do about that :)

Reviewed February 22, 2018

We made reservations several months in advance for flights to Argentina. A month before our trip I got an email saying our originating flight out of Columbus was cancelled and we had been booked on another flight. The new flight only allowed 1 hour to catch our connecting international flight! Not acceptable. So I made the only change I could which put us in Newark, NJ for a 7 hour layover.

Date of travel: January 2018
Reviewed February 22, 2018

The timing of this flight was pretty favorable, you catch the flight at 6:30 PM in Dulles and after a 7 hour journey reach Amsterdam at 8 AM. This gives you plenty of time to visit the city and other activities. The plane is a Boeing 767, and being a United 1K member, I was allowed to choose economy plus seating. The exit row seating in the middle rows have the most leg room of any flight, I have taken. There is ample space to stretch your legs. It is better option than business class. I got a very good price for the flight, food was not bad, beer and wine were complementary and service was pretty good. I am glad I took this flight option to Amsterdam, in addition to being a direct flight. I had a whole day to myself, for visiting Amsterdam for the long weekend. For comparable class of service, United Airlines has the best customer, efficiency and fare value. Remember, United is a big Airline, if a plane encounters technical problems, United can easily replace the plane within hours, without cancelling the whole flight. Or, make easy connections for you. This is a luxury only big US based airline companies can offer.