“"The ONLY way to fly!"”
Review of Virgin Atlantic Airways

Reviewed April 4, 2018

Direct flight, left at 5:30pm, on time. Aircraft was a 787 Dreamliner and it was terrific! Beautifully appointed, smoothest flight round trip I've experienced, and I've flown on many transpacific and transatlantic flights. Service in the Premium Economy was worth every penny: more leg room, wider seats and not packed in, very nice meals and drinks included, plus wine with dinner; excellent flight attendants, nice amenities in the flight bag you receive, ample room in the restrooms, excellent selection of movies, games and flight monitoring system, first bag is free at check-in. I was not bored, and felt good disembarking. Only con is that it snowed before the return flight from London, and our plane had to wait in line to get de-iced, a 3 hour delay. This was not Virgin Atlantic's fault, and they served drinks while waiting, I also watched a movie, so it really wasn't too bad. The cost was only $640.00 round trip, for economy. The upgrade made it about $800.00! We thought this was a great deal for the excellent direct flight and service. On-line payment and seat selection was easy, and they send good emails as a heads up for printing your boarding pass on line. This was the first time I flew on a 787 Dream Liner and I feel it's the best aircraft I've experienced. A beautiful plane. I highly recommend Virgin Atlantic!

• Check-in and Boarding (e.g. efficiency, service at gate)
Write a ReviewReviews (9,706)

Reviewed April 4, 2018

Flew economy from SFO to London on March 15. The check in was very easy and quick. Also, the Boarding was very well organised. The in flight entertainment system was adequate. The movie and TV show choices were good and quite latest, but the entertainment system itself seemed a little outdated technology, as it was not touch screen and had to use the remote to make any selections. Food was decent. The temperature in the Flight seems a little warm during the night.

The return Flight from London to SFO on March 31, we upgraded to Premium Economy, by paying almost $400 per person, but it was totally worth it as the seats were very comfortable. Much broader seats which you could recline (almost like a lounge seat in the movie theater). The issue with the in-flight entertainment system was the same, as in not touch screen, but good selection of movies. Food was plenty and much better than economy. One could feel the comfort and luxury of similar standards of a Business class in Domestic Flights.

1  Thank Radhika V
Reviewed April 4, 2018

Flew LHR - MIA on an ageing Airbus. Flew back Orlando MCO - LGW on an ageing 747. The ageing 747 wins hands-down.
I've been flying VA since it's inception and they are always my first choice. Of late I have noticed some slippage (possibly since partnership with Delta). A lot of the nice touches have gone (amenity bags etc), and some of the staff are not as customer friendly as in the past.
Some of the changes to their offerings are begining to blur the lines between the tickets e.g. Economy v Premium.
Still my first choice, but as the pilots often say, "we know you have a choice". They shouldn't forget that.

1  Thank gerryld
Reviewed April 4, 2018

We entered the airport not to the usual chaos and ques but to the...V Lounge
Free drinks, free breakfast as much as me and my spledid wife sarah-jane coukd eat
I was blown away by the fantastic friendly staff. What a difference a little bit of luxury and attention to detail make . We boarded the plane nice comfy seats quite a lot of room a good selection of films including Debbie does Dallas . The captain was not at all the usual upper class twit but a really down to earth and sometimes very witty and funny as his voice came over the speaker system , in the air now and i was quite surprised the food and wine was completely free and loads of it as well as bery yummy . We had a smooth journey and great flight ...felt very safe indeed . Its the first time we have flown virgin atlantic but from now on we wont be flying anything else ever again ..
By the way i was joking about Debbie does Dallas . Top marks Mr Branson

1  Thank stephen j
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Very cramped night flight 10 hours.
My fiance had a seat reclined infront of him seconds after being in the air and there it remained wether he was eating or not. After food the one infront of me went down so hard and fast in recline it threw my red wine down my pale blue hoodie .!!!  I know people need to recline seats on a night flight  but my tv screen was about 7 inches from my face. Too cramped. Economy expected right but this is ridiculous... longer flights need more room that's common sense. Had more room on  easy jet flights from Gatwick to Zurich. Very poor this time. Food inedible. Mouldy black cheese for the SECOND time with Virgin. This used to be such a reputable admired airline company. What ever now. We were saving airmiles to upgrade but looking at the other reviews we won't bother. We'll fly with Tui and BA in future.

Got a nasty Stinking cold within 36 hours of being off the plane. It was dirty. Yuck. I'm sat up it's 1.31am and I have to get up for work in a few hours instead I'm running  temperature and coughing and sneezing.  Wonderful after a relaxing holiday !!! :-/

2  Thank rebel_riot