“Flight cancellation - appalling customer journey”
Review of Vueling Airlines

Reviewed December 13, 2017

I wouldn’t ordinarily write a review to complain about a poor customer experience, but I feel my experience is justifiable in this instance.
I was meant to be on a flight on the 19th September flying from Amsterdam to London Luton, whilst waiting at the boarding gate, the gate suddenly changed from ‘boarding delayed’ to ‘gate closed’. There was no announcement made as to why the flight was cancelled, nor was there anyone from Vueling Airlines to advise what this meant and what we needed to do next. This was the first time I had ever been on a flight that has been cancelled, so a little advice would have been appreciated.
After obtaining some advice from someone who worked in the airport (not a Vueling employee), we were advised what to do. I then passed this information onto the rest of the passengers sitting at the boarding gate still. During this time, I received an email from Vueling which was very reassuring and advised me to click a link to access my new flight details. Unsurprisingly the link didn’t work and no flight details appeared, at this point I thought ‘what customer communication programme does this company employ’ and more importantly ‘who approves this customer journey and deems it to be efficient’? Vueling state that efficiency is part of their DNA, from reading this I think they can now deem it’s NOT!
The employees at the Vueling airline desk had no information to provide the passengers as to why their flight was cancelled, I actually felt sorry for them as it was clear they were left to deal with something they had little knowledge about. We were provided our flight information (at least) which happened to be the next day and were advised we would need to come back to the airport then. So that resulted in me having to find accommodation to stay overnight, additional transfer costs and a telephone call to work to advise that I wouldn’t be back in the office when planned.
Based on my customer experience so far, I shouldn’t have expected much from your complaints and compensation process but I did. At the start it was really easy and your customer service team were extremely efficient, after submitting the required information I received an email on the 23rd October advising me that I will receive a transfer in the next couple of days. After not receiving my compensation I contacted the Vueling customer services team to query and they confirmed all transfers can take up to 28 days. Once again, your operational comms letters are incorrect, why advise this information when it’s not true?
After waiting 28 days I contacted Vueling customer services again and was advised that something was wrong with my complaint and I needed to submit some further information. I questioned why someone at Vueling didn’t contact me to discuss this and why I am hearing about it for the first time now and quiet honestly that agent couldn’t answer my question but could only apologies for their mistake. I provided all the relevant information and am now phoning the complaints handling team on a weekly basis to receive my refund as I have lost all trust in this process.
I feel on my behalf I have had to make a lot of effort for a mistake that I haven’t caused. And I’m quite shocked that you deem your customer journey and operational communications fit for purpose!

• Food and Beverage
1  Thank Jen2898
Write a ReviewReviews (14,541)

Reviewed December 13, 2017 via mobile

I’m a frequent flyer sometimes 3 times per week, I hate flying with these. The reason being, the leg room. There isn’t any. I’m 6ft and even though most flights my leg room is snug, with these I can’t sit without my knees forcefully touching the seat in front. It’s a very uncomfortable flight for me, so I wouldn’t recommend it to anyone tall.

Reviewed December 13, 2017

I took a flight between Santiago de Compostela to Barcelona. The check-in process was ok but the boarding was a bit chaotic as they had multiple flights boarding at the same time, at the same gate... and that created confusion.

Otherwise, everything else was average. From legroom to service. My large backpack (carry-on) fit in the overhead compartment just fine, even thought the plane was small.

1  Thank Anikabella
Reviewed December 12, 2017

Flew with this budget airline out to Florence.

Seat space is tiny even for economy. If you are anything but small you will not have a lot of room. Also notice the plane was not even cleaned before we got on, dirty tissues on the floor and crumbs on the seat opposite me.

We were towards the very back of the airplane and on the way out the meal service did not even get tree quarters way down the plane before they ran out of time (2hr plus flight) and thus we never got any refreshments. The toilets ate back of the plane were broken from the start and were out of action, which meant you could only use the ones in the front. However as the flight attendants took the whole flight to come down the plane it meant we could not get passed them and use them.

On the return flight to London from Florence, we were towards the head of the queue to check in and 45 mins passed check in time no one had turned up to check the passengers in. Finally one guy turns up and tells us we were not flying from Florence because of bad weather, instead they were bussing us to Bologna (1hr 10 mins away) and flying out later (3.5 hrs later). This then turned into chaos where the lines went out of the window to try and check the bags, even though they then gave them back to us and told us to take them with us to the other airport.

We then had to wait for nearly two hours before the busses were ready and no one knew what was going on, and whether to get food or stay in the lobby and listen to the tannoy. Finally bussed tired to Bologna, and again another chaos situation where everyone was trying to go through departures before turned away and told to go and queue up for the second time to check our bags in (although we had already done this in Florence) - this should have been a simple bag drop.

I can understand that weather can cause chaos to the airlines and can understand bumping us to a bigger airport - however the total lack of communication to their customers. We ended up nearly 4hrs later rushing through our second airport with no chance of of getting any food.

Poor, poor poor customer service - would not use this Airline again in hurry.

• Food and Beverage
Reviewed December 11, 2017 via mobile

My flight from Paris to Prague was cancelled - it wouldn’t be such an issue, because it happens from time to time.
BUT... The airline didn’t even say the reason why the flight got cancelled. The only thing they told us was that we should stand in the line and ask for more information at the Vueling encounter. There were only two people solving this issue! Some of the people had to go to the other airport and fly to Barcelona (including me), some of them had to sleep over in Paris and fly either to Rome or Vienna. It was disorganized and people who don’t have the experience with this kind of situation were literally lost. I easily looked up the app and checked what flight I was given - but the other people had no clue there was this option. Plus, some people missed their flight to Barcelona because they spent too much time in the line for the encounter.
The next day I finally got to Prague after 28 hours later it was originally scheduled. I got the hotel in Barcelona, meals, and compensation for the cancelled flight (250€). The crew and employees barely speak English and they’re SO confused! They’re not capable of answering simple questions like ‘where can I get the meal voucher?’. This was my first and also last time flying with the low cost airline.