“Good taste chili sauce and sweet smile”
Review of Shenzhen Airlines

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Good things: As mentioned in the topic, good taste chilli sauce and sweet smile.
Not good enough: small seat only fit for normal height people

Date of travel: February 2019

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

OK so firstly the good news. The lounge at Shenzhen airport - King Lounge - was fine, the flight was perfectly smooth, on time, and the airport staff and cabin crew look after you with courtesy and kindness, probably helped by being Business. And the price was very reasonable. Worth mentioning that I had to transit overnight in Shenzhen, I had no visa but I got a 24-hour arrival visa with the help of the airline staff (free, no charge), took a little while because some other passengers also needed one and some paperwork had to be completed, but it all worked in the end. (BTW, was easier and quicker when I transited in Guangzhou a few months earlier, Shenzhen was not quite as well organised). If you transit overnight in Shenzhen, strongly suggest use Hyatt Place/Hyatt House which is linked to the airport; exit customs, follow signs to Ground Transportation Centre and look for Exit 14, walk a short distance then take the lift up one floor to the 3rd floor, then you are right there. Anyway, back to the flight - the business seat was flat bed, area for your feet when flat is a bit narrow (well it was for me), the A330 is a 2-2-2 config in Business and I would strongly suggest taking an aisle seat, the window seats are a bit cramped and narrow when flat. The IFE was very poor for a non-Chinese traveller - five Chinese movies, some Chinese music and hardly anything else. Glad I had a book. Speaking as a non-Chinese who has been travelling on airlines around the world for the past 30+ years, I have to say the food in Business was not great - recommend eat before you fly. And drinks were......well, apple juice, orange juice, water, Chinese tea. Didn't see any sign of alcohol, other than wines which were listed in the menu, but you have to ask for them. And the level of English of the cabin crew was a bit so-so.....they really need to find a better English speaker for the automated in-flight announcements! But they really try hard. In spite of all this, yes, I would fly them again if they keep the price at current levels - and I can always credit mileage to my other Star Alliance programs.

Date of travel: February 2019
2  Thank JohnHongKong
Reviewed February 5, 2019

So I was curious about flying Shenzhen airlines as I had not flown it before and it is a member of the Star Alliance group and it does fly directly to Shenzhen from London. I had a return flight and although I can honestly say that the staff are very friendly and caring, there are a number of things the airline can still do to improve its service.

Yes, a way to go yet to be a superior airline that people would want to make use of…

Some suggestions:

• Get rid of the very irritating-on-automatic-loop-announcement welcoming people on board in Chinese and virtually incomprehensible American English (I know there are many Chinese people who can do a much better job in the pronunciation stakes).
• You may want to include a few other newspapers other than just the Shenzhen Daily which is quite a flimsy paper.
• You may want to offer passengers other alcoholic drinks other than really dreadful white and red wine. How about an aperitif, a G&T or a beer?
• You may also want to serve drinks earlier than you do instead of waiting until people are somewhat desperate.
• For a 13 hour flight you may like to ensure that there are some other language films as part of the entertainment. Although subtitles (in English) were provided on the way over, there were none on the way back. Fortunately a very concerned purser loaned me her iPad so I could see some films in English.
• You may want to have some snacks available in the kitchen area so that passengers can go and help themselves.
• You may want to include Hong Kong on the in-flight map instead of pretending it does not exist – a little silly really when every other city is included – even Macau!

Many thanks, but as it currently operates I will probably fly via Hong Kong with another airline and then take a train to where I need to go.

Date of travel: January 2019
1  Thank CHHLondon
Reviewed February 4, 2019

Even though I only had Economy I paid a little extra to have Front row in Economy, more leg room. They (airline) provide you with plenty of food, I brought my own snacks, it had your own private TV monitor, with Movies and Games. Seat were a little small, and I am average size. The flight was approx. 12 hours non stop. Just sit back and make yourself comfortable.

Date of travel: November 2018
1  Thank gisjac
Reviewed February 2, 2019

It was my first experience flying with Shenzhen Airlines for my budget trip to Harbin via Shenzhen on Jan 3, 2019. The only reason I booked the flight was the good price. Before flying I was not so sure about the service and its punctuality. The airline website did not provide enough information and it was hard to find reviews about it.

My flight schedule was ZH9048 from Jakarta (03:40) to Shenzhen (08:50) and then continued with ZH9623 from Shenzhen (11:35) to Harbin (15:55) so I should have had 2 hours and 45 minutes to transit in Shenzhen. Both flights with single-aisle planes.

The first flight from Jakarta was delayed about an hour due to late arrival of the plane from Shenzhen. It made me worried. Knowing that I had a connecting flight, the ground staff in Jakarta then helped me by giving front row seat and priority label for my checked baggage in order to speed up my arrival process in Shenzhen airport.

In-flight service was quite nice for the price. They served hot meals (rice with beef or chicken), snacks and variety of beverages. No audio and video on demand (AVOD) but there were fold able TV monitors on the overhead compartment. Magazines were available but most the articles were in Chinese. Nothing so special about the flight but the staff was quite polite in serving the passengers.

Landing time was about two hours late from the schedule so definitely I was not be able to reach my next flight to Harbin. After immigration clearance, I took my bag, and proceeded to domestic departure hall in the same building. I went to the airline service counter to re-arrange my flight. The staff did not speak English well, so we used our smartphones to translate our communication. I saw some passengers from Jakarta with connecting flights did the same things.

I was so lucky I still could get the next flight to Harbin which departed around 14:45 without paying anything. Then I contacted the hotel in Harbin about the change and asked them to reschedule my pick up service time.

The flight from Shenzhen to Harbin was just similar to my previous flight from Jakarta. They served rice with chicken or beef, snacks, and some beverages. The plane landed at Harbin around 20:00 with the temperature around around minus 11 degree Celsius. It stopped at the remote area without the aerobridge, and the passengers should take a bus to reach the terminal. It was quite cold but I had prepared my winter coat and gloves my the hand carry bag to keep me warm.

Some Useful Tips:
1. Pay attention to the baggage policy of the airline. For my flight the rule was: one passenger one baggage max 23 kg. The check-in staff might strictly refused more than one baggage.

2. Bring some things allowed inside the cabin (books, tabs, etc) that may kill time during the flight or simply take a sleep. I myself took a sleep.

3. Always prepare for the temperature difference between the origin airport and the destination. I put my winter coat and gloves inside my hand carry bag, not inside the checked baggage.

4. Prepare printed airline tickets in case needed or simply show them from smartphone. The smartphone can be useful too in helping to communicate with local people.

Date of travel: January 2019