All reviews south downs english pub busy pub sunday roast lovely lunch lovely pub ditchling beacon staff were attentive open fire huge bed village pub lovely room full english evening meal bedlam brighton ales
Reviewed August 19, 2018 via mobile

We stayed at The Bull for two nights as we were attending a wedding nearby.
Whilst the rooms were very well decorated in a boutique and stylish fashion and the staff were very friendly and helpful, we did feel the overall cost of our stay was on the expensive side. Breakfast really should be included in the price or at the very least staying guests could benefit from a discounted menu.
The breakfast itself was lovely with a nice modern choice of options but paying for it on top of the room rate for two days added up and sadly left a bitter taste as you could easily stay in a high-end hotel for the same money or less. It wasn’t helped by even charging us 50p extra when my wife asked for some extra yoghurt to top up her granola- I mean really?!
Overall, it’s a good option to stay in the heart of Ditchling village so long as you’re prepared to push the budget.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2018

We stayed here one night while walking the South Downs Way. The room was a reasonable sized for 2 people, nicely decorated with a lovely shower room. We ate in the pub, Sunday roast, which was fine. Breakfast was excellent, though not included in the room price. There was a good breakfast menu, with individually priced items. The pub is well located in a lovely old Downs village, about 1.5 miles from the SDW footpath.

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2018

We took a spontaneous trip to Ditchling for a walk where we came across this gorgeous pub. I didn’t expect to review this pub as we originally only popped in for a drink however alongside our drinks we had this lovely bread with olive oil and balsamic vinegar and unfortunately I didn’t take a photo of this, but I must say that the taste of this side was stunning and presentation was phenomenal.

After sitting outside in their gorgeous garden, we saw many other customers purchase food that looked absolutely gorgeous, so we couldn’t help our selves and decided to purchase some too. I went for the ‘Cajun chicken burger, avocado and tomato salsa’ I however, asked for no avocado and tomato salsa. The lovely waitress came over to our table 5 minutes later saying that she thought my burger would be bland without any sauce and would I like any sauce, giving me a wide range of options of very unique sauces. I chose to have smoked onion mayo with my burger. I must say, this burger is hands down the best burger I have reviewed and tasted to date, I couldn’t fault it in the slightest.

I will definitely be returning to this gorgeous pub, and I cannot wait, I want to go now! I don’t know what I will have next time as I only viewed the garden menu and there may be many more options on the inside menu and the Pizzas looked stunning!

Definitely Recommend!!

Date of stay: June 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed July 31, 2018 via mobile

Great spot for breakfast in a delightful village. No wonder the lovely Vera Lynn lives here apparently. Lovely hash (veggie and non veggie). The mediocre tea resulted in 4 stars. Given the quality of food loose leaf was expected. Also a service charge of 10% for breakfast a little unexpected.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2018 via mobile

We had friends over from Dubai to stay in Ditchling village where we live. We all dined and they stayed at The Bull. We had a great time in the delightful beer garden in the 25 degree heat and later finishing off in the lovely authentic wood beamed bar area. The local Bedlam brewery beers were great and the roast beef dinners a perfect addition. Bedrooms were very well appointed and breakfasts were traditional “full English”. Highly recommend The Bull to anyone passing by Ditchling. Well done to the Manageress Molly and her team!

Date of stay: July 2018