“Traditional Swiss Food”

Wirtschaft Zum Eigenhof
Ranked #11 of 32 Restaurants in Weinfelden
Reviewed April 4, 2018

I have eaten here a number of times and the food is, for the most part, excellent. However, I have been disappointed on occasion as well. My wife likes the liver served here. I recently had a steak with pepper sauce, which was underwhelming compared to what I normally have here.

Reviewed March 1, 2017

I chose to dine at Eigenhof thanks to the positive reviews here, and as it is one of the few restaurants that are open Sundays. It is conveniently located a mere 10-minute-walk from Weinfelden train station.

On the positive side, the old traditional house is superb, with the dining room being cozy and very "gemütlich". Despite her young age the chef really knows her job, as the dinner was delicious. The menu is short and focuses on traditional Swiss dishes.
As starter I chose lamb's lettuce with bacon and egg. Good and simple - generous portion, the bacon bits were crispy without being greasy. The dressing was not already on the salad, but presented on the side - a very good idea.
As main course I chose one of the house specialties: Veal schnitzel in a mushroom sauce. Delicious, the escalopes were very tender. The service team offered a second helping of spätzli and vegetables - much appreciated.
Eventually I indulged in a traditional dessert: Coupe Nesselrode i.e. chestnut paste (one of the best I have ever tasted), meringues, vanilla ice cream. Tasty and generous portion.

On the negative side, I had the distinct feeling that regular guests got a warm and attentive service, while "newcomers" (including myself) received a polite but not overly friendly service. Slightly disappointing, as I felt a little neglected.

Despite the central location in Weinfelden the bill remains moderate (for Swiss standards): CHF75 for the whole dinner with wine and coffee

Reviewed September 27, 2016

After arriving late in town and looking for food and not speaking German, it was a happy surprise when the chef (and owner's daughter) greeted us and offered to prepare a special dish even though the kitchen had closed. We were given a wonderful salad with a choice of meat. Also, we got a really good local red. Very light but perfect with a salad. We were lucky to find this place and the excellent chef just as we were worried we wouldn't find anything.

1  Thank HuggieSRL
Reviewed March 27, 2016 via mobile

The restaurant with tradition in Weinfelden. Owned and run
By 4 generations of the same family.
Food is traditional Swiss with generous portions in excellent quality at reasonable prices,
Very personal and friendly service by the family or the staff, which has been working there for a longtime.
A very nice Swiss experience for any tourist.

Reviewed January 24, 2016

and for good reason!

In a warm and welcoming atmosphere, this restaurant offers wonderful hearty classics of Swiss cuisine.

We loved the Zurich geschenetzeltes (veal in a superb creamy sauce), the veal and speatzle and those rosti potatoes were the best I've ever had.

Service was prompt and friendly.

We were told this place has been owned by the same family for several generations, and they run it themselves. It shows: love for waht they do must be one of their secret ingredients.

There are lighter options in the menu, i.e. some soup and salad specials.

Excellent value for an authentic experience.

A must-go if in the area, and well worth a detour as well.