We traveled to Sandals Whitehouse the week of Feb 12th
First of all upon arrival (on a Saturday) at the Montego Bay airport expect to wait at least an hour to get through customs (last year waited over 2 hours). To avoid this I was told to travel during the week.
The Sandals waiting area is run down with soda (undrinkable) and water but our bus to the resort arrived within 15 min. so no biggie.
The ride to the resort was 11/2 hours with some bumps and curves but nothing to complain about.
Upon arrival (and we are Sandals Select customers - a joke) we did not for the second year in a row get the room we requested. The Sandals employees who take your reservations make NO attempt to help you receive the room you want. They yes you to death but believe me if they are at or near capacity they make no effort to accomodate requests. We stayed in the Dutch Village (nice and quiet pool) in a concierge deluxe beachfront room. The rooms at Sandals are NEVER as they appear on their website. We paid $750 per night and had a couch and chair in the room that had no support so we couldn't use either. The rooms are in need of major updating. I wish I could get the photographer who took the picture of the rooms to take my picture - I would look like Angelina Joulie!
The grounds and beach are absolutely gorgeous. The weather could not have been more perfect. The food was good not great (but who goes to an all-inclusive expecting gourmet food?). The service was very uneven. The staff was friendly and did try their best but the restaurants in particular are in desperate need of good management. There was no organizational skills exhibited in any of the restaurants although I can't say anything bad about the waitstaff - they were friendly and did try their best.
The crowd there, as has been said in other reviews, were either 20s (just married) or in the 50s but everyone got along.
Aside from being disappointed in our room (given the price) we very much enjoyed ourselves. The beach was perfect for long walks and the pool and grounds were maticulously maintained (I wish I could say the same about the room).
If you are looking for a great place to lay in the sun, take long walks, swim, and just relax this is the resort for you. It's just important to arrive with the proper expectations.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the undiscovered. Journey to a forgotten Jamaica where the natural beauty is simply unforgettable. Within a 500-acre wilderness preserve, blue mountains, lush palm groves, pristine coastlines and shimmering turquoise waters create an unbelievable backdrop for a monumental resort. Sandals Whitehouse Europe Village & Spa perfectly blends the exotic allure of the Caribbean with the refined elegance of Europe. Charming Italian piazzas and fountains are surrounded by gardens resplendent with fragrant foliage, while three European-inspired villages – Italian, French and Dutch – are home to luxuriously-appointed, all oceanfront rooms and suites. Each one offers magnificent views overlooking the two-mile long beach, and top tier suites come with Sandals’ legendary Butler Service. Seven restaurants serve mouthwatering gourmet cuisine from around the world, and entertainment ranges from a sophisticated piano bar to bonfire beach parties and a chic nightclub. This resort is truly a world unto itself, where time is all but forgotten and the only moment is now. World Travel Awards: Sandals Resorts “World’s Leading All – Inclusive Company,” 16 years in a row. Sandals Resorts “Caribbean’s Leading Hotel Brand,” 18 years in a row. Sandals Whitehouse “Jamaica’s Leading Spa Resort” Five Star Diamond Award, American Academy of Hospitality Sciences. We’re so very pleased to announce that Sandals Whitehouse European Villages & Spa has been named in Condé Nast Traveler’s Voted 2012 Readers' Choice Awards “Top 15 Hotels & Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 10 and “Top 30 Resorts in the Caribbean,” coming in at No. 4 as part of the annual “Best in the World” poll. Presented Certificate of Excellence for 2012 and Travelers' Choice Hotel for 2012. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia so you can book your Sandals South Coast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandals Whitehouse European Village Hotel Whitehouse
- Whitehouse Sandals
- Sandals Whitehouse Jamaica